Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
ROCKETBOX.
Pros: holds more, don't have to worry about stuff flying off, protects your gear from debris/crap, LOCKS, can put other stuff besides skis/poles/boards.
Cons: harder to store... I guess? Might be more expensive.. dunno.
edit: wind drag = GAS = $$$

In my experience, racks are hard to deal with compared to a rocketbox.

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Bigger gas penalty with a box. You'll pay more. Wind drag and such is a pain. Still, they are probably the best way to carry your gear.

Thule and Yakima make the best rack systems. I do have a 4 board carrier on my racks, I did not get the box. The main reason being that the box is 4 times as much and I'm spending the money on other stuff. The racks lock down, and I've never had a problem leaving a board on them while I am out riding. To to each his own though.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You can lock the board in the car....if you need to leave one there when you ride.
I got mine for the rare occasion my family wants to hit the slopes when its snows. Our other car is a minivan. I used it maybe 3 times last season, I have a Thule, works ,well, a lot of wind noise and drag, but leaves room inside the car. On a normal l( solo) day, I put my board in the car.
How many times will you actually use the rack?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gota 06 4dr 3 series bmw, and i don wana keep puttin my boards in my car, ruins the interior etc and i would use the rack alot, i actually make it to the mountain atleast 15ish times

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a yakima rack and works well. There is a lot of drag and gas drains. Like others I use the rack when I need seating room in my car for others.

Get a snowboard bag and place your board in there so it won't scratch up the car and it keeps your car dry.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I agree with getting Thule or Yakima racks. I have had Thule on my Golf and now on my Civic, both times I had the 4 board holder thing. Works good, locks up and stuff. I would like to get that low profile box but it's too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rack

I have an Audi A4 ...Get a Thule rack... with a thule fairing.. if you buy the parts separately on eBay or craigslist you will save big bucks...

what you need...

1. Foot mounts.

2. Fit Kit- For your car.

3. Load Bars.

4. Ski/Snowboard rack attachment..Thule 91725 Flat Top Ski Carrier is the one i have. I can carry four snowboards at a time or 6 pairs of skis.

5. Locks.

6. Fairing- Wind shield.

Go to the Thule site and the will give you all the fitting info you need..

Ive used it over 15 times this season.. its very easy to use and it looks great.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OEM ones usually look the best but are often more expensive... that being said Yakima and Thule are both nice.

Having owned both I'd go with the yakima. The yakima rack I have mounts to the car a little bit better, and with the round bars you can easily rotate the ski rack back when not in use to reduce wind resistance. You can also use thule carriers on yakima bars and vice versa.

Like DonSantanaNYC said try to get it off ebay/CL if you want to save money.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice to hear that about the Yakima, S4Shredr. I've got a B5 S4 too and thought I might actually be losing a bit of quality by going with a cheaper Yakima compared to the Thule.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yea i havnt seen any yamika reack recently but i hear good things... I like that round load bar idea though... I have a black on black A4 B6 the thule kit looks pretty good. Ill post some pics soon..

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Yakima or Thule. Period.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts