Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great tips from everyone! I would spend some money in riding lessons if I was you, then maby a new board.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I currently have seven boards in my quiver and spend a lot of time just carving.
My favorites for carving in no particular order are

K2 Simple Pleasures
Amplid Pillowtalk
Capita Outerspace Living
Endeavor Archetype

The other boards are:
Korua Dart
K2 Manifest
Burton Skipjack Surf (need to try this again as I don't ride it often)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great tips from everyone! I would spend some money in riding lessons if I was you, then maby a new board.
Thanks Kieloa, I also believe the power of education, too. However, I cannot see anybody who ride carving perfectly in Turkey yet. Or, no instructor for advanced carving techniques. I have been touch with couple of friends, who are in the same position with me. We are all trying to improve our skills from other sources but instructors.

3 years ago, when I just decided to go for snowboarding, I took 1 hour lesson from a licensed instructor. Honestly, I learnt almost nothing from him. Just understand the snowboard equipments, how to take on, take off and how to walk while one foot is tied, etc. But same day night, I searched a lot of "how to" videos to understand. Thanks to "snowboard addiction" youtube channel and some others, which I owe my basic techniques to.

I think learning from couple of friends, watching some educational videos and spending some time at mountain for a little bit practice will be more powerful than having one hour stupid lesson. I can easily confess that above comments works better than that lessons.

Please do not misunderstand my above explanation.. Education is must. but It must be from right person.. and I cannot find the right person yet.

I really want to ride with you guys in your resort in some time.. or you may visit Turkey and we may ride together here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How far from Istanbul do you go to snowboard?
The closest resort is "Kartepe Ski Resort" 90mins by drive. But it is too small and not managed well. Second one is "Uludag Ski Resort" which takes around 3hours by drive. This is not bad. It is very big but the piste is not quality enough. The third one is "Kartalkaya Ski Resort" where has two side. both side is better than above two.

There are may be 15-20 ski resort in different locations.. But we mostly prefer the following ones which are the best in Turkey;
Sarikamis Ski Resort
Erciyes Ski Resort
Palandoken Ski Resort

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@MrDavey2Shoes @garikgarik

Dear all, I am very much pleased to see your comments, which I found very helpful for me. I have finished my third season in my snowboarding life. This year, I have been in mountains total 15 days. But in the third day, my left ankle was sprained to outside and I was suffering from ankle pain all other days. Anyway.

Here is my video with soft board, soft boots and soft binding. the waist size of this full camber board is 25cm. All I tried to get more lying on my heelside while carving. Actually I feel wonderful until I watched this video. When I see this, I am really disappointed :)
Greetings from Istanbul.
Hey man, OP here. WTF are doing hijacking my thread?!? If you want feedback, post your own thread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey man, OP here. WTF are doing hijacking my thread?!? If you want feedback, post your own thread.
hijacking? I had no such an intention like that. If I did something out of forum rules, just show me so that I will apologize from every one of you. My post was also related to carving boards because I m trying to carve with a soft board.

I don't understand why you are bothered about this.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Some boards that I'm looking at:

Korua Cafe Racer
Nidecker Tracer
Telos Back/Slash
United Shapes Orbit
I briefly owned a Cafe Racer 164 and own a United Shapes Orbit 157. I like both, but very different boards.

Cafe Racer was mellow, relatively little camber and relaxed flex. It felt very neutral turn to turn, no real natural "snap". You could generate snap with your body movements, but it waited for rider input. I liked it, I would have kept it if it wasn't so wide... 278 mm with size 10 US boots was a load in firm conditions. I replaced it with a Korua Stealth 163, which is also pretty wide (269 mm) but much more manageable (and also has a lot more snap, most likely due to being much more heavily cambered through the camber zone).

Orbit ATTACKS. Not that much camber, but stiff powerful flex. My go-to when I need to handle gnarlier lines and don't expect new snow. You can an incredible amount of effective edge for its size, the 157 rides more like a 164. It's not a "short-fat" either, they just lop off a bunch of nose kick (so not ideal for pow).

Broadly, anything can carve unless you have reverse sidecut. My solid board quiver:

• US Orbit 157
  • Korua Stealth 163
  • US Cadet 162
  • Dupraz D1 6'
  • Moss Swallow 162

All of them can carve, but excel at different things and require different riding styles and inputs.

Stealth is pretty sweet hybrid snowsurf / all-mountain deck. Little bit rear-foot driven, but not nearly as much so as a Moss or a Gentemstick. Pops turn to turn reallly well, feels great up on edge. Struggles a little bit in firmer snow due to the width, but I can make it work. Great all-around daily driver for carving and pow that can still handle some gnarlier freeride lines. I can ride it either + / + or duck.

Orbit discussed above.

The Cadet is traditional all-mountain deck with a bit of Japanese snowsurf influence. Fun at slower speed and medium radius carves. Has a relatively relaxed medium flex, very short effective edge (rides more like a 158), and a tighter 7.8 m sidecut, so I get pretty sketched on it if I put it up on edge going faster than 40 mph. I can ride this one either + / + or duck.

Dupraz has a more centered riding style on groomers. Big open sidecut (8.7 m), I can lay this over on edge at 50+ mph and feel very comfortable. I also can't ride this + / +... it has a ton of tail and even with a slight amount of forward angle on the back foot, the tail feels too grippy on the backend of the turn. I ride this one exclusively duck.

The Moss is super rear-foot driven and basically designed for + / + stance. I ride this one aggressively double posi, +30 / + 12. I can do that because the extreme setback and the swallowtail means the tail releases super quickly. Very backfoot driven.

All carving boards, all very different feels. Only real consistent trends are stiffer than average, varying degrees of taper, and directional shapes.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
hijacking? I had no such an intention like that. If I did something out of forum rules, just show me so that I will apologize from every one of you. My post was also related to carving boards because I m trying to carve with a soft board.

I don't understand why you are bothered about this.
Don't worry about it, hopefully we're all friends here. Threads can go any number of ways... It's a discussion.

Etiquette is to post a new thread to start a new discussion but it's not worth getting upset over.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
@MrDavey2Shoes @garikgarik

Dear all, I am very much pleased to see your comments, which I found very helpful for me. I have finished my third season in my snowboarding life. This year, I have been in mountains total 15 days. But in the third day, my left ankle was sprained to outside and I was suffering from ankle pain all other days. Anyway.

Here is my video with soft board, soft boots and soft binding. the waist size of this full camber board is 25cm. All I tried to get more lying on my heelside while carving. Actually I feel wonderful until I watched this video. When I see this, I am really disappointed :)

Greetings from Istanbul.
Nice background soundtrack (y)

Hey mate you need to put some babes in your carving video.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't worry about it, hopefully we're all friends here. Threads can go any number of ways... It's a discussion.

Etiquette is to post a new thread to start a new discussion but it's not worth getting upset over.
Thanks drblast, I already got my replies and thanks to all. see you in some other discussions..

·
Registered
848 Posts
Cafe Racer was mellow, relatively little camber and relaxed flex. It felt very neutral turn to turn, no real natural "snap". You could generate snap with your body movements, but it waited for rider input. I liked it, I would have kept it if it wasn't so wide... 278 mm with size 10 US boots was a load in firm conditions. I replaced it with a Korua Stealth 163, which is also pretty wide (269 mm) but much more manageable (and also has a lot more snap, most likely due to being much more heavily cambered through the camber zone).
I had the CR 59 and still own the 64. Tested them for 3 days, 5 runs and a size swap. My shred buds have owned another CR 64, Pencils 59, 64, Darts 56 and 64 and Otto 61. I have inspected the Otto 57 and the TF 57 in person as well so it’s a good sample of Korua’s ‚true camber’ and ‚directional camber’ bends. The consistent difference is the upkick in the tail and the upkick in the nose but only for the Otto (apart from the shapes obviously). No consistency with the camber bend varying between their ‚true’ and ‚rockered’ camber profiles.

The conclusion after seeing them all in person (only the Dart 56 wasn’t new) is that the camber bend is a random factor. To be honest there is no difference in the nose rocker section as well. In my case it was the CR 59 that had a mellow camber, the arc on the 64 is very high. The Dart 64 and the Otto 57 and 61 had way more camber than the CR 59. Both CRs 64 had the same bend as these more cambered ‚directional camber’ Darts/Pencils/Ottos.

For me the CR 59 also had more snap from the carves than the CR 64 but it was much less cambered so my take on the difference is that since it’s narrower and has a tighter sidecut, it’s quicker to decamber and unload it what generates a better pop from the carve.

·
Registered
997 Posts
What charateristics make an excellent soft boot carving board?

Optimal sidecut radius for small, medium (my preferred) or large turns? Board width (I have a size 9 boot)? Soft flexible middle vs stiff middle? What makes a carving board forgiving (my preferred) vs hard charging? How does board taper affect carving turns? Setback or twin? Magnetraction edges vs straight? Is there something beneficial to asymmetrical shapes?

Looking for a groomer carving board (70% daily driver) for all conditions (soft, ice, corn) whenever there's no fresh snow.

Some boards that I'm looking at:

Korua Cafe Racer
Nidecker Tracer
Telos Back/Slash
United Shapes Orbit

How are these boards similar, yet different?

Thanks, as always, for your insight.
To the OP, all those qualities you listed impact the style of carving. I haven’t ridden any of the boards on your list. But I have a few dedicated carving boards. My choice of board depends on many factors but mostly the quality of the piste. The better quality snow the less I worry about length and effective edge. If I know there’s some soft stuff to dig an edge into I’ll grab a shorter board with a smaller sidecut to play around. Likewise if there’s good snow I worry less about the type of camber as I don’t need my full edge in contact with the snow. A hybrid will suffice. Currently I’m in love with S camber. But I’m a bit fickle and that may change next season. Carving under these conditions is really fun and I like a smaller sidecut for C shaped carves. If the snow is nice I’m usually riding just a bit slower and wanting to pop off natural features, so a livelier, less damp board is better.

If it’s icy I’ll grab a longer full camber deck. Those types of conditions require my full edge and a longer edge to stay on a rail. Usually I’m riding faster S turns when it’s icy so a longer sidecut suits that style of turning.

Hard charging can mean a lot of things. I consider myself a hard charger. It’s tough for me to break out of that mentality of always riding as fast as I feel comfortable under the conditions. If it’s icy with crud around then trying to lay out high speed carves with those variable conditions is hard to maintain with a poppy board. Your leg gets jackhammered from taking all those bumps. That’s where dampness can really help. A damp board will plow through the crud with less vibrations traveling up your legs. That way you can maintain your carving line at speed with less fatigue. It allows you to focus on carving technique when you’re not riding first tracks on a groomer. But the downside of an overly damp board is loss of pop.

So I have a variety of boards to suit the conditions and my mood. They vary in length from 155-163. Some full camber some RCR, a couple S camber. Sidecut varies from 7.6-10 in my quiver. I have two full camber carving decks. Both are 163. One is really damp, the other a bit lively.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I briefly owned a Cafe Racer 164 and own a United Shapes Orbit 157. I like both, but very different boards.

Orbit ATTACKS. Not that much camber, but stiff powerful flex. My go-to when I need to handle gnarlier lines and don't expect new snow. You can an incredible amount of effective edge for its size, the 157 rides more like a 164. It's not a "short-fat" either, they just lop off a bunch of nose kick (so not ideal for pow).

Broadly, anything can carve unless you have reverse sidecut. My solid board quiver:

• US Orbit 157
  • Korua Stealth 163
  • US Cadet 162
  • Dupraz D1 6'
  • Moss Swallow 162

All of them can carve, but excel at different things and require different riding styles and inputs.

Stealth is pretty sweet hybrid snowsurf / all-mountain deck. Little bit rear-foot driven, but not nearly as much so as a Moss or a Gentemstick. Pops turn to turn reallly well, feels great up on edge. Struggles a little bit in firmer snow due to the width, but I can make it work. Great all-around daily driver for carving and pow that can still handle some gnarlier freeride lines. I can ride it either + / + or duck.

Orbit discussed above.

The Cadet is traditional all-mountain deck with a bit of Japanese snowsurf influence. Fun at slower speed and medium radius carves. Has a relatively relaxed medium flex, very short effective edge (rides more like a 158), and a tighter 7.8 m sidecut, so I get pretty sketched on it if I put it up on edge going faster than 40 mph. I can ride this one either + / + or duck.

Dupraz has a more centered riding style on groomers. Big open sidecut (8.7 m), I can lay this over on edge at 50+ mph and feel very comfortable. I also can't ride this + / +... it has a ton of tail and even with a slight amount of forward angle on the back foot, the tail feels too grippy on the backend of the turn. I ride this one exclusively duck.

The Moss is super rear-foot driven and basically designed for + / + stance. I ride this one aggressively double posi, +30 / + 12. I can do that because the extreme setback and the swallowtail means the tail releases super quickly. Very backfoot driven.

All carving boards, all very different feels. Only real consistent trends are stiffer than average, varying degrees of taper, and directional shapes.
THIS was really good info. Thanks for your input!

Leaning Tracer. Looking for user-friendly groomer carver for next season to compliment the powder board. Like to keep the quiver to 2 boards (3 including split). Ride double positive angles (+25/+7) with narrow stance width. Size 9 boots (currently Genesis + Tourists). Should be able to hold an edge while railing on early morning icy corduroy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"Looking for a groomer carving board (70% daily driver) for all conditions (soft, ice, corn) whenever there's no fresh snow."

People have been looking without success for the board for all conditions since Jake Burton was testing boards by hiking Stratton at night.. All boards are a series of compromises in design. An ice carving machine won't be ideal for powder, etc, etc, etc.. Get a board that matches you most common riding conditions and don't sweat it if it's not that great in the days conditions are unusual.

Get comfortable making a solidly balanced moderate carving turn and it will carry you through most anything no matter what board you are on or what the conditions. Riding might be more work and not totally pretty when conditions turn ugly but it will get you there and let you get a day in when most people are sitting by the fire complaining.

Demo days are your friend. Hunt for them.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
"Looking for a groomer carving board (70% daily driver) for all conditions (soft, ice, corn) whenever there's no fresh snow."

People have been looking without success for the board for all conditions since Jake Burton was testing boards by hiking Stratton at night.. All boards are a series of compromises in design. An ice carving machine won't be ideal for powder, etc, etc, etc.. Get a board that matches you most common riding conditions and don't sweat it if it's not that great in the days conditions are unusual.

Get comfortable making a solidly balanced moderate carving turn and it will carry you through most anything no matter what board you are on or what the conditions. Riding might be more work and not totally pretty when conditions turn ugly but it will get you there and let you get a day in when most people are sitting by the fire complaining.

Demo days are your friend. Hunt for them.
Everything you said is true EXCEPT, it was Bromley Mountain, just down the road, the Burton guys would ride at night. They didn’t hike it, they drove cars up Bromley Village and then rode down the nearest trail. Coincidentally, actually probably intentionally, that’s the trail Bromley builds their park on nowadays.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts