Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ok I am done looking around and making suggestions there’s tons of great boards. I really dig the Rome Gangplank but doesn’t have a size I’d want. That’s my favorite shape for this type of boars. That blunted squares off shape ala global warmer and westmark rocker. The Rome artifact also looks great and love the graphic.
Does anyone know if the westmark flex would be softer then an Evil Twin? Seems abiut the same, maybe even stiffer

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't be afraid of all rocker. Some yes. Never Summer yes. Arbor, no. Lib, no. Some brands do it well, others don't. I would ride a Westmark Rocker all day any day any terrain. So yeah, just depends.
Dammit I love this shape and at 6”0 215 size 11 the 157 MW is my absolute perfect spec with a 260 WW. My only concern is the flex, I’ve read it’s middle of the road maybe on the stiffer side of 5? The rocker is on my new condensed list with the Salomon(huckknife or villain) global warmer, and the Horrorscope . All the boards except the global warmer come in at 260ww, which is my idea for a shorter board. The board I ride now is a 159 evil twin with 256 WW

·
Registered
220 Posts
Meh wings. Buttering is about weight position. To me wings just get in the way.

The benefit to camber is there is more to put your weight into before going over the bars.

TBT can defintely be fun in this aspect, but the same thing that makes it catch free, also means you have less control out on the tips. For many TBT appears like the perfect tech for buttering, to me its great for forgiveness yes, but buttering is about finesse AND control.

The Draft is a good add, camber this year with mellow fenders. Enough to be catch free but still usable.

The top pick from my list is the Gang Plank though, which is flat.
I agree the Gang plank would be at the top of my list but it doesn’t have a good size for me, which is why I’m looking at Arbor, almost identical shape. Is it safe to say the 2020 arbor Draft rocker is essentially a softer westmark rocker, and the 2021 draft camber is basically a softer westmark camber

·
Registered
695 Posts
Don't be afraid of all rocker. Some yes. Never Summer yes. Arbor, no. Lib, no. Some brands do it well, others don't. I would ride a Westmark Rocker all day any day any terrain. So yeah, just depends.
This season will be my first time on a full rocker...Jones storm chaser...but since it will only see deep snow days wonder if I’ll even notice.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Rode the Salomon Villain 155W and the Global Warmer 153W today. The 153 was clearly to short for me but here’s my review. I rode it in the in door in NJ.

First the Villain. This ended up being a great size for me and I really enjoyed riding it. I’ve mostly ridden all mountain freestyle boards in the 157-160 range. In 6’0 215 size 11. First I took a couple runs down the non park side. This board rode great and I would feel confident riding this down a groomer at high speeds. Absolutely not catchy at all, switched from regular to switch, buttered. Again I really liked this board a lot. Also felt quick edge to edge which can be a problem for wide Boards. This isn’t a soft board, it’s dead middle of the road freestyle on par with my evil twin. Not soft but not stiff. Hit jumps, pressed boxes, it’s exactly as advertised.

The Global warmer was to short for me but it was noticeably softer and a much BetteR board for butters And flat land hands down. I did slip out once with a very aggressive speed check, not sure if it was the ice or the board but I felt it. Big blunted tips, good smooth flex pattern, held its own on jumps. Overall good board just wish I got to demo the 156W.

Going back to my evil twin 159 I did notice I missed the extra width and stability. My next board will def be Medium Wide. I bought the villain used on EVO for $300 so have 365 to return it. Gonna take it once on a regular mountain till I decide to keep it or go with a different board. I guess this is the start of a quiver, and I liked it a lot so will prob keep it

·
Registered
695 Posts
Think I’m gonna pull out my burton Sherlock for a more playful option to mess around on...forgot I owned it haha

·
Registered
220 Posts
Think I’m gonna pull out my burton Sherlock for a more playful option to mess around on...forgot I owned it haha
To be honest it’s paralysis by analysis. There so many options out there. So many boards will get the job done. Just gotta pick one and don’t look back

41 - 48 of 48 Posts