Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
I have just done a couple of tests with my shitty bindings in the dream catcher. Good news is that they fit perfectly in the board, so whatever happens, I have a backup solution.
Also I checked the length of my boots. Pictures below.
Have I mounted bindings too much towards the heel of the boot? I tried to out them more centered wrt to lenght of the board but I see now that probably heel is too much outside of the board.

IMG_20210421_135819.jpg IMG_20210421_135827.jpg

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
434 Posts
Oh wow, who else would not want to ride on this board? None! You got an awesome board!
Indeed! I want to ride that board! I'd ride the dreamcatcher or the Twin Sisters. Graphics are so sick on those boards and they have a lot of tech behind it to boot.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
Actually I agree with you both, @GWoman and @Jack87. I have an issue with typical snowboard graphics, I don't like them at all, unless some rare cases such as this year dream catcher.
I like very simply designed boards, such as Nidecker Venus. Unfortunately upgrading to this board would have made no sense.
I was under the impression that this was due to me not being the typical snowboarder (i.e. the cool kid), but reading a little in this forum it seems that I am not alone.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
434 Posts
Actually I agree with you both, @GWoman and @Jack87. I have an issue with typical snowboard graphics, I don't like them at all, unless some rare cases such as this year dream catcher.
I like very simply designed boards, such as Nidecker Venus. Unfortunately upgrading to this board would have made no sense.
I was under the impression that this was due to me not being the typical snowboarder (i.e. the cool kid), but reading a little in this forum it seems that I am not alone.
What was wrong with the Venus? That's a good board indeed as well it's similar to the Dreamcatcher. The Dreamcatcher does of a bit more tech with the slightly 3d raised edges that'll make it easier for you not to catch and edge while still progressing. Plus that sick graphic.

Haha I'm not even sure if you realize how nice of a board you have now! Especially coming from your old one. It's going to be a nigh and day difference. You'll feel like a super star because it'll perform so well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
it easier for you not to catch and edge
that! that! exactly that!

I do realize that I have a nice board! I am so worried to ruin it in a stupid way, I was anxious while screwing my shitty bindings on top of it :eek:
and btw, the board is still sitting on the sofa of my living room...

·
Registered
434 Posts
that! that! exactly that!

I do realize that I have a nice board! I am so worried to ruin it in a stupid way, I was anxious while screwing my shitty bindings on top of it :eek:
and btw, the board is still sitting on the sofa of my living room...
Haha that's so awesome I love it! And I know exactly what you mean! Don't worry some skier in the lift line will like hit it or step on it and break the ice for you! I know annoying but that's generally what happens. It's okay though these things can take a beating and still perform really well.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have just done a couple of tests with my shitty bindings in the dream catcher. Good news is that they fit perfectly in the board, so whatever happens, I have a backup solution.
Also I checked the length of my boots. Pictures below.
Have I mounted bindings too much towards the heel of the boot? I tried to out them more centered wrt to lenght of the board but I see now that probably heel is too much outside of the board.

View attachment 158170 View attachment 158171
I've found looking from the bottom gives me the best perspective of if the boot is centered on the board. Won't probably ever be perfect, but close enough is good enough.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
NOW Conda, Burton Lexa, or Burton Escapades, from about '18 on are really good ones if you search for used bindings.
I'd love to search for used bindings, but I have no experience on how to do it in an effective way.
Used or new, I think I will have issues in finding my size.

What characteristics should I search in bindings considering I am basically just a little more than a beginner?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd love to search for used bindings, but I have no experience on how to do it in an effective way.

What characteristics should I search in bindings considering I am basically just a little more than a beginner?
Finding the right binding can also be a long story because of the variety. Size, flex and board compatibility are probably the most important, which you can check online. How it actually fits, you will know when you try them.
Good news is that there are tons of discounts now. Here is a screenshot from a shop which I was eyeing because they have good prices. (I'm not affiliated to them in any way.)
If you go for Burton, do not choose EST because they will not fit your board.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

A binding where you land about in the middle of size range and a comfy pad and strap. Some different pricepoints; Salomon Triumph, Union Rosa 2022, Now Brigada, Bent Metal Stylist, Burton Lexa X. There's also the Burton Stepon system, but you need a boot+binding package then. Some key things you gotta figure out is if you want a soft or stiff ankle strap and if you want canting or not. Price isn't that important for performance. Some of the cheapest I've bought can be just as good as the expensive ones. My latest is the Union Flite Pro 2022, that is named Rosa in womens version, it's kinda basic and cheap, but really nice.

Bought something from the shop above earlier and it was B-product, seemed like just visual stuff, but don't know.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 · (Edited)
I already decided stepon is not for me. I don't want to change my boots because they are surprisingly good for me, considering I bought them with no knowledge at all. I am not convinced by that bindings where you can insert boot from the back.

I discovered about canting a couple of hours ago, I need to find a way to check if I may like/need it or not.

Also what is the rationale for choosing a soft or stiff ankle strap?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I just like soft, thin, asymetrical straps, that doesn't put pressure on my instep. Some want wide stiff straps, but they often have stiff boots too. If you aren't bothered with it when riding, like no pain, stiff straps might work for you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I am going towards Union bindings. I found both Rosa and Juliet that seem interesting at a super reasonable price point.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am going towards Union bindings. I found both Rosa and Juliet that seem interesting at a super reasonable price point.
The Juliet has canting and more responsive. They're similar to the Force which is the men's version. The Rosa doesn't have canting and less responsive than the Juliet. Less responsive is not a bad thing, you just have more play with your feet. I feel the straps on the Rosa is much more comfortable than the Juliet. I have a Union Strata that has similar strap as the Rosa and they feel amazing on your ankles. No pinch point at all. I also have the other straps from the Juliet on my Union Atlas (men's) and they're not as comfortable as the Strata.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
Also, in Union website, Juliet are classified as all-mountains, Rosa as FreeStyle. Does this depend on the forgiveness you mentioned before, @SushiLover ?

My current bindings have no canting, so it would be safer to have Rosa, without canting as well. But I am so curious to try how is the feeling with canted bindings.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Also, in Union website, Juliet are classified as all-mountains, Rosa as FreeStyle. Does this depend on the forgiveness you mentioned before, @SushiLover ?
Yes, but all mountain freestyle could also be used for all mountain. It's just softer in some components of the bindings. The flex could be a softer highback, softer straps or softer base plate. What board do you own? Jones Dream catcher? I think either of those bindings would work on that board. You also need to ask yourself if you're ok with canting. Some people don't like canting. I own bindings with canting and without. Honestly, I don't feel any difference.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
Jones Dream catcher?
Yes, binding I am trying to buy are for the Dream Catcher.

Also, my current bindings have the toe straps that stays on top of the boots, not on the toe part of the boot, as can be seen on top of the page. I was under the impression that this was due to bad quality of my old bindings.
But I don't understand where toestrap of Rosa aresupposed to stay.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts