Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will soon have the opportunity to trasnfer within my craft (train inspector) to either Denver CO or Vancouver/Pasco Washington and I can't decide which way I want to go.

I've been going to Breck,Keystone,Abasin and Copper for the last 7 years and I have always wanted to live there, but now my options are opening up.

So basically I'd like to hear anyones opinions weather good or bad about both and what you would choose given the opportunity.

Thanks for all input!!!!!!

Your friend,
M2M

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
Lived in both areas albeit Colorado a lot longer.

Pros of Washington:

Insane snow falls that are measured in the range of FEET not inches.
Terrain that is some of the gnarliest and most technically fun I've ever encountered.
Seattle
Fish
Meth, lots of meth!
Ski hills not ski resorts
Coffee

Pros of Colorado:
A bad year here is an average winter anywhere else.
Epic Pass
Denver
Marijuana
Evidently we're all on Coke too.
Length of season.

Cons of Washington:
Rain, you have to watch where that snow line is. That 3 feet of fresh snow could now be sludge covered with 5 inches of rain on top.
Driving everywhere sucks.
Rain
Lack of sun through most of the winter.
The people (subjective I know but seriously fuck 99% of Washington states people)
High suicide rate

Cons of Colorado:
Lower snowfall totals depending on which part of the state.
Terrain that has more rocks exposed than Washington
Epic Pass
I-70 Traffic
Idiots that do not know how to drive
Tourist destination
It's cold here in the winter (if you are a pussy)
Hippies
Dubstep
CU Boulder
Parking at resorts
Mega resorts vs family ski hills

Vancouver/Pasco is Southern WA so you'll have White Pass or be driving to Oregon. Not exactly an easy straight shot like Colorado has.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Vancouver isn't even Washington anymore, you're riding Mt. Hood that far south.

Also, WA sucks, it only rains and everybody is a hipster. Avoid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pot is legal in Washington, too, although much more regulated. Still, nobody gives a damn if u reef, including law enforcement.

Best fishing anywhere in the lower 48. Possibly in north america if you consider the length of the season.

And speaking of seafood, you can't really find anything better, even down in Cali. Seriously, next time you find yourself at Fisherman's Wharf, take a look at where their crab and oysters come from. That's right. Dungeoness from the Hood Canal and South Sound oysters.

And on that note, sushi. Plus any asian cuisine you desire. All of that is better in WA. Perhaps some asian food is better in Cali (if it is, not by much), but definitely not sushi.

The post about riding mt hood is true. Vancouver is honorary portland. I suppose you could make a long drive to crystal (which had a one-day opening this week. Look it up!) but that would be over two hours compared to maybe an hour or so. But timberline (hood) boasts year-round lift-spinning, so you could satiate your addiction in july.

Oregon has no sales tax (not sure about CO). Many many people live in Vancouver and shop in portland (imagine buying $1500 worth of new gear tax-free)

Dont forget that in vancouver, wa u are still only a day drive from whistler. and baker is even closer in bellingham.

I can't speak for colorado but I grew up in WA (tacoma) so I can probably answer a lot of other questions about WA

·
Registered
33 Posts
Denver if you are into music is insane, red rocks is a top 2 venue and its 25mins away, every single group you want to see will come through the denver boulder area. Far better music scene than portland overall

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Gorge in George, WA is basically ranked second behind Red Rocks Amphitheater (and of course there is debate about who is #1). Seattle is still somewhat of an epicenter for music. Can't argue with the frequency of good acts at the continental divide, though. It's just too convenient for bands to make it there, and east coasters basically see Denver as the "West". LOL to that, but it is what it is.

You, sir, have quite the conundrum on your hands! Colorado and Washington have a ton in common!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I prefer Colorado.
If you're a vegan and a scene kid you may prefer Washington. :dunno:

It would be pretty tough to get me out of Denver, I love it here. Pretty biased..

·
Registered
33 Posts
While the gorge is very comparable to red rocks, the point is that red rocks is only 30mins away, where as the Gorge is at closest 2h30mins away. The gorge is also gigantic, so only the largest acts in the world or festivals play there, where as red rocks is more reasonably sized and actually has shows fairly often.

I live in Seattle though, and love it. Denver is one of the only places that is comparable really. If you love seafood, Seattle is unbeatable

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Denver and Seattle are not comparable. Seattle wins. We aren't talking about that, we are talking about Portland/Vancouver vs Denver. In that scenario Denver wins hands down.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am definitely taking all this in. It's the exact debate I'm having with myself. I also love to surf. Damn it.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
San Diego is a 12.5 hour drive for me from vail. 3 hour flight from Denver. I have driven it 3 times. The beach is a lot more comfortable in SoCal. The beach and water in the pnw is cold as a motherfucker. The water in SoCal is cool but you can get by without a 5mm wetsuit.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
San Diego is a 12.5 hour drive for me from vail. 3 hour flight from Denver. I have driven it 3 times. The beach is a lot more comfortable in SoCal. The beach and water in the pnw is cold as a motherfucker. The water in SoCal is cool but you can get by without a 5mm wetsuit.
Colder water brings less sharks right?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Since when does a surfer worry about sharks? I spent a shitload of time in the water when I was younger and never worried too much about them.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just trying to see the upside to things. And I believe every surfer thinks about sharks but just says fuck it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts