Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rider: 5'11 185 lbs - Size 10 Nike Zoom Force 1 - Burton Cartels - Size 159

I picked this board up after hours of research, with the goal in mind to find a directional cambered board with a larger rockered nose for powder. I wanted to be able to haul ass, have some playful characteristics, have some agility, while also being a great performer in powder.

Board: Really interesting board. Softer tip and tail that give it a fun buttery feel. The board really stiffens up between the bindings. A medium torsional flex which really creates a nimble ride when needed. Very light board. Feel free to size this one up. It rides slightly shorter than you would think. I could have had a 162 without a problem if you wanted more powder performance.

Performance: To the positives. The board is great at speed. You could mach morning groomers and hold a strong edge. The flex of the board throws you off a bit. At first you wonder how hard you can push it. Well push it. The board gets locked in edge and allows you to lay a deep long trench, or due to the torsional flex, you can get in and out of tight turns and trees. Tree runs were a blast. Some really good pop from this board, that really makes this board feel like you can create a slack country terrain park without a problem. The board was amazing in powder. Float with ease.

The negatives. Not many for me. You are going to feel more under foot than most boards that fit this genre, of an aggressive directional board with a rockered up nose for powder. Isn't the best board for the chunder. You'll feel it. The nose will flap a bit, but if you don't care, it doesn't effect the performance at all. This board feels more and more stable at speed, so if you can ignore the nose, you are fine.

Overall thoughts - This board was EXACTLY what I wanted. Again, I was shocked by the playfulness of the board. Typically the BSODs are pretty damn stiff boards, but this model was made significantly more playful than the TFKn Awesome. It's a fun, floaty, carver that can crush morning groomers, get into the deep and perform, and then needle through the trees without letting you down. This could easily be my daily driver. I wanted some versatility from just being a stiff groomer board that performs well in powder, and I got it. Buy this board if the description fits you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would've written the exact same review. Picking up another one at years end. Best board. Cheers.

First time time out was pretty nervous that I had made a huge mistake, the flex is pretty mellow but its still a beast when you want it to bed. Apparently theyre stiffening it up next, not sure how I feel about that.

(this board sucks dont buy it) :dry:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's one of the most well thought out snowboards I have ridden. I know they are stiffening it up next year, but they are messing with perfection. The only thing I might change about this board, is adding that rubber dampening that the Capita Ultrafear has, but even then, this board is so dialed its tough to mess with perfection.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
This makes me happy too, because while I've felt the board sometimes lacks edge hold on hard groomers, I now know this is due to my own lack of skill. :embarrased1:

At the risk of getting slammed by more experienced riders I'll add my own take on this, mainly to provide a less experienced rider's perspective of riding the same board.

Board: '14 162
Days on the board: 17
Rider: 187 cm / 6'2", 90 kg / 200 lbs geared up, beginner/intermediate.
Boots: Nitro Team TLS '13 size 44/290/11
Bindings: Burton Cartel Re:Flex '13 size L
Stance: Regular stance, mainly +27/+12 at 58 cm (23 inch) or +15/-15 at 62 cm (24½ inch)

Conditions: Um...most of them? Everything from snowment to corn snow to knee-waist deep Honshu powder. No wait, I haven't done any riding in rain & slush, nor pure ice. Inclines up to 39°. I've taken it on and off the groomers, and done some very mellow park too: straight airs off blue jumps and the occasional box.

The board really comes to life at higher speed. She wants to go fast. On slow days she can feel almost a little clumsy. It's definitely better to ride it fast, and with confidence.

The base is fast, albeit not crazy fast. It seems pretty strong too - I've hit some trees and other unknown objects under the snow but the base (and edges) show no real signs of wear so far.

The topsheet is a completely different story though. A number of dings from said trees are showing already.

I second that powdery tree runs are pure joy. Moguls not so much; you get bucked around hard. Once again, rider's skill level is low, but Madame BSOD does not feel like helping out. :)

Good float. In the deepest snow I did have to go into the back seat not to no plummet, with some severe rear leg burn as a consequence. However I did ride it centered all the time, and I regret not setting it back the last two days in Japan.

The nose is soft, and every now and then perhaps even a bit too soft? In moguls it almost felt like the nose folded on me sometimes on a toeside turn, resulting in a rebound and a fall.

Rather than stiffening up between the bindings I'd say it's the flat section from the rear binding and back that's stiff. It's still not so hard to press but you have to work for it a bit. Pretty easy to flex torsionally. Stable on landings, at least on a blue jump. :D

Definitely not damp. You feel the vibrations from hard corduroy a lot.

All in all it seems to be a good board and I look forward to growing as a snowboarder to make the best of it. :)

My .02

(this board sucks dont buy it) :dry:
You confuse me. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Finally rode the board last week at silver my. Idaho love this board differently feels better at higher speed. Not as fun for goofing off as my bataleon boss. But then again I didn't buy it for that. I'll probably buy the 2016 model next year. The edge hold was great but I did notice it wants speed to hold a great on hard pack.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This makes me happy too, because while I've felt the board sometimes lacks edge hold on hard groomers, I now know this is due to my own lack of skill. :embarrased1:

At the risk of getting slammed by more experienced riders I'll add my own take on this, mainly to provide a less experienced rider's perspective of riding the same board.

Board: '14 162
Days on the board: 17
Rider: 187 cm / 6'2", 90 kg / 200 lbs geared up, beginner/intermediate.
Boots: Nitro Team TLS '13 size 44/290/11
Bindings: Burton Cartel Re:Flex '13 size L
Stance: Regular stance, mainly +27/+12 at 58 cm (23 inch) or +15/-15 at 62 cm (24½ inch)

Conditions: Um...most of them? Everything from snowment to corn snow to knee-waist deep Honshu powder. No wait, I haven't done any riding in rain & slush, nor pure ice. Inclines up to 39°. I've taken it on and off the groomers, and done some very mellow park too: straight airs off blue jumps and the occasional box.

The board really comes to life at higher speed. She wants to go fast. On slow days she can feel almost a little clumsy. It's definitely better to ride it fast, and with confidence.

The base is fast, albeit not crazy fast. It seems pretty strong too - I've hit some trees and other unknown objects under the snow but the base (and edges) show no real signs of wear so far.

The topsheet is a completely different story though. A number of dings from said trees are showing already.

I second that powdery tree runs are pure joy. Moguls not so much; you get bucked around hard. Once again, rider's skill level is low, but Madame BSOD does not feel like helping out. :)

Good float. In the deepest snow I did have to go into the back seat not to no plummet, with some severe rear leg burn as a consequence. However I did ride it centered all the time, and I regret not setting it back the last two days in Japan.

The nose is soft, and every now and then perhaps even a bit too soft? In moguls it almost felt like the nose folded on me sometimes on a toeside turn, resulting in a rebound and a fall.

Rather than stiffening up between the bindings I'd say it's the flat section from the rear binding and back that's stiff. It's still not so hard to press but you have to work for it a bit. Pretty easy to flex torsionally. Stable on landings, at least on a blue jump. :D

Definitely not damp. You feel the vibrations from hard corduroy a lot.

All in all it seems to be a good board and I look forward to growing as a snowboarder to make the best of it. :)

My .02

You confuse me. :)

As you progress, you'll find this board extremely agile and fun even at slower speeds. For this type of profile, I haven't found another board that can cruise if you aren't feeling like pushing it. Agreed that it wants to go fast, but it's probably the easiest type to mellow out considering the competitors (Burton Flight Attendant, Jones, etc)

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do you like the 16' BSOD? I was thinking about picking one up but can not find too many reviews on the 16'. Looks like there where a few changes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to a rep about the '16 model. The only thing they did was add carbon forks in the tip and tail. It's going to take away some of the butterability from the board, and probably add some pop to the tip and tail. Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. He assured me the core was staying the same.

I have about 12 days on BSOD. Want to get more days to see how it fully breaks in, but it's pretty nice as is. I would almost go for the '15 since there are still sites that have stock. I like the play in the tips. It really didn't effect charging for me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I do notice a difference in curve shape on the tip and tail of both. I'm looking forward to this season on the 16 model. I do like the addition of the carbon forks since I felt the 15 model slapped the snow to much.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm 5'10", 170lbs with an 8.5 boot. I had a 159 '13 BSOD, but sold it.

Definitely want another one at some point. Would you recommend I stick with the 159 I had, or go up to the 162? Unfortunately, riding powder is not something I get to do a whole lot. But I have 158 Yes Greats also, which makes me think I should get the 162 to "balance" my quiver.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would get what you enjoy riding. If that is in the '58 range, get it.

I did the sizing up on a quiver once, and found that unless I had the powder, I was gravity toward my shorter boards for agility and free style purposes. So the longest board sat in the house a lot.

If powder opportunities are really rare, get the 159. You'll ride it more often.

·
Registered
320 Posts
just picked one up and wondering where you guys are mounting up your bindings... off the reference points or shifting one way or the other?

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
just picked one up and wondering where you guys are mounting up your bindings... off the reference points or shifting one way or the other?
At 187 cm (6'2") height I've been using the reference positions of my 162 for positive angles, and +1 position outside for duck stance. But now I'm switching to bindings with 2x4 holes instead of the normal 4x4, and I'll probably go another 0.5 further out (with 2x4 you can't set the bindings at the reference points, they will always be either at +0.5 or -0.5).

·
Registered
833 Posts
Any of you guys know how the '16 BSOD compares to the Mercury and DOA? I'm interested in learning more about all 3 as a potential replacement for my Yes Greats...no park, groomers and pow only for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts