Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

I was thinking about getting a new board but im a little bit lost i hope you can help me.
I want it especially for freeriding and piste. Even if sometimes i try some natural jumps or tricks, what i usually do
is practicing carving when im in the piste, or going off-piste everytime i can.
I would spend 300€ maximum, if you know any site where i can find discounted boards, i dont mind if its from another
season.

Ive read that the best for this is a directional board, well, but the problem is I dont know if traditional camber,
flat, or reverse camber (banana). Ive been told everybody tend to go for the reverse camber nowadays, but it looks
to me that traditional cambered boards would respond better for carving and freeriding.

Could you give me some advices of this and tell me any board that would be ok for me?
Ive been looking for a Bataleon Omni, and Ive found a discounted K2 Podium for 299€ (original prize 475€)
or a Jones Mountain Twin for 329€ in a shop here, for example.

Thanks in advance! and im sorry for my english

·
The Swiss Miss
7,447 Posts
Where do you ride? What boards did you have so far?
My resort riding concentrates on carving and off-piste pow as well and I prefer camber hybrid boards (other names for them are RCR or camrock) with camber between feet, but early rocker in the nose allows for good float in pow.
I tried a CRC = rocker between feet (NS Raptor), which was surprisingly fun to carve, but I didn't like the wiggly feel of it while going straight line. Been told here that this will be the case for all CRC. Husband (by far the more experienced rider) owns this board and doesn't care. So it's really a personal thing... Have you ridden boards with rocker between the feet? If not, do you have the opportunity to demo such boards to find out if it's for you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi!
Unfortunately i havent got the chance to test anything other than my ancient cambered (or what it used to be camber, its flaccid now) Lib Tech, and i think im not going to have because i dont know how.

Freeriding and off-piste is what i like the most, when conditions are good i try to go to Pyrenees to do it all day, but I usually ride in a cheap spanish resort where i go for practicing 40% carving in groomers, 45% off-piste (all snow conditions), 15% tricks in natural features (jumps, grabs...).

After all, i dont get more than 4 really deep pow days in each season (I can go snowboarding 15 days more or less per season), thats why i want a board that works in all conditions.

Would the Jones Mountain Twin be a good choice? It has the Rocker Camber Rocker CamRock that you mean, but i dont know if it will work well at carving, cause people say you barely notice the camber between the bindings.

Thanks!

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
I'd agree with neni's suggestion of a Camrock board for your type of riding.

Rossignol Experience comes to mind as an option.
Rossignol XV Magtek is another good choice but it's a new board I believe and likely to be out of your budget.

Also have a look at the Yes Pick Your Line. Same camrock profile from a different company.

Good luck.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,447 Posts
The boards of this shape I've tried and liked for carving (Volkl Coal, Ride Highlife, Jones Flagship) are not very suitable for all day riding, meaning, they are great on good groomers, but a rather harsh ride in the afternoon when skiers ruined the groomers and moguls n crud show up. I guess you search for a good do-it-all-day-in-all-conditions tradeoff board?

I've recently asked for freeride boards with good carving capabilities over here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/85073-aggressive-freeride-board.html; some "exotic" Europen boards were suggested, maybe you'll find some ideas that appeal to you for further research.

Normally I'd say, buy local, but I guess, you don't have too many shops close by... As for online retailers in Spain, look at Blue Tomato

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Since you asked about the Jones Mountain Twin I'll chime in here.

Unlike others on this forum I only talk about boards I have actually owned. I don't feel that 1 or 2 days on a demo will really give anyone enough experience to have a valid input. Especially across varying conditions.

Powder:
This really isn't my favorite powder board. It does well for being a twin and I sized up a little to a 157 so the extra length helps. I still prefer my hovercraft split over anything else on deep days.

Freeride:
I wouldn't choose it over a Custom X or a Jones Flagship. I feel like it is a touch too soft to really put the power down. It does handle speed pretty well. In the chop it isn't quite as easy to just plow through things. However, for what it lacks in precision it makes up for in playfulness. You might not be as fast as your friends on true freeride boards but I guarantee you'll have a blast.

All-Mountain:
This is where the board shines. Want to go fast? sure. What to jump off a small feature? ok! Want to hit the park on the way back to the chair? Lets do it! Want to ride switch and butter? No problem. Pretty much anything you can do in-bounds this board will handle with no problem.

Pipe:
I actually think the MT is one of my favorite pipe boards all time. It climbs walls like nobody's business and the pop is so much fun. Almost feels like easy mode.

Park:
I don't think this is a great park board. It has enough pop and depending on length will do fine on larger jumps. However, it isn't as forgiving as a softer board. So if your idea of a park run is "something to do before I get on the chair" then you'll be fine. If you want to lap park all day I would look elsewhere.

Street/Rails:
Not my thing but I imagine this wouldn't be the best option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
David - After reading your post, a board comes to mind.

The Forum Destroyer Double-Dog - last season or this season (does not matter)

It has a blend of rocker and camber and I think, for what you are planning on doing, this would be a great fit for you. I roamed all over the mountain with the destroyer and did not feel there was an area that it got shaky in. Pretty powerful board, but enough flex to make it playful on certain parts of the mountain. It is categorized as park/jumps, but trust me when I tell you, it is an all-mountain killer.

If you have anymore questions about it, feel free to shoot us a message. Good luck with your search!

Cheers

@Snowboard_World

·
Registered
23 Posts
The boards of this shape I've tried and liked for carving (Volkl Coal, Ride Highlife, Jones Flagship) are not very suitable for all day riding, meaning, they are great on good groomers, but a rather harsh ride in the afternoon when skiers ruined the groomers and moguls n crud show up. I guess you search for a good do-it-all-day-in-all-conditions tradeoff board?
I suppose it is not only skiers - but every fucking bad riders who schrachs the piste instead of riding on edge.

By the way NS Raptor is great board for "ruined groomers" and moguls - I found it very fun on such terrain,
I have the board for 2 years and i I found it to be very vertisable and confortable for any conditions ride. And it is also decent carver.

A bit not very stable feel on flat base - is a lack of pactice. I felt the same way when I bought the board. Last winter I had ridden very fast on flat base - and I felt confident. You just need to press your front leg more on such profile.

·
Registered
730 Posts
David - After reading your post, a board comes to mind.

The Forum Destroyer Double-Dog - last season or this season (does not matter)

It has a blend of rocker and camber and I think, for what you are planning on doing, this would be a great fit for you. I roamed all over the mountain with the destroyer and did not feel there was an area that it got shaky in. Pretty powerful board, but enough flex to make it playful on certain parts of the mountain. It is categorized as park/jumps, but trust me when I tell you, it is an all-mountain killer.

If you have anymore questions about it, feel free to shoot us a message. Good luck with your search!

Cheers

@Snowboard_World
WAT? I have a question @Snowboard_World, where can I get this years Forum Destroyer Double-Dog?

ANYHOW, I'd second a CamRock or RCR board for sure. I have a few of the camrock YES boards and they are really solid. Everyone I know with a Jones loves them. hopefully you can demo a few before you buy one....

·
Registered
451 Posts
i can't speak on the bataleon omni itself, but i do own three boards with TBT profile, and i love them all. the other two boards i have are both never summers, one is traditional camber from a while back, and a new one with RC.

as for all of these profiles, i absolutely love the feeling of TBT boards. it is so fast edge to edge, and when you really get going, it has all the springy-ness of a regular camber board. TBT feels just as stable as standard camber, because it is. i'd really recommend you trying one out, if you can.

TBT boards are so 123456789!!!!

another thing i will say, and others may think this is bullshit, but if you don't know what you want, the only way to find out is to dive in and see what you like. buy the deck that appeals to you most, for whatever reason. you'll figure out your preferences soon enough! i'm still very new to snowboarding, and i like to try a lot of stuff, just to have a good idea of what i like and don't like. i'm sure it will always change as i progress, too.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I wrongly assumed someone who runs a twitter account offering news and #knowledge and #experience would have known that.... :laugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi!
First of all, thank you all very much for the answers, you are really helping me in my search.
Ive just read CamRocks (RCRs) give the feeling of a loose cambered board, and im not sure if this is going to help too much for carving... what do you think?

Ive been this morning at the shop to check this out and i realized the Jones MT is almost flat in comparison with the traditional cambered K2 Podium. But the Podium (300€) is from the 08/09 season and the MT (329€) from 2012. Is it worth spending 300€ in the Podium being so old or can i discard it?

They also have a Jones Flagship for 399€, is this so much better than the MT to be worth the price difference?

·
Registered
730 Posts
By saying loose cambered, it can be a touch deceiving. I have found camrock to be pretty dialed in in terms of holding an edge. The MT isnt flat by any means, but from other members and reviews, if you can splurge for the Flagship, you will not be disappointed in terms of carving....Neni could chime in and tell you all about it, she got one and would marry it if she could. :D

·
The Swiss Miss
7,447 Posts
By saying loose cambered, it can be a touch deceiving. I have found camrock to be pretty dialed in in terms of holding an edge. The MT isnt flat by any means
My Flagship (and others in the store I've been in) is almost flat while other members here owning one mentioned a pronounced camber. I've asked at Jonessnowboards; they said it's manufactering deviation. Could be the same with the MT David had checked. Guess we Euros received a flat Jones batch :D

Neni could chime in and tell you all about it, she got one and would marry it if she could. :D
:thumbsup::giggle:
Not only me... since the husband tried mine, he wants to get one too, and he defenitely knows to carve (I still try to steer him away from it though and convince him to try a Rossi XV first and I hope he'll like it. I really don't want him to ride the same board as me :blink::D)

Anyway, I don't know the MT, so I can't compare them. One thing to keep in mind is the Flagship is rough. Super stable, super fun in pow, super fun to charge, super fast edge to edge (aaaw, I'm doing it again :laugh: hosianna, I just love that board) but its rough in moguls and crud. I don't care too much about that since our runs are groomed every night. I don't know how much snow you get in the Pyrenees and how well the groomers are groomed :dunno:

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
My Flagship (and others in the store I've been in) is almost flat while other members here owning one mentioned a pronounced camber. I've asked at Jonessnowboards; they said it's manufactering deviation. Could be the same with the MT David had checked. Guess we Euros received a flat Jones batch :D

:thumbsup::giggle:
Not only me... since the husband tried mine, he wants to get one too, and he defenitely knows to carve (I still try to steer him away from it though and convince him to try a Rossi XV first and I hope he'll like it. I really don't want him to ride the same board as me :blink::D)

Anyway, I don't know the MT, so I can't compare them. One thing to keep in mind is the Flagship is rough. Super stable, super fun in pow, super fun to charge, super fast edge to edge (aaaw, I'm doing it again :laugh: hosianna, I just love that board) but its rough in moguls and crud. I don't care too much about that since our runs are groomed every night. I don't know how much snow you get in the Pyrenees and how well the groomers are groomed :dunno:
I remember the whole camber thing about the flagship.

Here is my Carbon 161

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my local store in russia wooden flagship in not only flat - but has reverse camber :)
At the same time more expensive carbonium version of flagship has pronounced camber like on the photo above.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts