Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up to the shocking scene of my driver side window shattered and trunk door open (suv) this morning. My two snowboards were stolen. :(

I'm in Connecticut, if anybody sees these show up please let me know so I can let the police know. It's not even just the snowboard, my car is parked right outside my door of my condo, so there's the creepy factor.

The boards are:
Rossignol Frenemy '16 (147cm) + Burton Lexa ' 16 in black: top sheet has dark red roses, bottom is purple with Rossignol written in Orange font

Burton A49 '?? (149cm?) + Burton Scribe'?? in white: top sheet is super faded ivory color with 4 animals, bottom is hot pink with the same 4 animals. Attached is picture of same model but different color.

I don't care about the a49 but thought it'd help for police investigation.

They didn't take my helmet, my Oakley goggles (that was very visible right on the passenger seat), or the boots. But they did take my cheap face mask and just one side of the glove liner. The other pair was just left on the floor. Pretty sure they know nothing about boards, since a49 is more trouble to carry than it is worth.

My neighborhood is safe (except today) with extremely high real estate taxes. And I live only few blocks from the police station. I still feel like I shouldn't have left the boards in the car but I've been doing that for the last 5 years, same car all along. So upset today. :(

And the weather God continues to annoy me, now he/she is sending rain tomorrow so gotta figure out way to fix the glass asap.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Keep an eye on craigslist. And pawn shops. I find it kind of unlikely that women's boards were taken for either personal use or to give to someone they know. My guess is a pawn shop for something like this.

Being in CT I'm guessing they been in your car a while. We're going on a month with most places closed!

If you have renters/homeowners you can give it a shot but there's a pretty good chance after deductible and possibly depreciation its not worth the claim.

On the plus side everything is going on sale!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
My renters is only a $50 deductible so it's definitely worth it....
I don't think your insurance will accept her claim :)

She could have a $1500 deductible. Simply advising to roll the numbers before making the claim taking into account deductible and possible premium increases due to the claim if they now mark it as a higher crime location.

BTW, it is great advice to at least check on insurance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I just went to Killington yesterday, and still have 3 tickets left. And was hoping to go to Colorado in early May. Now I'd have to buy a board if I want to ride on that trip.

Most likely my stuff would add up to barely hit the deductible. But while cleaning the glass out, it did occur to me that they took more than the boards. (I was too distraught with the loss to notice other things.) The battery jumper (the one that is a giant battery on its own), industrial grade jumper cables, and tire air pump (the one that connects to the cigarette lighter outlet.) You see I'm a pretty paranoid person and I'm going to have anxiety driving around without them. Haha... :(

The police said they check into pawn shops. Which is good. I've never been to pawn shops and they sound scary (totally going off of the scenes seen on TV shows only.)

So on the positive note, I do have 3 Killington tickets left. Up for grabs since I won't be using them now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The police said they check into pawn shops. Which is good. I've never been to pawn shops and they sound scary (totally going off of the scenes seen on TV shows only.)
Chances are the thief won't go to a pawn shop. There is video surveillance that could identify them. Also, pawn shop owners don't want stolen property so they are wise to details. I doubt it was a woman that broke into your car. If you're a guy and you try to sell a woman's board to a pawn shop, I'm pretty sure the operator will see that as a red flag. I would count on them not showing up at a pawn shop.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The lowlife that did this are all alike. They are looking for anything at all sitting in a car that they can turn into cash. It does not matter what it is, they have learned how to turn everything and anything into cash. It is how they make it "work".

They will walk along a street and look into every car. Empty, empty, empty and then yours with something in it. Window done, contents gone. It takes only seconds and it matters not what the socio - economic neighbourhood they are in. All cars are fair game.

You have been lucky to have gone as long as you have and not been hit before. I'm sorry that your number came up and you are now experiencing the very real feeling of being violated. There are few feelings in life worse than that. Chalk it up to a learning experience where no one got hurt.

Hit the spring sales and score yourself a nice new ride. You will ride again. :snowboard2:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
also check ebay frequently. From my experiences with meth heads is that they'll most likely trade their loot to their dealers for a score. they don't really go to pawn shops unless they know a good shady one that dodges cops. or they'll try to sell it directly to consumers themselves. i.e. go to a near buy mountain and try to find a buyer near a snowboard rental store or the car stuff near a autozone. Claim renters insurance, they also stole your snow chains, snowboard jacket and pants and your gucci sunglasses. >:)

well.. these are the experienced fuckers in LA, meth heads are dumb but I don't underestimate them.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Claim renters insurance, they also stole your snow chains, snowboard jacket and pants and your gucci sunglasses. >:)
That's insurance fraud, which oddly probably holds a stiffer penalty than the dude who stole it and probably has more investigators looking to stop than cops looking for her stuff.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That's insurance fraud, which oddly probably holds a stiffer penalty than the dude who stole it and probably has more investigators looking to stop than cops looking for her stuff.
it was a joke, that's what the ">:)" was for. From my own personal experience cops won't find shit. maybe the police in VT and mass are different, but the ones here in los angeles dont go out of their way. only way they find stuff is if they stumble on to it, which is a slim chance.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
it was a joke, that's what the ">:)" was for. From my own personal experience cops won't find shit. maybe the police in VT and mass are different, but the ones here in los angeles dont go out of their way. only way they find stuff is if they stumble on to it, which is a slim chance.
I wasn't being serious in that way either. Just making a funny on how odds are you'd be the one caught, not this thief.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I woke up to the shocking scene of my driver side window shattered and trunk door open (suv) this morning. My two snowboards were stolen. :(

I'm in Connecticut, if anybody sees these show up please let me know so I can let the police know. It's not even just the snowboard, my car is parked right outside my door of my condo, so there's the creepy factor.

The boards are:
Rossignol Frenemy '16 (147cm) + Burton Lexa ' 16 in black: top sheet has dark red roses, bottom is purple with Rossignol written in Orange font

Burton A49 '?? (149cm?) + Burton Scribe'?? in white: top sheet is super faded ivory color with 4 animals, bottom is hot pink with the same 4 animals. Attached is picture of same model but different color.

I don't care about the a49 but thought it'd help for police investigation.

They didn't take my helmet, my Oakley goggles (that was very visible right on the passenger seat), or the boots. But they did take my cheap face mask and just one side of the glove liner. The other pair was just left on the floor. Pretty sure they know nothing about boards, since a49 is more trouble to carry than it is worth.

My neighborhood is safe (except today) with extremely high real estate taxes. And I live only few blocks from the police station. I still feel like I shouldn't have left the boards in the car but I've been doing that for the last 5 years, same car all along. So upset today. :(

And the weather God continues to annoy me, now he/she is sending rain tomorrow so gotta figure out way to fix the glass asap.
fucking pukes......grrr hate when board gear shit is stolen most of us dirtbags can't afford to be buying new shit all the time!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for venting with me! It helps... And at least something positive, the glass situation got resolved before noon. They even cleaned all the shattered glass mess I didn't know what to do with. I was very grateful for the complete service at the shop.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I am so so sorry to read this story @byebyeblackbird :(:(:(:( It really pisses me off. I think we are all guilty for leaving stuff in our cars. This is def. a wake up call to all of us to not do that anymore. Its really upsetting and esp because you had few days left to ride in VT!!!!!!!!

I hope they catch the losers. Read @Noreaster 's story. Her DD's board was stolen and a guy showed up riding it at the same mountain!!!!! Idiots of the world!!!! Maybe your stuff will turn up too. Keep telling people and get the word out with the pictures.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,165 Posts
I take pictures of all my boards and close ups of any serial numbers which I keep on my phone. Also,.. I never leave my boards unlocked. Even in the car. If I intend to leave them in it overnight, I wrap a cable around a seat mount & lock the boards with it.

Those types of "smash & grab" douches are usually in a hurry! They don't want to hang around to try and figure out how to get them loose!

(...that said, I had to replace my stolen board lock and cable! Boards were fine, sumbody took the cable cuz I left it lying around!) :blink: :laugh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts