Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bindings continued to move on every run, I used a bit of blue locktite and now burton is saying it voided the warranty.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don't see how loctite could do anything to void a warranty here, sure you talked to someone from burton? If it's EST bindings without a hinge, you just have to deal with them coming loose now and then. Changing screws and washers might help.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Don't know why, but Burton hates loctite. This is mentioned repeatedly on their hardware and website. I'd buy new M6 hardware and try again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well of course loctite can expand stuff and break it, but shouldn't make a difference in this case. Worst you can do is blow the attachments, and then you just buy new ones, don't try to warranty the board and bindings.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Didn't they come with a bit of loctite on them? I thought they used to anyway.

I usually check my boards and my gfs boards once every 2-3 days on the hill to make sure the bolts are snug. Takes like 10 seconds to look over everything as part of a safety check.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
They have a cutout in the screw with a plastic strip that works like loctite, but without the risk of breaking threads.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've used loctite on cars for ages. I'm still trying to figure out how it would break threads.

You put an iota of it on there. If you're putting a drop on every screw you're doing it wrong lol.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well you know how the legal game works and all that. Never needed loctite on newer snowboard gear though.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Are you sure that wouldn't also void the warranty as it isn't supplied for use?
With that logic, if you used a non-burton boot in a burton binding, you would void the Burton warranty.

using a lock washer doesn't cause any risk to damage to the thread of the T-nut or screw itself.

Plus, on other screws for their binding, Burton does use Loctite (Dri-loc)

What's that stuff that is pre-applied to the screw threads? That's right, it's Loctite, so, their own hardware voids their warranty.

·
Registered
933 Posts
With that logic, if you used a non-burton boot in a burton binding, you would void the Burton warranty.

using a lock washer doesn't cause any risk to damage to the thread of the T-nut or screw itself.

Plus, on other screws for their binding, Burton does use Loctite (Dri-loc)

What's that stuff that is pre-applied to the screw threads? That's right, it's Loctite, so, their own hardware voids their warranty.
I understand. I was just pointing out how absurd this all is. I have seen loctite pre applied on burton bindings etc as well.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Apparently some types of loctite dissolves some types of plastic, and this leads to a general void of warranty on bindings where baseplates have lifetime warranty. Hard to tell the difference between this damage and manufacturing.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Apparently some types of loctite dissolves some types of plastic, and this leads to a general void of warranty on bindings where baseplates have lifetime warranty. Hard to tell the difference between this damage and manufacturing.
If you're dropping loctite onto the plastic, you would have a point. But one would assume that one would insert the screw/washer into the baseplate first, then apply a little loctite, then it would not touch the binding.

If you used the blue loctite solid stick, it would also be a non-issue

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
As tanscrazydaisy said, a lock washer would help. I like using clear, gel-style liquid nail polish (as per AngrySnowboarder) - works a treat.

I've read that the Hinge helps to alleviate loosening hardware. If you are running Burton EST bindings and still getting loose hardware, I'd go to the hardware store, get some M6 hex-head button hardware, a 5mm allen key, and seriously tighten the shit outta that stuff.

I ran my SK + Cartels like that for a while - applying WAY more torque than you could with the Burton EST tool - and it held up just fine..... Burton decks are amazingly well built IMO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts