Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

This season I rode Burton Operator 158 2009 version 248mm waist, 2018 ride riot boa boots 12US, Salomon Relay bindings from 2010. I'm 5'10, 200lbs. I learnt to carve on this board within a few days, its amazing but I feel like its a little narrow and wobbly at high speeds. Its supposed to be a park board maybe thats why It's easy to learn on.

I enjoy mostly freeride and hardly go to the park area. I'm trying to do fast carving and was hoping to upgrade to something that could handle hard packed snow groomers. I'm an intermediate rider.

I read info posted by a member, Wiredsport on foot measurement. My foot size is 28cm measured from wall to toe tip. I took some photos of the board and my binding angles. I'm using forward stance, +21+6, but since my binding discs are messed up in the rear i think its more like +12 at the rear. It doesn't bother with the riding. On youtube, Ryan Knapton mentioned that anyone with a size 12 boot should ride a 26cm board or wider. In deeper soft snow I've caught an edge a few times and fell, not sure if its my board or my large boots. Can't tell if the toes are dragging in the snow.

I'm trying to figure out if i should get burton custom, jones hovercraft, or a never summer maverix 2020 year, 160cm, 254mm waist. im more interested in the burton custom because of the history and many good reviews the only issue is that it comes with channel system and i'd have to buy new bindings and i heard that the channel system bindings get lose often and are a pain to keep tightening. The Jones Hovercraft seems like a perfect match because its non wide, 160cm has a 260mm waist.

attached some photos for reference.

Thanks for any suggestions.

WeChat Image_20210331172921.jpg
WeChat Image_20210331172921.jpg WeChat Image_20210331172910.jpg

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
You're current board is defintely narrow for your boot size. Ryan Knapton is a doof, saying that about waist width is the same as recommending board size on height. You might get close, but there are other factors. Sidecut being one. Now, there are plenty of wide boards that carve great so I wouldn't stress to hard on this.

Look at some of the Korua Stuff, Jones Stratos, Bataleon Carver or One, Snofisk Beluga, Lib Swiss Knife or Rocket, K2 Simple Pleasures, Arbor AFrame or Annex, Niche Maelstrom, Weston 10th.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Your boots are definitely dragging in the snow. Especially with 10 year old boots.
Personally with size 12s I’d go more like 270, but if you’ve gotten away this long on a 248, you can probably get by with 260-ish.

Don’t stress too much over the specifics, just get a decent quality directional or directional twin wide board that’s around a 7/10 stiffness. If you’ve gotten away that long on that particular setup, you’re not an especially discerning rider and no sense obsessing over it. Just make sure you’re in the right ballpark and buy a board that’s wide enough.

If I was selling you something in the shop I’d probably just hand you a Custom Camber 162W and tell you to have fun.

You could spend days or weeks or months obsessing over the “optimal” choice except you still wouldn’t necessarily make a better decision. For whatever reason the Custom already popped up on your radar, it’s wide enough, and it’s. good enough choice for someone who doesn’t know what they want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your boots are definitely dragging in the snow. Especially with 10 year old boots.
Personally with size 12s I’d go more like 270, but if you’ve gotten away this long on a 248, you can probably get by with 260-ish.

Don’t stress too much over the specifics, just get a decent quality directional or directional twin wide board that’s around a 7/10 stiffness. If you’ve gotten away that long on that particular setup, you’re not an especially discerning rider and no sense obsessing over it. Just make sure you’re in the right ballpark and buy a board that’s wide enough.

If I was selling you something in the shop I’d probably just hand you a Custom Camber 162W and tell you to have fun.

You could spend days or weeks or months obsessing over the “optimal” choice except you still wouldn’t necessarily make a better decision. For whatever reason the Custom already popped up on your radar, it’s wide enough, and it’s. good enough choice for someone who doesn’t know what they want.
That's very helpful. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get some proper fitting size 10 boots and your snowboarding life will be much better!

My foot size won't allow me to wear anything less than size 12. My runners are size 13 because I have wide feet.
The boots I use for snowboarding are 2018 ride riot boa size 12 works great. Snowboard needs upgrading and I guess also the bindings mine are a little heavy. Would like to find used burton cartel 2018 or newer

Thanks

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
My foot size won't allow me to wear anything less than size 12. My runners are size 13 because I have wide feet.
The boots I use for snowboarding are 2018 ride riot boa size 12 works great. Snowboard needs upgrading and I guess also the bindings mine are a little heavy. Would like to find used burton cartel 2018 or newer

Thanks
So... Get wide snowboard boots?

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Did you even read my post? I have no issues with the boots. My snowboard isn't the right size.o_O
Your feet are the same length as mine and I wear a size 10 which gets roomy throughout the season. Unless your feet are wider than they are long, your boots are too big. They make wide snowboard boots, check out the boot forum and people will help you out.

If you hang around this board for a few years you'll see hundreds of posts from people in too large boots swearing they could never fit into their mondo size, then they try it and it's a revelation. This is years of combined experience from multiple people telling you to get your boots worked out before you consider buying a board that's also the wrong size. But it's just advice, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your feet are the same length as mine and I wear a size 10 which gets roomy throughout the season. Unless your feet are wider than they are long, your boots are too big. They make wide snowboard boots, check out the boot forum and people will help you out.

If you hang around this board for a few years you'll see hundreds of posts from people in too large boots swearing they could never fit into their mondo size, then they try it and it's a revelation. This is years of combined experience from multiple people telling you to get your boots worked out before you consider buying a board that's also the wrong size. But it's just advice, take it or leave it.

I understand but its snowboard boots not hockey skates. My size 12 riot boots fit and are pretty snug no heel lift. before these boots I had an older northwave, size 12 boot. That's why I was wondering how could you have a 28cm foot and wear a size 10 snowboard boot. I thought both of you are playing April fools joke lol

I will go to a store and try size 10 boots or a size 11 and see if I could fit my foot without spraining my toes.

Thanks for writing.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
The simplest and most effective trick I use fitting people in the correct size is to pull the footbed out and stand on it. Make sure your heel is proper centered in the heel pocket of the footbed. If you can see footbed at your toes, boots are too big.

And actually yes, snowboard boots, like hockey skates, are a performance piece of equipment and the fit isn't all that different.

You say you're in a 13 for running shoes to accommodate width. Proper running shoe fit is a half size big to account for swelling and it sounds like you probably went up another half size for your width.
A. Go find some Altras, read about efficient gait, and have your life changed.
2. This means your street shoe size is likely 12 at the biggest. And for people like you that have wide feet I see them upsize their street shoes too for width. So good chance on a standard Bannock you measure to an 11.5 or 11. Snowboard boots are the tightest they will ever be in the store. You WILL gain 1/2 to 3/4 size in break in and likely a full size at pack out. You want your toes to touch the end of the boot AFTER is broken in. So in store they should be at least half a size smaller than you measure just to accommodate break in. Also if you have flatter feet a proper real footbed can make your foot 1/4 to 1/2 size smaller.

Finally, you can't fit your own boots. If you have no other option then it is what it is and we can offer advice, but sounds like you have effectively fit 2 pairs of snowboard boots in your life, your own. Go to a legit shop with a good boot fitter as they, like I have, have fit likely thousands of boots. To be blunt, my experience outweighs your own feelings of how a boot should fit.

Take all that how you want. But don't be defensive, I'd say 1/1000 people I fit actually know their boot size, and probably 1/100 actually know their real shoe size. You're not alone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will go to a store and try size 10 boots or a size 11 and see if I could fit my foot without spraining my toes.
Make sure that you measure your foot width as well before trying just any boot. You are a size 28 Mondo (US 10), but WIDE. You'll discover that you may only fit a handful of boots designed for wide feet like specific Salomon Wide models (E width), specific Burton Wide models (EEE width) and maybe a few brands/models not designated as wide (e.g. Adidas).

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This thread has taken some interesting twists and turns and I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that the boards being discussed don't particularly qualify as free ride

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
This thread has taken some interesting twists and turns and I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that the boards being discussed don't particularly qualify as free ride
You're right, and the original list is all over the map. But boots are more important, and also Nivek's list pretty much covers the board recommendations. I don't know why the rest of us even bother chiming in really.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Get some proper fitting boots instead of wearing some 2 sizes too big boots.
Both @drblast and @Nivek are trying to help you but just stubborn responses.

I have size 9US or 270mp boots for my 264/267mm feet but since they are wide(EE-width) so I got some wide fitting boots that fits them. Mind-blowing right? Then I got some custom insoles and heat molded liners with more fitting done.
Now they fit as they should with no issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The simplest and most effective trick I use fitting people in the correct size is to pull the footbed out and stand on it. Make sure your heel is proper centered in the heel pocket of the footbed. If you can see footbed at your toes, boots are too big.

And actually yes, snowboard boots, like hockey skates, are a performance piece of equipment and the fit isn't all that different.

You say you're in a 13 for running shoes to accommodate width. Proper running shoe fit is a half size big to account for swelling and it sounds like you probably went up another half size for your width.
A. Go find some Altras, read about efficient gait, and have your life changed.
2. This means your street shoe size is likely 12 at the biggest. And for people like you that have wide feet I see them upsize their street shoes too for width. So good chance on a standard Bannock you measure to an 11.5 or 11. Snowboard boots are the tightest they will ever be in the store. You WILL gain 1/2 to 3/4 size in break in and likely a full size at pack out. You want your toes to touch the end of the boot AFTER is broken in. So in store they should be at least half a size smaller than you measure just to accommodate break in. Also if you have flatter feet a proper real footbed can make your foot 1/4 to 1/2 size smaller.

Finally, you can't fit your own boots. If you have no other option then it is what it is and we can offer advice, but sounds like you have effectively fit 2 pairs of snowboard boots in your life, your own. Go to a legit shop with a good boot fitter as they, like I have, have fit likely thousands of boots. To be blunt, my experience outweighs your own feelings of how a boot should fit.

Take all that how you want. But don't be defensive, I'd say 1/1000 people I fit actually know their boot size, and probably 1/100 actually know their real shoe size. You're not alone.
Thank you the other posters didn't write details. I didn't know mondo sizes are different

My snowboard boots footbed is glued inside can't take it out to measure per your suggestion. But I have attached a photo of size label.

The first size 12us boot was recommended by a snowboard shop, so when I upgraded this season bought a used Ride boa size 12, it was good fit.

Today I went to a local sports shop and the lady measured the foot using the generic scale. She said you don't need size 10us boots, keep your size 12 snowboard boots and just get a wider snowboard. I asked about mondo shoe sizes being different. She didn't know

I will go to another shop tomorrow and try some boots smaller size boots.

Appreciate the tips

1 - 20 of 31 Posts