83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm look at the Cartels, 390 Boss, Union Atlas. All 2012-2013 models

Can people way in on:
Stiffness
Comfort
Flex
Overall experience?

I'm looking for a binding that's good all around.
I'm a down hill longboarder, this is my off season. So if any longboarders want to share their input it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
pick based on colours matching your board, or look into the pro riders on the company's team and choose based on the raddest pro.

I vote for the cartel since i think Burton bindings are better than union and rome

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't owned the 390 or Union, so I can only speak for the Cartel's.

They are great all around bindings, super comfy and durable. Responsive but not too stiff.

The only issue I've had is the toe buckle coming loose occasionally, kind of annoying but an easy fix.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've ridden all three and like them all but like the atlases the best.

Soft enough or stiff enough to be on any board you own.
Quick Forward Lean Adustment.
Lightweight.
Straps don't get in my way and are comfy.
You can rock them over the toe or old school convertible. Deathgrip when rocking them on your toe.

Simple, awesome bindings.

I do agree with supra though, you can't really go wrong with any. Pick the color that stokes you out the most, or the pro, philosophy you like best.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Do you prefer metal or plastic? That might make a difference. Also whichever you can find the best deal on. Last season's Cartels for me and I like it.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I think Union bindings are pretty good, but I'm a big fan of canting footbeds, which Union doesn't seem to offer so I could never use them for long. I think Romes canting options are perfect for me, but overall I think Rome is like Union, pretty good. As much as I hate giving my money to Burton, I've always been impressed with their bindings more so than Union or Rome.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I think Union bindings are pretty good, but I'm a big fan of canting footbeds, which Union doesn't seem to offer so I could never use them for long. I think Romes canting options are perfect for me, but overall I think Rome is like Union, pretty good. As much as I hate giving my money to Burton, I've always been impressed with their bindings more so than Union or Rome.
It's great to live in a free world.

Bottom line, all 3 of these are great bindings. Here are some of the main differences in my OPINION.

Burton - Unibody baseplate.
Rome & Union - Adjustable heelcups.

Union & Burton - Anatomic baseplates.
Rome - Anatomic everything, except the actual nylon baseplate is symmetrical.

Regarding canting - We've been working on this for a while, and will have canting on a model or 2 next year. The reason we haven't pursued it is simply because none of the team guys have wanted it. I think until we see a significant amount of guys asking for it, it's not going to be something we offer across the line. Out of 100 people we give bindings to, I've heard the request from maybe 4. The reason for this is probably because non of them ride huge stances. It's a non issue.

Back to work. Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Have a good day!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had a huge boner for canting a year or so back and when I finally got some bindings with canting....they felt fucking weird. I had to bang my stance out wider for it to not feel weird, but then I didn't like having such a wide stance. I guess my knees felt better after a long day, but could have been conditions, iono.

Bottom line I could take it or leave it.

/cool story, bro.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I had a huge boner for canting a year or so back and when I finally got some bindings with canting....they felt fucking weird. I had to bang my stance out wider for it to not feel weird, but then I didn't like having such a wide stance. I guess my knees felt better after a long day, but could have been conditions, iono.

Bottom line I could take it or leave it.

/cool story, bro.
"I can't lock in my nosepresses with cants bro" Haha:laugh:

·
Registered
33 Posts
CArtels and Atlas = secks. Haven't tried last yrs Rome Boss.

Stiffness - Med, highback is not soft and doesn't fold. good response on both
Comfort - secks, plenty of cushioning (footbed) and no pressure points (ankle and toe straps.)
Flex - middle, not stiff or soft
Overall experience = hot secks for both.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Regarding canting - We've been working on this for a while, and will have canting on a model or 2 next year. The reason we haven't pursued it is simply because none of the team guys have wanted it. I think until we see a significant amount of guys asking for it, it's not going to be something we offer across the line. Out of 100 people we give bindings to, I've heard the request from maybe 4. The reason for this is probably because non of them ride huge stances. It's a non issue.
I believe it, canting isn't really a big deal for most riders, but it's helps me out tremendously with knee issues, hence why I've mostly stayed away from Union. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for Unions canting options next season.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts