Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you mean tree riding as tree riding in pow, then totally to it, give CRC a chance. The ones I use, Harpoon and Lady West, are awesome in our tree&pow terrain (east coast tree riding without pow I have no clue about)

Agree on carving. That's the one thing I prefer my trad camber over CRC (and RCR, btw). CRC do carve, easily, but never as smooth and beautifully and "linear" as a full camber.
If you mean tree riding as tree riding in pow, then totally to it, give CRC a chance. The ones I use, Harpoon and Lady West, are awesome in our tree&pow terrain (east coast tree riding without pow I have no clue about)

Agree on carving. That's the one thing I prefer my trad camber over CRC (and RCR, btw). CRC do carve, easily, but never as smooth and beautifully and "linear" as a full camber.
Yeah, that east coast tree riding without pow thing doesn't make much sense to me either. I stay out of the trees unless there's some pow to be had in there. Guess we're spoiled. I was just doing some aggressive tree riding the other day with a friend on a NS, and it looked like an agile ride for sure. I felt like I was working harder to whip my board around, but I was on a stiff s-cambered board that I wish had a little more torsional flex when I'm in the trees. It was feeling too long as well, but I'm well used to freeriding that size.

I totally agree about RCR sucking at carving. I'd rather carve a flat board. I like the use of "linear" to describe camber. It's predictable and reliable like an old friend.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,595 Posts
I totally agree about RCR sucking at carving. I'd rather carve a flat board. I like the use of "linear" to describe camber. It's predictable and reliable like an old friend.
You mean CRC, right? ;)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You mean CRC, right? ;)
I meant I don't appreciate the rocker at the tips of a hybrid camber (RCR) board when I'm looking to carve. Those rockered tips are for chop and pow, not for gripping carves. I honestly wasn't much of a carver the last time I was on a CRC, but I definitely noticed the non-linear feel when carving. I've only ever owned CRC on a freeride/pow board, and I liked it for that. I'm grateful for quivers and all the profiles out there- except maybe for triple camber?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,595 Posts
I meant I don't appreciate the rocker at the tips of a hybrid camber (RCR) board when I'm looking to carve. Those rockered tips are for chop and pow, not for gripping carves. I honestly wasn't much of a carver the last time I was on a CRC, but I definitely noticed the non-linear feel when carving. I've only ever owned CRC on a freeride/pow board, and I liked it for that. I'm grateful for quivers and all the profiles out there- except maybe for triple camber?
Ah, right, I see. And agree. The lifted tips are somehow lacking edge.

I actually don't own any RCR anymore. That's the type of hybrid which has no place in my quiver anymore. I got my trad. camber for carving/speed days on groomers, and for everything else (i.e. off piste) the CRCs.

I think RCR makes sense as Jack-of-all-trades one quiver allaround board (it did for me for some years), but as I now have a nice optimized/specialized quiver for my needs, the RCR decks just weren't ridden anymore and got retired/sold as they were a little less nice to carve than the trad camber and a little less fun to me in pow than my CRCs.

No idea what a tripplecamber is :)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Maya

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I think RCR makes sense as Jack-of-all-trades one quiver allaround board (it did for me for some years),
That's interesting, neni. This makes me leaning more towards an RCR.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
@Jack87 you are like devil to my good intentions!
I see Dream Catcher is directional. Can I use it to ride switch relatively easy? As stupid as it seems, I am (not) good riding switch as riding normal. I'd like to have a board I can ride switch without too much effort.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
391 Posts
Since you didn't get to spend money on lessons might as well get a new board while they are on end of season discount sales. Don't forget to pair some bindings with it.

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
I see Dream Catcher is directional. Can I use it to ride switch relatively easy? As stupid as it seems, I am (not) good riding switch as riding normal. I'd like to have a board I can ride switch without too much effort.
Won't be a problem, my gf is an instructor and if she has a goofy student she can teach the entire lesson switch on it. It's got a longer nose but you're not very set back on the sidecut of the board so it'll turn very similar to a true twin switch on groomers. Powder would be a different story, but for just practicing and improving your switch riding on groomed runs, don't sweat it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
What are the man counterparts of the board mentioned here, if any?
Burton feelgood Flying v
Nitro Mystique
Never Summer infinity
Burton yeasyer Flying v
Jones dream carcher

It seems that my size is hard ti find in end of season sales

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
What are the man counterparts of the board mentioned here, if any?
Burton feelgood Flying v
Nitro Mystique
Never Summer infinity
Burton yeasyer Flying v
Jones dream carcher

It seems that my size is hard ti find in end of season sales
Hmm, I'll give it a shot.

Burton Feelgood Flying V > Custom Flying V
Nitro Mystique > Team Gullwing (higher end in general, core and base)
Never Summer Infinity > Snowtrooper
Burton Yeasayer Flying V > Burton Process Flying V (has a better base though)
Jones Dream Catcher > Jones Explorer

Reactions: Jack87

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
391 Posts
Yeah you can ride switch no problem. If you wanted a true twin there is also the Jones twin sisters. But a directional twin is the way to go.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I fell like when I am buying shoes: local shops I contacted are all "sorry we don't have your size"
Not sure if I should already set my mind to men boards.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
In my endless boredom and indecision, I stumble across GNU boards, specifically this gnu lady choice. As far as I understood it is a CRC board and I found my size in more than one online shop.
Is it a valid option?

It seems that a Dream Catcher in my size (154) is impossible to found. I found a couple of 151: for the weight it is acceptable, but it does not sit my lenght of feet according to Jones website. I don't get why, as it has a waist width exactly equal to my current board.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In my endless boredom and indecision, I stumble across GNU boards, specifically this gnu lady choice. As far as I understood it is a CRC board and I found my size in more than one online shop.
Is it a valid option?

It seems that a Dream Catcher in my size (154) is impossible to found. I found a couple of 151: for the weight it is acceptable, but it does not sit my lenght of feet according to Jones website. I don't get why, as it has a waist width exactly equal to my current board.
If the waist width is the same and your foot fits fine on your current board you're probably just fine then.

Then again the waist width in the middle might be the same but where the binding insert packs are the width maybe different I don't know. You'll have to measure the middle of your bindings inserts (the holes) width across the board and see if you can get that measurement for the Jones board. May need to call or email their customer service if you can't find it published.

If the 151cm will work for your weight and shoe size it'll be much easier to maneuver then the longer board while you're still learning and progressing.

The GNU board is a fine choice! I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever board you end up on as long as the size is right.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
May need to call or email their customer service if you can't find it published.
I discovered a (not-so) local shop that has one dream catcher 151. I mailed them asking about possible boot issue. I hope they will answer.
They sell it at 350euros including shipping, less than the big online vendors, so it could be borderline scam.

If this does not end well, I think I will go for a Nitro Mystique. I found one online, with an option of buying used for less than 170€. I am a little nervous about buying used online and in general buying used, but the low price is really convincing.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts