Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just got CASI Level 1 certified, and trying to practice carving and switching.

Anyone could recommend a binding angle (goofy) for me? Currently I am using -9/9.

Any other tips from CASI Level 2 would be appreciated (I also read another post about CASI Level 2 preparation)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nothing wrong with the angles you're using now if that feels comfortable for you (assuming you meant +9 on forward and -9 on rear binding). Switch will be awkward for you at first no matter what angles you use, just takes time to get used to riding switch.

As far as what else you can do, when I prepped for the CASI 2 exam the only thing I changed with my gear was putting a decent amount of forward lean on my bindings to help get on my heel edge quicker when carving.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yeah I ride at -9/+9 on most boards, up to +15/-12 depending on my mood. Nothing wrong with the angles. Highback angle is good, practise is better. Just get out there and work on carving, long carves, short carves, quick turns back and forth again and again. It should come by feel...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comment guys, another question about the board, I am currently using the K2 Ray Gun, a very good beginner all mountain board, any board recommendation for CASI Level 2 or it should be good enough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
May I ask what the point of these certifications is? Is it to become an instructor?
Sure, for me I am an intermediate snowboarder and this is my second season. I am not planning to teach snowboarding as career, but to further sharpen my skills in a proper way.

By taking CASI Level 1, I worked with a CASI Level 3 instructor for 3 days (8 hours a day), half of time is about improving and exam riding skills, and another half is about teaching theories.

For riding part, it's really helpful to get pinpointed my strengths and weaknesses, and how to improve, what's the current status, and what should I work for next etc. They also helped me to get rid of bad habits and what's the "standard" way to do it, by standard I mean "CASI standard". And by learning those steps, I am able to tell what's wrong with my riding in real time, and create exercises and plans for specific skills accordingly.

For teaching part, it helps me to get down to basics and helps me really understand the bottom part of snowboarding, breaking moves into small steps, and how to interactively providing advice and feedback, it helps me learn new skills faster.

This is just my personal thought, hope it answers your question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts