Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I love my NS Evo and the camber profile, but with all the discussion about new or lesser known brands, I've been doing a little research on expanding my quiver a little.
I've been checking out :
Yes. Trouble 154
Salomon Villain
Niche Aether
Sapient Evolution

I'm looking for something similar to my Evo or even closer to the Proto really.. The Villain was on my wish list for awhile but the Yes deck sounds pretty awesome. I definitely want a hybrid camber...no full rocker, no flat base.
Sugestions PAHLEASE

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I havent ridden the Trouble but have ridden the Jackpot, which was a fun do anything slightly softer board. Yes has been killin lately, they're a brand I've been really pumped on recently.

The Villain is one of the best snowboards I've ever ridden. Be aware, you might never ride your Evo again if you get a Villain.

Bio resins need another 3-4 years or for Loaded longboards to enter the snowboard scene before they're gonna be durably viable. The strength just isnt there yet. Signal played with it a bit last year on some protos. So unless you're willing to risk a snap or major delam I'd pass on Niche.

Sapient still exists? I suggest you stay clear.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had my eye on the Villain all season.. I think ill probably end up going that way . I just wanted to explore what else was out there but I've heard nothing but praise for it and I love the graphics too

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not sure why you would buy something so similar to the board you have if you are looking to expand a quiver. Isn't the purpose of a quiver to have a board for different situations?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not sure why you would buy something so similar to the board you have if you are looking to expand a quiver. Isn't the purpose of a quiver to have a board for different situations?
I was thinking the same. How bout you go all out and buy a powder gun? U might become a powder maniac.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live on the east coast. A powder specific board would be a total waste. I love my Evo but it's gotten pretty beat up and I'm looking for something slightly stiffer and with a little more pop and edge hold. That's why I was aiming at the Proto originally. Also my Evos top sheet is almost perfect and I want it to stay that way when I hang it up lol. The base on the other hand....not so much .

Like I said, I'm totally open to suggestions.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I live on the east coast. A powder specific board would be a total waste. I love my Evo but it's gotten pretty beat up and I'm looking for something slightly stiffer and with a little more pop and edge hold. That's why I was aiming at the Proto originally. Also my Evos top sheet is almost perfect and I want it to stay that way when I hang it up lol. The base on the other hand....not so much .

Like I said, I'm totally open to suggestions.
Burton custom? Lib travis rice?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Aight, East Coast huh? From what I know, that means some, ICE, riding. (Ba-dum tss!) So, you need edge hold & cutting power to plow through the ice. Do you ride a lot of park? And what's your preferred bend? Rocker, Hybrid, Camber?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ride as much park as I can, but I also mix in alot of groomed runs with my gf.. The Evo has been pretty perfect but it definitely takes alot of work to hold an edge anywhere over 40mph.. It's also softened up quite a bit as its broken in. I have a small core shot on the base near the edge and no matter how many times I Ptex it, the Ptex comes right out after a few runs. I LOVE this board, but I know it's getting close to retirement. It probably has about 45 days on it, but I've beaten the crap out of it.. Tree bonks, running over rocks , etc.
I prefer hybrid camber .. Specially NS type camber profile. I've ridden flat bases ( Omatic extr txtr and ride Buckwild and they just felt lifeless to me) and I've ridden camber and full rocker.. I have a stiff full rockered pipe deck, and sold my cambered burton primo to a friend. I don't miss camber, but I do miss the kind of edge hold it had. I really don't like full rocker as I just feel it's really limited and loses alot of pop.. More than likely if I ever catch a pow day that'd be my pow stick.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Check out the Smokin Superpark also. They do a hybrid version with magne-traction that's a fun ride.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Get a status snowboard same rocker camber profile heck same factory and patent number. Cost 116 shipped for model id which is like the evo.

U can even buy a 2nd board for free riding the focus model for 116 as well

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where did you find them for 116? Also, has anyone ridden the Uno model ?

·
Registered
548 Posts
If the sale price is 159 or 169 take another 30% off with the "save30now" coupon code which drops it to 116 or so.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you tried the UNO? I want a stiffer deck than my Evo

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info EastSide, now with that, the Burton that comes to mind is the Custom Flying V or Custom Flying V Twin. The Flying V twin is nice for what you do because the off axis Squeezebox and frostbite. The Frostbite will also help you get an edge hold on the ice out the East Coast. I speak from experience riding a Flying V board myself, it's a really flexible board with stability at speed for the groomers. If you not a big fan of Burton boards, I suggest checking out the Youngblood or the Destroyer Doubledog from Forum.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Flying-V, even with Squeezebox, is not great on the ice. Really I think Squeezebox is pretty lacking.

I do ride a flying-v on the east coast and I get by, but I wouldn't say it's ideal.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not really interested in Burton.. Their graphics bore me and I'd like to try some lesser known brands or just stick with NS..

So far the Proto or Villain still seems to be on the top of my list. The Status UNO and the Yes deck are close seconds. I don't get alot of demo days here so I'm looking for suggestions .. Oh and I don't necessarily NEED magentractiom or similar.. I ride steep blacks on the Evo so it's not like I need a board specifically designed for better edge hold.. I'm really just looking for something a little more all mountain and a little more stable at speed

·
Registered
919 Posts
On the Villian, (Nivek gave it props) I ride at Brighton here and all the park crew is riding villians (like 6 or 7 of them that I have met) Brighton has a thing going on with Salomon this year but they could pick any of thier decks and they took the villian. All of them reported being very happy with them.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
At 150lbs I rode the 53 Villain at Steamboat on a knee deel day puking about an inch an hour. Excelled. Knowing the flex and talking to people that have really thrown it around in the park I know it will jill it there too. It truly is one of the greatest boards I've ever ridden. Not really stiffer than an Evo, but in my experience vastly more capable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts