Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Holy shit man, doesnt that thing have an emergency stop? Those chairs looked like they were getting ground up in the wheels.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The lady in purple at 0:15 looked oblivious to the ginormous slide behind her, didn't she?

I'm impressed that the slide peeled off the snow all the way down to brown dirt!

·
Registered
167 Posts
An excerpt from my friend who's semi literate in French said the following

'I think the gist of what they're saying is that it was like being beside a sea of snow, the lift operator spotted the snow starting to slip so she stopped people from getting on the lift at the bottom so luckily the 46 people that were already on the lift were above the worst of it. They were taken off by rescue helicopter unharmed. The avalanche was caused by unseasonably warm temperatures. The lift was leading to a black slope popular with expert skiers which will remain closed for now. There is further risk of avalanche, and the slope also has areas where the snow has completely slid off so can't be skied. (something like that but may differ in some details)'

Good thing the lifty was on his game. He probably saved a few lives that day. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
It appears the cable did not break, if it had, that would have caused serious injuries, or worse. I have always thought them to be very strong, but I now have renewed faith in their strength.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It appears the cable did not break, if it had, that would have caused serious injuries, or worse. I have always thought them to be very strong, but I now have renewed faith in their strength.
cables are engineered to be about 20x stronger than required. and the cables would have slipped off the rollers before they would snap. Also a chairlift in set on counter weights so if the cable did get pinched on something the avalanche would have to overcome the weight of chairlift, and the strength of the cables before the cables would be damaged.

The only thing to worry about is derailments on chairlifts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts