Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this head pride board, since forever, 10 years for sure. Mine is 152 in length as I am 175cm x 75kg and I am not particularly fit. This board has a traditional camber.
I am trying to get back to snowboarding after years of nothing. I was a little more than a beginner when I stopped, I am still in the beginner phase now, so no fancy snowboarding, just trying to learn to have fun going in blue slopes and survive in red ones.

Should I search for a more recent board? Has board technology advanced that much in all those years?
Would this help me going back easier?

I don't want to spend money in gear just because, I prefer to save those money for lessons and for staying at resorts, but I also know that outdated equipment makes things more difficult for sure.

Thanks a lot!

I am not native speaker in English, so I am sorry sorry for any mistakes in using the language.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
434 Posts
Technology has changed. But it's hard to beat old school camber. Maybe some sort of hybrid camber could help progress a bit faster. But lessons would definitely help more than any board will.

I had a 7 year gap and came back with lessons last year. So if it's either lessons or a new board I think stick with your board and bindings if they are still in good shape and spend the money on lessons. Just don't take the super beginner day one lessons where they show you how to stand up and strap in. That'll be a waste.

To summarize: Lessons and days on the mountain will be worth more in progression than any new board would.

One other place worth putting your money is properly fitting boots. Get your feet measured. Check out the boots section to see how and make sure you have correct size boots. If you buy new equipment this should be the first.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your answers, they go in the direction I prefer!

About the boots, I saw some comments on the fittings. I think mine are ok, I bought them in a real shop. They don't hurt and this is great for me. Plus, I've just found a suggestion on how to tie them better and it has helped a great deal.
Anyway, a double check is worth it, as soon as I can get in a shop I will ask for a proper measurement.

·
Registered
186 Posts
From my experience, resort tickets/passes and boots are the top priorities as a beginner. There are many boards, but only a few boots will fit your feet the best.

Riding the mountain consistently and comfortably helped me get better quickly. I committed to a multi-lesson package (with lift tickets included) and that really helped me commit to learning.

Also, riding with better and more experienced snowboarders helped me immensely. I was forced to (try) keep up and ride wherever they went. It took me 8 years to try snowboarding again and thank God I have snowboarding in my life.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally agree: since this year is impossible to spend my money in the mountains I am putting away money for next year already. I am planning to do multi-lessons on a period of time, as I really need to have someone giving me advice and also giving me some confidence to go down slopes.

I know none that rides. All friends of mine that go skiing are really good at that, so no chance for me to follow them. I tried already, but I feel I am the one slowing down everyone, constantly falling, plus they do not really enjoy easy slopes that are best for me. Group lessons may be a solution, but I fear to be in the same group of 15-something year old that will make me feel out of context. Yes, I am not the youngest.

On the other side, when I go alone, I have none pushing me to try again and again and this is a pity. Some cheering up does wonder for me... Even without covid, this would be an issue I still haven't solved.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
434 Posts
Group lessons aren't too bad. With Covid I imagine they will keep groups small even next season. Just do not do the very beginner lesson. Level 2 or level 3 all the way to 5 if you can swing it money wise.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It might not be a bad board, but you are rocking a HEAD PRIDE.. If it has cap construction, get a new similar one, and retire that one to a bench.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Rip154, I am not sure I have uderstood, I may be lost in English or snowboard jargon. I am aware that this board is not top quality, if this is what you intended.
I searched about cap construction and it seems a way of building boards. Like this:
"The top layer of glass laminate is formed over the top of the wooden core and pinched at the edge to seal in the core."
Cheaper but less durable. Correct?

How can I know if it has cap construction? Edges of the board seems to be ok.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
@Rip154, I am not sure I have uderstood, I may be lost in English or snowboard jargon. I am aware that this board is not top quality, if this is what you intended.
I searched about cap construction and it seems a way of building boards. Like this:
"The top layer of glass laminate is formed over the top of the wooden core and pinched at the edge to seal in the core."
Cheaper but less durable. Correct?

How can I know if it has cap construction? Edges of the board seems to be ok.

Thanks!
The decription is correct. If it has a plastic sidewall, it's not a cap construction, but just means the board isn't way too old. Head just seems to be a ski company first, and don't think they contribute much besides making money off snowboarding. They make some quality stuff too, but the whole thing just gives off some weird vibes. Use it and move on to something better;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah ok thanks, so definitely cap construction.
I strongly hope to be able to use it until it breaks instead of having it sitting in the basement.

For now I changed stance, made it duck and a little wider. It was 50,5cm I put it 56.5. Options are +1,+3 or +4 (*2, nose & tail). I hope I did it right. I am looking forward to test it, but who knows when.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I took some pictures.
bindings 2.jpeg bindings 2b.jpg
Are the bindings correctly mounted?
I have doubts because, originally the center part (the circle one, the one screwed to the board) was rotated of 90°, like I draw in the arrow of the second picture.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The disc can probably be used for adjusting either way. So if boots are centered on the board and stance is fine, it should be ok.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to try to compare boot position in rotated and original way. I'll do this. I also think that this disc can be used in both direction as it has the 0 measurement angle in all 4 directions. Thanks anyway for your validation.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Looks like it's mounted good. Similar to how I would do mine. As long as you're comfortable when standing on it.

And yes ride it until it breaks or until you're ready for an upgrade after a season or two. Money will be better spent in lessons right now. Boots next.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Head just seems to be a ski company first, and don't think they contribute much besides making money off snowboarding. They make some quality stuff too, but the whole thing just gives off some weird vibes. Use it and move on to something better
@Rip154, this comment was hanging in my mind: which companies should I look at, in your opinion? Even if my decision is taken, I love to be prepared for the future.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Look around the forum and some movies, youtube/instagram/magasines, and talk with people you ride with. Find a style you like and check up what boards are best for that. You can find board demos sometimes, and there are websites/mags that show interviews from tradeshows and festivals. The companies that attend are usually some of the same that try to build a community and evolve snowboarding, and often run related content from their platforms.

Since you don't get a new setup right away, make a note of what you like and what bothers you, and research it, so you know what to get next time.

There are big board brands like Burton, Nidecker and Nitro, that makes all the equipment, board companies like Mervin (Lib/Gnu/Roxy/Bent Metal), Jones and Arbor, that mostly make boards, but have good bindings too, and smaller speciality brands that only make boards, but focus more on a special direction like Korua, Moss, Gentemstick, Stranda, that focus more on turning and powder than having every style, and Yes that does freestyle for all terrain and conditions. Some like Union and Now only makes bindings, and Deeluxe, Vans, Thirtytwo that only makes boots. And of course there are some ski companies that deliver on all fronts, like Salomon and K2, and you have the alpine side of snowboarding, which mostly lands in its own community.

Northwave, Union and Funky are italian brands at least, I'm sure there are a few more.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you @Rip154 for answering my dumb question in a very detailed way. I have a lot to dig, now!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thank you @Rip154 for answering my dumb question in a very detailed way. I have a lot to dig, now!
Don't think too much about it right now you'll know better after you get on the mountain a few times and find out what you like and dislike just like he said. Once you have that experience with your current board you'll be able to pinpoint the direction you want to go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For sure, @Jack87, I need to go to the mountains. But this year is forbidden here, so I need to manage my frustration someway. There's a lot of that, so maybe having a plan for the future will help me.

Last weekend I drove 1h15 one way to go to a local short blue run: usually it has a lonely drag-lift to bring you up, but it is not working now due to pandemic. So I walked something like 20 times up this hill to do a little snowboarding. I'd gladly repeat it this weekend, but I still don't know if it is allowed or not. I did some exercises to learn to go one foot, as I am very bad at that and also I tried some curves.
At least, I did some physical exercise...

1 - 20 of 131 Posts