Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really interested in the Coda for this year. Just wondering if anyone has experience between the two and know if the Wasteland is just a slight upgrade on the Coda, ridiculously stiffer/responsive, or am I just better off saving the $100 bucks and getting the Coda.
Also, seems everywhere I look at reviews, each reviewer comments on the chatter and tip softness. Is this just a rocker thing, or is this going to effect the responsiveness of the deck.
I'm an older generation of rider, finally taking the plunge to the newer tech of today (from camber to rocker), and this is the only thing that has me iffy on the deck.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
833 Posts
What kind of riding do you do / want to do? That should help you choose. Wasteland is Arbor's flagship board and built for big mountain riding I believe. Coda is more all mountain freestyle with a bit more flex. You should also consider the Element - similar to the Coda but perhaps more all mountain...not much in it though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say I'm all mountain freestyle, 10% park. I just want an all purpose destroyer. I love really poppy, snappy decks. I've narrowed it down to about 5, just not sure yet. It's between the Coda, Element, Westmark, Interior Plains Honalee or Rome Mod Rocker. I'm 6'1", 215lbs, and looking in the 157-160 range. I love to boost off natural features, but love charging Mach Chicken down groomers and off piste where possible.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I'd say I'm all mountain freestyle, 10% park. I just want an all purpose destroyer. I love really poppy, snappy decks. I've narrowed it down to about 5, just not sure yet. It's between the Coda, Element, Westmark, Interior Plains Honalee or Rome Mod Rocker. I'm 6'1", 215lbs, and looking in the 157-160 range. I love to boost off natural features, but love charging Mach Chicken down groomers and off piste where possible.
demo some rocker before you buy, my feeling is you will hate it

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
215lbs on a 157.
You want to go charging Mach Chicken.

That 157 is gonna feel like one of those crazy carpets..

Launching off shit requires a little bigger board or you're just makin' bomb holes.

TT

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would you recommend then, TT?
I've never had issues in the past with that size. Admittedly it's more work, but I just don't have much fun on bigger rides.
I just need a one board quiver for the next few years, having young kids and all.
I just want something I can tackle the entire mountain in any and all conditions.
I have a decent powder stick (Nitro Shadow), but it's stupid stiff for day to day riding

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
That board is good, I've had one & I really liked it.
I never wax my shit, & it was fast.
I believe it's the same as the skate banana, just cheaper & with a faster base.

Just that type of board needs to be a bit longer.
I thought it was great everywhere, but going big & fast.
Solely on the size. 56 just isn't big enough for me to go big & fast.
Even if it was camber that's a bit small for me.

It'll be a little squirrely er that your old camber decks.
Not tonnes, but you'll prolly have a moment or two where your heart skips a beat, cause you think you're about to eat shit going faster than you shoulda been.

This board comes outa those pretty good though.
You'll prolly only scare yourself
No eatin' shit today.

TT
That board you can definitely get away with adding some length & having it still be fun.

I weigh a lot less than you. I go in the park every once in a while, but prolly less than 10%

I think you should trade it for the 62.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are your comments in reference only to the Coda? Or some of the others I listed as well?
What would you say are other all mountain freestyle decks to give a serious look at?

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
The,only size issue I see would be you going to small.

If anyone says 162 is too big for a 6"+ 215lb dude.

Just turn around, they don't know what they're talkin' about.

Take a boo over on bomberonline.
It's 90% hard boots, but prolly 80% ride softies as well.
They just don't talk about it much.

When you ride hard boots that much you kinda like your softies to perform similar.
They make hard chargin' softy boards, I don't think they make a single guys one @ 157?
Hard chargin' boards are bigger.

I like big boards always have, they eat up bumps like an old Cadillac.
Short boards are the equivalent to a 1978 Honda Civic.

Which one do you wanna take down the gravel road with speed?

Hmm? Haha

TT

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Are your comments in reference only to the Coda? Or some of the others I listed as well?
What would you say are other all mountain freestyle decks to give a serious look at?
I thought I just read you bought a carbon credit?
Maybe I'm in two threads?
I'm on my phone, it completely weird.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
If this is still going I think youll be much better off with something that still has some camber in it. Can the Coda and Wasteland kill it everywhere and at high speeds? Yeah, but you gotta know you want full rocker doing all that. I think some stuff you'd really like would be the Ride Burnout, Yes Greats, Capita DOA, Flow Whiteout.

·
Registered
495 Posts
There is an east coast Arbor rep on the Snowboard trader group on Facebook that has last years demo boards (so current model year) and one of the ones he has is a 161 Wasteland, he quoted me $375 plus shipping. I looked into it, but that much rocker in an all mountain board doesn't look like that much fun.

I'm a broken record on this, but the Rome Mod is a kick ass board. Unfortunately the Mod Rocker isn't made any longer than 156 (you can get an Agent Rocker in a 159 I think which is a decent compromise). I rode a 156 cambered Mod for the last couple of months of last season and at 6', 235lbs, it was perfect for spring time full Mach Chicken. If the pieces fall together right, I'm going to add a 159 or 162 into the quiver.

The Gnu Billy Goat is another all mountain destroyer you might want to look at. It's a camber dominant hybrid profile. Basically there's a bit of a rocker between the feet and camber from the inserts out to the tip & tail, so the rocker is suspended a bit. Making it somewhat playful, but still locked in with the camber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts