Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a car or maybe a truck for getting me up to the snow safely. I currently drive a 00 Trans Am and thats not the best choice so it keeps me from getting up the mountain as much as Id like basically I only go on sunny days. Id like to be able to go on days where its somewhat snowing but nothing to crazy, Ive never driven in the snow so all the advice you can give is appreciated.

Im looking at the AWD WRXs and Eclipe's, what other choices are out there or are these even a good choice?? Im leaning more towrds the WRX since im into sports cars but am up for suggestions. Toyota Tacomas are nice as well but id like a car before a truck.

Thx

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I love my wrx with snow tires. Totally confidence inspiring, just remember you still stop almost as bad as everyone else in the snow. Speeding up and slowing down is different of course. ;)

What's your budget and intended use? If it's just to get up and down the mountain I would get a beater. Maybe an older subaru with awd. Older forester or legacy wagon so you can bring your gear up without needing the extra expense of a rack.

Also once you do pick up your 'snow' vehicle, you should try to get some snow seat time and practice in empty snow covered lots. You can get used to your vehicle; how it turns, shifting the weight, stopping distance etc...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill be replacing my TA with this car and was wanting to keep the price under $10k, it will be my daily driver. Probably get an extra set of wheels so I can have a set mounted with normal tires and a set with snow tires. A rack wont bother me as much as driving a station wagon would, im still somewhat young and without kids, lol.

When do chains come into play??

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love my 2001 S4, Quattro is great in the snow and the car is very comfortable. You can definitely find a good 2000-2002 s4 for under 10k too, very moddable if you want to go down that road too.

You won't need chains if you get an awd car.

·
Registered
414 Posts
AWD is not enough though, you also need the all season or snow tires. AWD wouldn't do shit for traction if the tires freeze.

We are an audi family too. :thumbsup: Q5 3.2 quattro + 08' S4. the Q's got all seasons and the S4's got the snow tires. Driving in the storm with the s4 was a little gnarly though because of the torque.

Find yourself a Subaru, i've never seen those dudes have any issues, i'm sure you could find one for under 10k that would still be fun as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
WRX all the way out of your choices. Can consider a Mitsu Lancer Evo as well.

Great thing about trucks and suvs though is that you can haul more gear and friends.

Make sure you get good tires. Goodyear makes really good all season tires. Triple tread or something like that, I forgot.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Stay away from Audi unless money is not an issue. I had a used A4, loved it, but an alternator goes for 350$ just the part...and audi dealers will RAPE you blind.

LOVE my 06 WRX, with all-season tires has magnatraction on the road and you never catch an edge ;) I have the SW one, perfect to store my board inside and go. Not a glitch in 78K, just a front light popped last week, chenged them with brighetr ones..better than before.
get the new WRX...that baby has 265-HP...basically like an old STI. I have 237 and its way more than I will ever need...

Looking to buy a car or maybe a truck for getting me up to the snow safely. I currently drive a 00 Trans Am and thats not the best choice so it keeps me from getting up the mountain as much as Id like basically I only go on sunny days. Id like to be able to go on days where its somewhat snowing but nothing to crazy, Ive never driven in the snow so all the advice you can give is appreciated.

Im looking at the AWD WRXs and Eclipe's, what other choices are out there or are these even a good choice?? Im leaning more towrds the WRX since im into sports cars but am up for suggestions. Toyota Tacomas are nice as well but id like a car before a truck.

Thx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like ill be looking at the WRXs which is good cause thats what I was more drawn to, just gotta put my car back to stock, sell it and begin the search!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Car

Don't know where you live so it's hard to determine need. I think you never go wrong with a Subee. Audis are cool but may be more expensive to maintain. A Subaru should give you over 200,000 miles. Snowtires complete the picture. WRXs (and other sports cars) tend to be driven harder and so may break more. Get a basic model and spend the extra money on snow tires and a good sound system. As gas pricing goes back to $4 per (it will), you'll be glad you're not doing the SUV thing.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
hmmm"rips" what?
All I know is that the EVO costs almost twice as much as my WRX ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mitsubishi

I live in Japan. Mitsubishi has a horrible reputation here. Subaru is bullet proof. Just saying...

If you goal is how fast you can go, I can't help you. Grew out of that phase a long time ago. If you goal is how you can reliably get to the powder, I've got some serious chops. I'm not putting down going fast, I just don't see the point any more. As gas goes up, I think others will feel the same.

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
hmmm"rips" what?
All I know is that the EVO costs almost twice as much as my WRX ;)
EVO 9 rips on all WRXs :D

It's an age old battle, but EVO 9 is the victor. Even the new EVO out performs the WRXs in the handling department. There is a video on youtube testing those two cars side by side. WRX rips on the new EVO in the speed department, but the EVO is faster on a winding track and off-road.

I still like the EVO 9. That version is a beast.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a huge fan of WRXs also. I would be happy with either cars.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in Northern California and am just looking to make it to the snow on days where its snowing but not like a blizzard, if that makes sense. Im not looking to make the car go fast or anything like that, well I may upgrade a thing or two but I have that problem, lol. Eventually ill get another f-body or maybe a vette to satisfy my power needs.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and as far as upkeep goes thats not a problem since I do my own work so I usually save in that department. Hopeing to pick a car out before next season!!

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
I live in Japan. Mitsubishi has a horrible reputation here. Subaru is bullet proof. Just saying...

If you goal is how fast you can go, I can't help you. Grew out of that phase a long time ago. If you goal is how you can reliably get to the powder, I've got some serious chops. I'm not putting down going fast, I just don't see the point any more. As gas goes up, I think others will feel the same.
Yea, Mitsu does have a bad reputation for most of their cars. Here in America too. However, their Lancer EVO has always been respected. In fact, that is what bothers a lot of people. They can build a marvelous machine like the EVO, yet they churn out crap for their other models. The EVO and WRX used to be mortal enemies in the rally scene. Nobody can deny the power of the EVO during those times.

Speed is not my issue. I already mentioned that the new EVO is slower on a straight line. EVO is known for it's excellent handling on multiple terrains and conditions.

I do agree with the Suburu quality though. Those things keep kicking.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I KNOOOOW ! I know!....:) I can feel the hate from mitsu drivers...lol, oyu have to admit that the WRX gives you similar performance, at much less $

YouTube - [0-60] Ken Block's snowboard/rally bit from DC's Mtn.Lab 1.5

Ken Block snowboarding with his STI

WRX vs EVo...final nbattle...WRX dominates ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFWGfdTnk4

It's an age old battle, but EVO 9 is the victor. Even the new EVO out performs the WRXs in the handling department. There is a video on youtube testing those two cars side by side. WRX rips on the new EVO in the speed department, but the EVO is faster on a winding track and off-road.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a huge fan of WRXs also. I would be happy with either cars.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Are we talking WRX's or WRX STi's here?

I'd go with an STi > Evo any day of the week, but if we're just comparing an Evo to a WRX, then you're right, the Evo stomps it.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Oh no not an evo vs wrx/sti thing again...lol If anyone is a fan of the cars neither one is gonna be stock and it'll be up to the driver at that point anyway. I've been on enough car forums to never hear the end of it. :laugh:

Having driven both though I like the visceral feeling the subaru does compared to the evo. The evo felt 'toyish', like I wasn't really driving.

About the wagon, hey I ain't that old yet....well turning 37 this year so I guess I am...:laugh: But the wagons can look cool.

My friends wagon and I'm behind him. :)

I like the audi's but it's hard to find a used one without electrical problems IMO. When you get one without an electrical gremlin they're beautiful but maintenance is a bit higher.

You should be able to pick up an older 02-03 for under $10k but just watch out for the tranny, they don't like being beat on.

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
Are we talking WRX's or WRX STi's here?

I'd go with an STi > Evo any day of the week, but if we're just comparing an Evo to a WRX, then you're right, the Evo stomps it.
STi. I'm not talking just any EVO. The EVO 9 specifically. Also the new EVO in those videos is the EVO X. The EVO MR is a better handling car than all of the cars in that video. Power wise, STI always wins though. No debate from me about that aspect :D

Like I said, I am a huge STI fan as well. They are certainly way more affordable. I just harbor love for Mitsu since I have been a fan of their Galants (99-2003). In fact, I drive an 03 Galant GTZ. I used to have lots of plans for this car, but sadly it may never come to fruition :(

I wanted to drop a VR 4 engine in it and supe it up. Maybe in the future.

To be perfectly honest, the evo and sti are neck and neck. What one possesses, the other lacks.

Want to know which car I would take over all of these including a Lambo/Ferrari? GTR. Nuff said.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts