Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Cantered bindings... discuss...

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Ocho 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey hey,

So when I bought my new Rossignol Jibsaw I figured I'd be riding a little wider than I might be used to to play more butters etc...

I ended up getting the Rossi Cuda bindings too. Part of the reason was the cant-ing I thought would be better for my 33 year old knees!

Anyone else here invested in canted bindings? All hype and no delivery? Notice the difference? Would never turn back?

Cheers!

Dave

#5 ·
Anyone else here invested in cantered bindings? All hype and no delivery? Notice the difference? Would never turn back?
Its "canting" or "canted bindings", as zk0ot pointed out, cantering is what a horse does....

anyhow, i had a few with, a few without. Helped with knee pain on me for sure, but after switching back to no canting, i could go either way. Its definitely good to have, but proper footbeds help a ton too.

#8 ·
i have a pair of k2 formulas from 2012 on one of my boards with a 3 degree canting.. for whatever reason, may or may not be the canting, but i really dislike the binding. just feels a little restrictive in a sense. i find my self to be more of an aggressive rider and i feel a lot more natural on flat footbed bindings. i guess they just arent for me

#12 ·
Two questions come to mind reading this,.. I presume that the formidable degree of canting on the rear foot only? That helps with keeping weight forward on your lead foot while reducing strain on your back knee?

Second; how do you keep the foam in the footbed of your (make/model?) bindings. I'd like to try that to add some more canting to my Cartels, but their footbed pads have adjustments for the "gas pedal" and flip up to access the mounting screws. Any way to do this without destroying the original binding footbeds? (...guess that was three questions!)

[edit]
Lets make it four questions. Any noticeable change, problems when riding switch with that one footed, asymmetrical canting?

#13 ·
since you already bought it doesn't really matter but i usually tell my friends to get a pair of romes with multiple inserts so they can try it with no consequences.

My personal experience is that it takes a day or 2 to get used to but you don't have to press your knees out over your ankles\feet and its a bit easier on you. That is just my experience.

#19 · (Edited)
The idea isnt to correct a foot problem per say. the idea is to keep the leg in line at a wide stance. and give a more direct point of contact / leverage (like popping off a skateboard tail)
if youre suffering from pronation / supination insoles are the better answer.
i drew some lines on a photo.
you can see the canting of the left is trying to make the angle of the leg as close to perpendicular as possible... where the right, the leg/ankle needs to bend to that same perpendicular position. = causing fatigue/ strain

Attachments

#22 ·
Interesting, thanks. Definitely planning on trying some Remind insoles soon.

Experimented with raising my feet laterally/medially in a snowboard stance. Found that if I lifted medially (increased supination), my hips and low back (sacrum) were quite happy. Lifting laterally caused my knees to push inward and sacrum brace a bit. I'm assuming lifting wouldn't be much different from wedging something on each side so I didn't get that far into it.

So it seems canting is to address the alignment of knees to hips rather than feet to knees? My knees are solid so perhaps insoles only are the way to go for me. Although my sacrum might really benefit from canting. Especially when cantering isn't always so kind to it, depending on the horse ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.