Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone here has gone to China Peak ski resort and can tell me about it. They just got over three feet of snow and I was wondering if I should check that place out or if I should just go to Big Bear.

·
Registered
662 Posts
big bear is basically the same as china peak...except with only man made snow (and a minimum at that). They're both about the same size and altitude.

big bear is 2 hrs closer, which is very enticing, especially when you already have to drive 3.5 hrs (minimum, if it's snowing)...but china peak has tons of all natural snow and about 75% less crowd.

either way, don't forget your chains. I don't know about the big bear area, but sierra nevada CHP randomly sets up checkpoints and will make you go back down the mtn and get some...snow or not

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been to China Peak a couple times this season. I really love it because, as extra0 mentioned, it's WAY less crowded than Big Bear. Big Bear gets all the hype because of the X Games and all the other media attention, but China Peak has more natural snow, and a TON of terrain. Big Bear is closer, I think China Peak is worth the drive. Plus, you can use coupon codes on all these websites like Skiforfree.com to get discounts on weekday lift tickets. My wife and I went up on a Wednesday and hardly any way for the lifts and tons of open runs. We got our tix at 50% off or Buy 1 Get 1 free or something like that because we used a promo code like "CP3" I think when we checked out. Totally worth it man!

·
Registered
11 Posts
By the way, everyone up there is supposed to be getting like 2-3 feet of snow in the next few days due to this narly storm coming in.

·
Registered
662 Posts
^wishful thinking - more like 6 to 10 inches. If the jet drops farther south than expected, we may get up to 12 inches.

2013 has been a strange season in the sierra nevada with a couple of promising 2 ft dumps in december, but then only a few little pinner 7" snows throughout jan and feb...better than nothing, but far from what I'm used to.

Just hope the base holds out (still riding my rock board).

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's true, but I'll take what I can get. Like you said, it's been really strange this season so whenever I look at these news stations' spray charts, my hopes are high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts