Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

It's almost been a year since I first tried to post my review. It got deleted and I got so caught up in school I needed the ride to be fresh in my mind before I tried to write it again.

My Specs:
Skill Level: High Intermediate
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 195 lbs
Boots: Size 9 K2 Maysis
Bindings: Rome Katana @ 15, -12 & 21.75" wide

Mountain: Lookout Pass, Idaho/Montana

Conditions: Just dumped 30" of fresh.

*This review was written based on my own unbiased views and opinions of the gear I rode. I own it personally and was not loaned anything for testing. Also, while I have about 16 years experience total, I still consider myself just a mediocre 'above average' rider, so my perspectives don't come from as much skill or experience as many other reviewers on here.*

Handling:
I was really pleased with how the board handled in varying conditions, including the deep pow. It's not a powder board of course, but the extra 1 cm of nose did help a little bit. To me it felt like a nice medium to medium-stiff flex. I really enjoyed the way it carved and it had some nice snap out of turns. (Coming back to camber after a few years of trying out assorted reverse camber boards felt goooood!) Finally, while I didn't push it too hard, I never felt like the board couldn't handle what I threw at it and was pretty stable at speed, yet maintained good board feel.
One note, while perhaps some uber aggressive riders might not care for them, I really appreciated the tiny bit of extra forgiveness I got from having the uprise fenders, while still reaping a lot of the benefits of riding camber. As Nivek has said it feels better driving through the Griptech contact points than how you might traditionally ride an old camber stick.

Ollies/Pop off jumps:
The park wasn't done here so no big jumps to speak of , but as others have said, the pop is great! My ollie-ing abilities leave something to be desired, but when I got to it, the snap was phenomenal and it consistently gave me great pop off of the side hits and cat tracks I was launching. I was working most of the day on my nollie front flips (still a lot of work to do) and it snapped equally well off of the nose and tail.

Switch:
Again the disclaimer remains that I'm not a great rider and that includes switch riding, but I felt comfortable whenever I rode switch or landed from 180's.

Presses/Butters:

I didn't hit any rails, but it's definitely doable though you at least have to have some concept of how to get out over the nose or tail.

Overall impressions:
My new favorite board, at least for now. Lots of fun to ride and would likely work out okay for riders of varying skill levels. Still, it was most fun when pushing it a bit harder, popping off of everything you can and trying not to miss out on any of the natural features available. Just forgiving enough for a mediocre rider like myself to feel stable at speed, and still not eat it when I mess up.

One negative I have already seen after just a few days is durability. The topsheet and base both were less durable than I would have liked. I'm p texing a couple of spots on the nose/tail where it was compromised. Nothing too serious and mostly cosmetic, but could easily turn into a delam down the road if not addressed.

All in all: I highly recommend the Coda Camber!

Quick review of the Rome Katana Bindings:

I loved them! Straps were comfy and the cant felt good to me. The flex felt forgiving enough but never failed me when I wanted to push my riding harder. TONS of adjustability which can be time consuming but I enjoy setup quite a bit. I was a bit nervous fine tuning my stance width, due to the fact that in order to do this you need to line up the tracks in the disc perpendicular with the board's edge and had to use 4 holes closer together in order to get it to my desired 22.25" width. Maybe I'm missing something there. Anyways, they're totally worth it. A very versatile binding and very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Nice review, i demo'd one last February. After riding the regular rocker Coda for the last 3 years it felt radically different. Not a fan of TBT boards but the mellow uprise on the nose gave it nice roll edge to edge.

I did a little overview of it on my blog back then.

The Coda has a medium to stiff flex with an Ash top sheet that helps dampen the bumps and crud. Compared to my rocker version, the cambered Coda had a lot more pop off the tail and felt a lot more at home railing through carves even on the icy stuff. I could feel the extra kick as I came out of a turn, although it was a little less quick edge to edge than the rocker version. This is the board to have for park jumps and everywhere else on the mountain, especially here in the northeast where conditions tend to be more unforgiving and full rocker boards can get squirrely.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey All,

It's almost been a year since I first tried to post my review. It got deleted and I got so caught up in school I needed the ride to be fresh in my mind before I tried to write it again.
You still diggin the Coda Camber? Picked up a factory blem 159 for $299 and just waiting for it to arrive. Stoked to get back on a responsive camber deck after years on Mervin C2 and assorted softish camrock decks. Hoping the pop is as quick and ample as most reviews make it seem.

Also noticed you had a Billy Goat. Thinking about selling my old Riders Choice and picking up a BG this off-season. How does it compare to the Coda?

Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
First ride yesterday.

You still diggin the Coda Camber? Picked up a factory blem 159 for $299 and just waiting for it to arrive. Stoked to get back on a responsive camber deck after years on Mervin C2 and assorted softish camrock decks. Hoping the pop is as quick and ample as most reviews make it seem.

Also noticed you had a Billy Goat. Thinking about selling my old Riders Choice and picking up a BG this off-season. How does it compare to the Coda?

Thanks!
2016 159cm. This is an addictively fun board. After shedding off a moderate hangover (ie, stopped being a pussy and committed some power and speed) the Coda rewarded me with 3 things I love most about snowboarding: that responsive camber snap out of turns, stable flat basing and immensely rewarding pop. Thought it was washy until I consciously loaded the griptech points like you and Nivek's review stated. From then on it was locked.

Unusually cold PNW temps kept the chop from a pow weekend ridable. The Coda just ate that up. Lively but stable, and so dynamic. Great landing in the chop and riding out of whatever you just sent. I think the griptech helps here, just so quick to a locked in critical turn. Loves steeps, but remains playful everywhere. A rare breed indeed!

So stoked on this board

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your feedback. Agreed! Although I'm sour now as I went over the handlebars in deep pow last week and essentially shredded every ligament in my ankle. Still hoping to shred some more in a week or 2.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Update after a few rides.

Still in the honeymoon phase but this is the best board I've owned. The spring out of turns makes makes me want to fart sparkles and rainbows. I've never had more fun simply turning on a board. The griptech is right at your feet and just wants to saw away at everything. I've ridden Mervin magnatraction boards for over 10 years and this is better for usable everyday edge enhancement. (Magnatraction may be better on icy days but I dont know yet). Turns on steeps are just crazy. Feels like a hungry pack of woodchucks on a sugar high between your feet on each edge. You just rocket out of each turn with no hangups or awkward adjusting. So quick edge to edge without any notable sketch.

The camber snap at the tip and tail are video game absurd. It fools you into fearing those traditional camber contact points at the tips are gonna dump you on your face at any moment....but they're not because they are artfully lifted. Feels like your getting away with something, like that dream where you find yourself in the mall after closing with your skateboard and no security to be found. And you still get to blast through uneven terrain and groomers on a flatbase just like traditional camber.

I love this board so much I kinda want the Iguchi for deeper snow days. Maybe a bit too much crossover though. Anyway, so fun.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Still in the honeymoon phase but this is the best board I've owned. The spring out of turns makes makes me want to fart sparkles and rainbows. I've never had more fun simply turning on a board. The griptech is right at your feet and just wants to saw away at everything. I've ridden Mervin magnatraction boards for over 10 years and this is better for usable everyday edge enhancement. (Magnatraction may be better on icy days but I dont know yet). Turns on steeps are just crazy. Feels like a hungry pack of woodchucks on a sugar high between your feet on each edge. You just rocket out of each turn with no hangups or awkward adjusting. So quick edge to edge without any notable sketch.

The camber snap at the tip and tail are video game absurd. It fools you into fearing those traditional camber contact points at the tips are gonna dump you on your face at any moment....but they're not because they are artfully lifted. Feels like your getting away with something, like that dream where you find yourself in the mall after closing with your skateboard and no security to be found. And you still get to blast through uneven terrain and groomers on a flatbase just like traditional camber.

I love this board so much I kinda want the Iguchi for deeper snow days. Maybe a bit too much crossover though. Anyway, so fun.
Damn...you got me wanting one now too...!

·
Registered
488 Posts

Picked up the Brian Iguchi version of this deck, love being back on a camber after riding mostly NS decks the past 2 years. This thing sends off jumps as well, very fun flex allowing butters (nose is softer than tail). Have it paired with Now Drives, seems to be a decent pairing, may throw my Ride Capo on it to get a bit more playful ride. Highly recommend this deck to all yone wanting to slay the whole mountain. Only place it may to be great is jibs.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts