Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Cataloochee (NC) makes me cry

1912 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Argo
My cousin wanted me to take him out snowboarding, but didn't have the time or the money for a trip out west so I ended up taking him and 3 other folks out to the Cataloochee Ski Area in Maggie Valley, NC this past weekend.

The Good:
Snow! - Amazingly, Cataloochee actually got snow while we were there. Roughly 1-2 inches accumulation over what was already on the ground.
Temperatures - Also amazingly, it was actually cold while I was there. My trip to Cat last year featured sunny 40ºF weather which turned the artificial snow to ice and slush in just a few hours

The bad:
Crowds - 3 lifts (1 quad, 2-doubles) all of which had a 10-20 minute wait. It was 3x faster to walk up the bunny hill and ride down than to wait in the line to ride the chair up.
Rental gear - I don't think the board that my cousin and his wife rented had *ever* been waxed. 15 minutes after I they did drills for strapping in and turning, ice started sticking and freezing to the bottom of the boards. I had to chip it away with a credit card in order for the boards to even slide down hill
Cost - $60 lift pass for 740ft after a 3 hour drive.
Lines - 15 minute wait for a lift ticket and a 30 minute wait for rental gear

My advice.... if you end up having to go out there to ride, make sure that it is not on a weekend and make sure to buy/borrow your own gear
See less
My cousin wanted me to take him out snowboarding, but didn't have the time or the money for a trip out west so I ended up taking him and 3 other folks out to the Cataloochee Ski Area in Maggie Valley, NC this past weekend.

The Good:
Snow! - Amazingly, Cataloochee actually got snow while we were there. Roughly 1-2 inches accumulation over what was already on the ground.
Temperatures - Also amazingly, it was actually cold while I was there. My trip to Cat last year featured sunny...
See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
675 Posts

The Good:
Temperatures - Also amazingly, it was actually cold while I was there. My trip to Cat last year featured sunny 40ºF weather which turned the artificial snow to ice and slush in just a few hours

The bad:
Crowds - 3 lifts (1 quad, 2-doubles) all of which had a 10-20 minute wait. It was 3x faster to walk up the bunny hill and ride down than to wait in the line to ride the chair up.
Rental gear - I don't think the board that my cousin and his wife rented had *ever* been waxed. 15 minutes after I they did drills for strapping in and turning, ice started sticking and freezing to the bottom of the boards. I had to chip it away with a credit card in order for the boards to even slide down hill
Cost - $60 lift pass for 740ft after a 3 hour drive.
Lines - 15 minute wait for a lift ticket and a 30 minute wait for rental gear

My advice.... if you end up having to go out there to ride, make sure that it is not on a weekend and make sure to buy/borrow your own gear
It was a holiday weekend too (Presidents Day). All of the resorts this far south are packed on weekends like that.

· Registered
1,533 Posts
Most of us are restricted by either time or money or both. We pick and choose as best we can, but I have learned that the Presidents Day weekend / week is busy at any hill / resort. It is the one weekend to give a miss. If you go, be prepared for long lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.