Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I just got contact lenses today and was wondering if it is possible to ride with. Will anything happen to them/my eyes. Will they dry out easier? If anyone has had any experience riding with them can you please let me know?:dunno:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've never noticed my contacts with or without my goggles on. I usually always ride with goggles though unless they fog up. You'll be fine. I do have to say that with contacts, like most things, you get what you pay for. I personally like the Acuvue Oasys, they never dry my eyes out and I can wear them all day and night and never notice they are there. Cheaper contacts might dry out your eyes more when you ride, I'm not sure, but I've tried a few different brands over the years and there is a big difference between a lot of them.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never noticed my contacts with or without my goggles on. I usually always ride with goggles though unless they fog up. You'll be fine. I do have to say that with contacts, like most things, you get what you pay for. I personally like the Acuvue Oasys, they never dry my eyes out and I can wear them all day and night and never notice they are there. Cheaper contacts might dry out your eyes more when you ride, I'm not sure, but I've tried a few different brands over the years and there is a big difference between a lot of them.
Do they come in 1 day. I have a stigmatism and the doctor said it would be better to go with one days

·
Registered
238 Posts
what do you mean?
At least wear some shades. Snow reflects so much light. It's one of the reasons snow blindness is such a big deal if you get stranded without eye protection.

Also, as a fellow contact wearer I doubt you'll notice them at all once you've gotten over the initial adjustment period. Soft contact lenses are pretty good at letting oxygen through to your eyeballs, but if you sleep with them on you may notice some discomfort until you use some rewetting drops (even if you get the kind meant for sleeping).

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Snowboarding was the main reason for me getting contacts in the first place. They have never been a problem while boarding. In fact I was riding the first night I had them. I always were goggle otherwise my contacts will dry out pretty fast. I wear the type where you wear them strait for week and and use one set a month.

All doctors will recommend the one a day types because they are more expensive and hoping to sell them to you. I get my lenses online for half of what the doctor charges.

·
Registered
305 Posts
best thing I can tell you to do is, take a spare contact case with saline in it and put it in a pocket somewhere. I keep my last months pair in there too.

Im a pro at keeping old contacts in my eye for a long time, even with my eye being abused by sand/water/mud/snow/flying metal chunks...

but nothing says BOOOOOOOOOOO like losing ONE or UGH BOTH contacts after hour .5 at the mountain. Have a backup, especially if you are blind as shit like me

EVEN IF YOUR CONTACTS NEVER FALL OUT, keep that pair with you. LIke taking an ipod or your wallet - never leave home without it. It ALWAYS happens the ONE time you forget htem, they fall out.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Yep, I've always worn contacts while riding. Only once have I ever had an issue where I was hauling ass and enough wind was coming through my goggles that it blew the contact out of my lead eye. But, since I was wearing goggles, it was stuck to the inside of the lens, so I just popped it back in. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
best thing I can tell you to do is, take a spare contact case with saline in it and put it in a pocket somewhere. I keep my last months pair in there too.

Im a pro at keeping old contacts in my eye for a long time, even with my eye being abused by sand/water/mud/snow/flying metal chunks...

but nothing says BOOOOOOOOOOO like losing ONE or UGH BOTH contacts after hour .5 at the mountain. Have a backup, especially if you are blind as shit like me

EVEN IF YOUR CONTACTS NEVER FALL OUT, keep that pair with you. LIke taking an ipod or your wallet - never leave home without it. It ALWAYS happens the ONE time you forget htem, they fall out.
Great tip thanks

·
Premium Member
927 Posts

BEST ADVICE SO FAR.:eusa_clap:

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Fuck it just get laser eye surgery instead. I wore contacts for years, had good luck with them for years, was able to sleep with them in, etc. Now after lasik I don't even think about my eyes anymore. Too easy!

And please always wear goggles, lotsa things come out to bite you while you're boarding!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts