Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

New to the forum but not new to riding!
With snow on the horizon I'm getting anxious to ride, and I've found myself pondering a second deck to compliment my daily!
Looking for a deck to throw in my bag as a go-to when the conditions are right.

I'm not much of a gear spec-nerd, and researching and choosing my one board was hard enough, so I'm hoping for some help to steer me in the right direction!

I'm from Ontario, Canada, so all my riding is done out-of-province if I can help it.
I travel a lot for work, especially in the winter, and try to bring my gear bag with me when there are mountains near by so I do see a wide assortment of terrain.

My current board is a NeverSummer ProtoType 2 158w, bolted to Union Atlas bindings, Adidas Accera ADV boots.
I'm 6' tall, size 11 feet, and my weight ranges from 185-200lbs.
Medium to Advanced rider.

I ride all over the mountain, but generally I'm off-piste hunting for fresh/deep snow and side hits, or whipping through the trees.
On-piste I'm either hard-charging/carving or in the park looking for big hits. Not a jibber at all, and not much of a cruiser either.

The Prototype2 is a great board as a "do it all", so I'm really looking for a deck that is an extension of it's abilities.
The two areas I notice my proto could be a little better are in deep deep pow (no setback, so the legs get tired leaning back) and pushing speed on groomers (I get some chatter while carving hard and find the edges let go when I'm really pushing my speed).

I'm really drawn to the idea of a swallowtail deck for pow, I rarely ride switch, and I see the benefits of a directional board for both powder and hard-charging.
I figure the swallowtail will give me the powder performance I desire, while the (usually) directional camber profiles of these boards will do a better job locking in the edges than NS's hybrid profile.
I don't want to end up with just a stiffer Proto, I want the difference to be worth the purchase.

I've just begun my list and was hoping to get some feedback or suggestions:

• Bataleon Surfer: (Seems like a blast, but might be too soft?)
  • Borealis Leviathan (Can't find any info other than on whitelines)
  • Korua Shapes Pencil (Seems more freeride-first?)
  • K2 Cool Bean (Might be too gimmicky and pow specific?)
  • Jones Lone Wolf (Maybe this is it?)
Basically I want a powder arrow that I can really rip groomers on and lean into the edges, as I know the NS can cover everything in between. Am I asking for too much here?

Appreciate any help! Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey @AustinSedz,

I cannot comment on the board you listed.
I am 1.8m, 185 lbs and wearing Adidas Acerra size 11, so pretty similar spec!
I have been ridden a Jones Mind Expander 158 last and an Hovercraft 160 recently. They are both a blast.
The Hovercraft is a split so might ride a bit different.
The ME is fantastic in any type of pow or soft groomer but might not be the charger/carver you are after. It is amazing through trees, decent riding switch, and good for side hits tough not as snappy I guess than a board with camber.
The Hovercraft has amazing float, I love the surfy feel you get at high speed particularly. It is not as nimble through trees (tough not bad in my opinion). But this is a great freeride board that you can charge with and carve groomers. Also, due to stiffness and short tail, not great for jumps.But i can only imagine that the Lone Wolf and Cool Bean are not great jumpers either.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Forgot something, i know you mentioned swallow tail, but if you want a charger, good at carving and pow that can hit jumps, you could also have a look at the Ride Superpig, probably the 154cm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey @LeDe thanks for the heads up on the new options! I see the Hovercraft does come as a non-split and seems to have a bunch of praise for it's pow handling, so I'll have to do some more reading on that. I'll also look into the Superpig as well!

As you mentioned, none of these boards are really great for jumping but that's okay as it's not my main concern on this second deck.
If I'm doing park laps, I'll definitely be doing them on the proto as I've been very pleased with it in the park and off of launches/hits.

Thanks friend!

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
You're close, but I think going a little to specific.

Rome Ravine, K2 Simple Pleasures, Endeavor Archetype, Lib Lost Rocket or RNF, DC Supernatant, Ride Super Pig, Arbor Clovis, Burton Hometown Hero, Gnu Hyper Kyarve, Bataleon Camel Toe, anything Moss, Gentem, or TJ, or a Weston Japow.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I rode the Pencil plus last season. It's super nice in powder and great in good snow conditions. I expect the ordinary Pencil is more damp/absorbing.

The Amplid Surfari looks really interesting, If I didn't have my Pencil plus I think I'd want to give that one a try.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you like NS's profile, have a look at the Swift. Its a fusion rocker profile, Ripsaw camber under the back foot and original RC under the front. Basically a directional hybrid. Grips and rips on groomers, too.

Endeavor Archetype looks like a very pow centric board and it is great there but is also super capable on groomers, too. If you can find one, buy it.

Yes Optimistic is awesome carving tight circles on groomers, also works well as a pow tree hunter. The Y. is the same shape, slightly mellower profile, and a simpler construction at a lower price point.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lonewolf is a cool board but most certainly overkill unless you are doing heli drops or select lines at a place such as Jackson Hole.

A Venture Storm might be worth consideration: Straight line, directional rocker with a very stiff tail -drives off the rear foot and likes long, drawn out turns.

Hovercraft, as mentioned above.

And though I have no personal experience, Snofisk makes some interesting and unique options you might take a look at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts