Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
391 Posts
For sure, @Jack87, I need to go to the mountains. But this year is forbidden here, so I need to manage my frustration someway. There's a lot of that, so maybe having a plan for the future will help me.

Last weekend I drove 1h15 one way to go to a local short blue run: usually it has a lonely drag-lift to bring you up, but it is not working now due to pandemic. So I walked something like 20 times up this hill to do a little snowboarding. I'd gladly repeat it this weekend, but I still don't know if it is allowed or not. I did some exercises to learn to go one foot, as I am very bad at that and also I tried some curves.
At least, I did some physical exercise...
I broke my foot at the start of the season so I'm just being able to finally go up! Luckily I'm up today. Just taking a lunch break. I totally understand... How I managed and I don't recommend it... But I ended up buying 8 new snowboards this year and 4 sets of bindings... Oops!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Eight snowboards and four sets of bindings is an impressive number!

I fear in investing too much in equipment because I am not good at snowboarding and I think I would look ridiculous constantly falling on my a** in cool brand new gear.
Yes, my tailbone is still hurting.
I am committed to overcome this love-hate relationship with snowboarding. I want it to become love-love. Will I succeed before becoming too old? Who knows.

Northwave looks appealing, even of they produce a lot of things other than snowboards.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Shall I go in my up&down in the blue slope tomorrow? It is my last chance as we're forced to stay trapped in the house like rats for next 3 weeks at least.
I fear to drive for 1h+risking a ticket and finding there is almost no snow. Webcam shows mainly white, but it is not so clear...

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Eight snowboards and four sets of bindings is an impressive number!

I fear in investing too much in equipment because I am not good at snowboarding and I think I would look ridiculous constantly falling on my a** in cool brand new gear.
Yes, my tailbone is still hurting.
I am committed to overcome this love-hate relationship with snowboarding. I want it to become love-love. Will I succeed before becoming too old? Who knows.

Northwave looks appealing, even of they produce a lot of things other than snowboards.
Learn how to fall.... and get up
Tips on falling? | Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Watch the creepy basement video

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Creepy basement already watched and studied! It's fantastic, I tried the proposed stance, also shifting weight, etc. I am itching to try It on the snow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Shall I go in my up&down in the blue slope tomorrow? It is my last chance as we're forced to stay trapped in the house like rats for next 3 weeks at least.
I fear to drive for 1h+risking a ticket and finding there is almost no snow. Webcam shows mainly white, but it is not so clear...
Did you decide to go? If so, how was it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No, I can't go. It seems little one is not ok, bad night, etc. So sorry for myself.
Of course weather forecast for next weekend is snow. But no chance to go due to covid rules. Murphy's law at its best.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Why looking boards on the web creates addiction? There are a lot of sales now, that is even more tempting...

·
The Swiss Miss
7,595 Posts
Hi Maya

One can learn on any board, but on some it's easier that on others. I agree with everyone, lessons and time on slopes are key. However, as you say you're falling a lot and are not so fit, an easier, more catch free board would probably make your time on slopes more joyful/less harmful.

On traditional camber boards one quickly catches an edge as beginner-intermediate. With a hybrid camber (RCR) that would be less likely, and with a hybrid rocker (CRC) even more less likely. I'd thus go for a CRC if I'd be you.

I like to give friends who start to snowboard a CRC board (Never Summer in my case, but other brands with that profile exist, I just don't know the models) as they provoke less falls and thus increase the riders confidence. You may find a used Never Summer Infitity, Aura, Type Two, Maverix for good price as it's end of season; they're all easy to ride. First is softer, second bit more advanced (stiffer), third is a twin if you aim to ride switch a lot, last would also ride great in pow. Or, if you're ever in Switzerland, send me a PM. I may have a something for you.

Reactions: Maya

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow, @neni, thank you for your answer, so glad you left your comment! I'll look into CRC boards for sure.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
391 Posts
Why looking boards on the web creates addiction? There are a lot of sales now, that is even more tempting...
Haha yes! You can now understand why I ended up with so much gear this season while I couldn't ride due to injury.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I am researching on CRC boards, but it is not so straightforward as I was thinking before. Adding that I am searching for a woman board does not make things easier.
I understood they are called also Hybrid Rocker. Am I correct?
Also, on Burton website it seems that this board and this board are CRC. Again, is this correct?

I checked Never Summer boards, all models mentioned by neni. I can't find anywhere in Never Summer website indication on weight of (woman) rider per length of the board. I found it in other sites, but measures differ and I don't know what I can trust if not the manufacturer.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,595 Posts
I am researching on CRC boards, but it is not so straightforward as I was thinking before. Adding that I am searching for a woman board does not make things easier.
Also, on Burton website it seems that this board and this board are CRC. Again, is this correct?

I checked Never Summer boards, all models mentioned by neni. I can't find anywhere in Never Summer website indication on weight of (woman) rider per length of the board. I found it in other sites, but measures differ and I don't know what I can trust if not the manufacturer.
Yup, CRC are hybrid rocker, but Burton calls them S rocker, I think. V rocker are also a hybrid rocker, but a special type.

Measures differ bexause size can be different depending on the shape, flex or purpose of the board. For example, a wide short tailed pow oriented board will be sized smaller for the same rider weight than a slender carving board.

NS doesn't give weight range recommendations online. You can ask them directly, or if you give us your foot size (barefoot measurenent in cm), I can hint on a size on the models I know (the ones I had listed plus Harpoon and Lady West), and others may chime in for other brands/models.

Generally, your weight will point at 155ish boards, but a smaller size is easier to turn. But you are very tall, so your stance width or foot size could be limiting. I'd say 150 is the lower limit of board size you should look at. But it eally depends on the model. A NS Maverix 150 for example would work with large feet as it is quite wide, where as the T2 probably wouldn't in 150 as it's more narrow.

Reactions: Maya

·
Registered
79 Posts
Newer boards tend to be more forgiving and absorb more vibration, but the old boards still ride great. They have dialed in the flex, sidecuts, camber patterns, vibrational dampening materials, etc. in the last several years.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks @neni. My feet are of course not small, bigger one is 27cm, and my current boots are 40 and they report also 26,5cm length. So I guess that I need to go to bigger boards. It is annoying to be always to upper limits of what is designed for women. Especially because I am not really that tall nor overweight...

About going to Switzerland, it is one of the places I'd like to see, but it was not yet possible. Also I have a sister in law living there since few years, but I have never managed to visit her, shame on me.

@GWoman, I search for whatever forgiveness I can find. I really need to have the easiest life, given that I have a not-snowboarding-nor-skiing husband and a little one. So the time I can actually dedicate to snowboard will always be limited. Also I am not the yougest and my current board is a beginner one, not particularly good.

I still haven't decided to buy a new one, but I think that having more info before doing a purchase will not hurt at all.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Yes those are Burton's flying V boards which is what they call their CRC. Just got my girlfriend the Flying V Feel good board and she likes it a lot. It was really hard for it to come by as it was out of stock most of the season. You can find used or even new previous year models for fairly affordable pricing if you look.
The Feelgood comes on both camber and flying V. As a beginner flying V is what you would want. The yessair is a beginner board and not a bad choice. If you already have experience Snowboarding you may like the Feelgood more though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think one other board to consider is the Jones Dream Catcher. It not only looks good but it's a RCR hybrid. So it's rocker in the contact points and camber in the middle. Makes for a board with a lot of control of camber without the tradition catchyness. It also has raised 3D edges near the contact points to help against catching an edge and to float in powder plus easily initiate turns.

This board should be a great board to learn on and progress all the way to even advanced or beyond. Especially since you're already used to camber I imagine a change to a rocker dominant board would feel washy and unstable.

I would totally put the Jones Dream Catcher on top of your list. Maybe in a 151 or 154.

Edit:
This was another board that was really hard to come by during the season as it was always sold out. Looks like this European site has the 151 in stock at a good discount. Might be worth snagging it.

Note the profile diagram they are showing on their site is incorrect. This is a RCR board not an s-camber. You can see the correct profile diagram on Joens' site.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,595 Posts
Hmmm... 75kg and 27cm feet actually opens up a lot more board options as you can well ride men's boards. They won't be too wide to your feet. And you find more men's boards on the used market.

Reactions: Jack87

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Snowboard-wise, maybe it is better. But I do like girly colours and girl-specific gear because it is not always possible for me to get them :ROFLMAO:
Anyway, your advice is always good!

About used market, I have no idea where to search for that. Possibly local brick and mortar shops...

21 - 40 of 91 Posts