Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Thank you the other posters didn't write details. I didn't know mondo sizes are different

My snowboard boots footbed is glued inside can't take it out to measure per your suggestion. But I have attached a photo of size label.

The first size 12us boot was recommended by a snowboard shop, so when I upgraded this season bought a used Ride boa size 12, it was good fit.

Today I went to a local sports shop and the lady measured the foot using the generic scale. She said you don't need size 10us boots, keep your size 12 snowboard boots and just get a wider snowboard. I asked about mondo shoe sizes being different. She didn't know

I will go to another shop tomorrow and try some boots smaller size boots.

Appreciate the tips

View attachment 158080
Looks like your boot is 2 cm too long.

Thank you the other posters didn't write details. I didn't know mondo sizes are different

My snowboard boots footbed is glued inside can't take it out to measure per your suggestion. But I have attached a photo of size label.

The first size 12us boot was recommended by a snowboard shop, so when I upgraded this season bought a used Ride boa size 12, it was good fit.

Today I went to a local sports shop and the lady measured the foot using the generic scale. She said you don't need size 10us boots, keep your size 12 snowboard boots and just get a wider snowboard. I asked about mondo shoe sizes being different. She didn't know

Appreciate the tips

View attachment 158080
Sounds legit!馃槀

Premium Member
Check out my sticky thread in the boot forum, matter your feet, take pictures, and Wiredsport will help you out.

Most ski/snowboard shop employees have no idea what they're talking about, or will defer to the customer to appear helpful. I often have to convince shop employees I know what I want in order for them to sell me the right stuff.

There's the rare shop employee who wants to fit people accurately but has been so beaten down by people not understanding that boots pack out and too large is bad that they're just going along with that to make the sale. When I say I ride 50+ days a season, want a performance fit and I understand boots won't be comfortable at first, their eyes light up because finally here is someone they can help. Find that shop.

Finally, like I said before this is just advice. If you take it your boots will be very uncomfortable for the first five days then they'll start to pack out and fit perfectly the more you wear them.

But if you ride 4-5 days a season you're not going to experience that until season 2 unless you heat mold and wear the boots around the house a few days in the summer. But after that you'll get many seasons out of them.

And since finding boards wide enough for a size 12 boot can be a challenge, it's probably worth it. But maybe not, it depends on your goals.

Registered

Appreciate the tips

View attachment 158080
I would never go back to that shop ever.
Its easier to measure yourself with the method described here on SBF.

Registered
When I read 28cm I thought you were in or getting boots in that size...

I have EEEE & EE wide feet. I also wear my casual shoes 2 sizes bigger unless they come in specific extra wide fits. For snowboard boots I am in true mondo size boots in wide fits if available, regulars if not. Custom insoles, aggressive heat molding, multiple times if needed. These all help tune the fit. Many years ago I used to be one of those that swore I could never fit into my true size. Trust me, it will be a night and day difference.

Burton and Salomon make wide specific boots. Some Adidas have wide forefoot, even though they aren't labeled wides. Browse the boot threads for deep dives into all sorts of topics boots related.

Best of luck.

Premium Member

Appreciate the tips
Local sport shop, meaning not local snowboard/ski shop? If it's a generic sporting goods store they definitely won't know shit past a brannock.

You told us 28cm, definitely check that measurement via the threads already recommended. But, even if you are a 28 mondo and truly can't handle a size us10 wide boot, a 10.5 or 11 will still open up a world of new boards to you that a 12 simply rules out.

Registered
I often have to convince shop employees I know what I want in order for them to sell me the right stuff.
Heh. Been riding 16 years. Most visits to the shop for the past ~14 have gone something like this:

(And I know MUCH more about snowboarding and snowboarding gear than I did 14 years ago.)

I know 4 shop guys who I legitimately trust to recommend me gear... and 2 of those guys work(ed) at the same shop (one transitioned to part time). Most shop kids are either rippers who can ride whatever and don't know how to read a spec sheet. Or helpful beginners who can neither ride nor read a spec sheet but can peddle bullshit to people who don't know the difference. Or flatout burnouts who're just in it for the pro-forms and shop pass. Very rarely do you the get the lifers who are competent riders, are familiar enough with board design to talk shop with snowboard nerds, can explain those complex concepts to laymen, and are personable enough to be decent sales folk. Frankly if you have that skill set, you're probably going to use them getting paid a hell of a lot more than minimum wage slinging boards to flatlander tourists.

Unfortunately with a largely clueless clientele base, the market doesn't especially reward actual expertise.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Local sport shop, meaning not local snowboard/ski shop? If it's a generic sporting goods store they definitely won't know shit past a brannock.

You told us 28cm, definitely check that measurement via the threads already recommended. But, even if you are a 28 mondo and truly can't handle a size us10 wide boot, a 10.5 or 11 will still open up a world of new boards to you that a 12 simply rules out.
You are spot on. 10us wide won't work.
Today I tried size 10us 28mondo boots both burton and k2 were way too tight from the toes. They didn't have a 10.5 or 11. I'll shop around. If a 10.5 fits snug and my toes aren't curling, I'll take it. Then I don't need to look for size wide snowboards.

Thank you for the input. 馃嵒

Registered
You are spot on. 10us wide won't work.
Today I tried size 10us 28mondo boots both burton and k2 were way too tight from the toes. They didn't have a 10.5 or 11. I'll shop around. If a 10.5 fits snug and my toes aren't curling, I'll take it. Then I don't need to look for size wide snowboards.

Thank you for the input. 馃嵒
which model of K2s and Burtons did you try ?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts