Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
They kind of had their problems, but was still a viable product. Seemed to be the number 2 player in this market. I am surprised they couldn't find a niche...

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
They DID have their problems. The microphone issue was a bad one, but their response to it (which was to basically ignore it) was a bigger one. The lack of a viewfinder was a problem, but their response -- creating a bluetooth connection to a smartphone -- was a good one. Or would have been, if the smartphone was able to actually watch the video. My understanding was that all you could see was a snapshot. Not good enough. I moved from the Contour to a Drift based on my experiences with the different cameras.

The biggest thing though, was marketing. GoPro, whatever you may think of the teletubby/lunchbox thingie, are very good at marketing and strategic alliances. Locally, you see GoPro stands in Future Shop, in sports shops, specialty retailers like Boardroom and Comor, etc. Contour is only available from a second-floor mail-order business in North Van (Launch Helmetcams). Not that there's anything wrong with Launch, I've always found them very good to deal with, but you don't get impulse purchases with that kind of sourcing.

IMO, Contour died for the same reason as Borland died a decade ago -- good product technically, but lousy marketing and lousy attention to non-engineering details.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
That is the biggest thing that kills off company after company. You point out a problem and they then ignore it. The consumer sees this so they ignore them.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
People are forgetting one of the biggest issues in the POV market. Recessed lens! Nothing like one pow slash and poof lens is packed in. That shit ruined 2 days of heli riding for my friend up in AK as the only usuable stuff he had was before he slashed a spine.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like they are looking for a buyer so there's a chance they may rise from the dead.

Good point about the recessed lens.

Now if GoPro can do something about the fucking low battery life. Is one day without replacing too much too ask? At least there are solutions I guess (extra batteries and a pack)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
People are forgetting one of the biggest issues in the POV market. Recessed lens! Nothing like one pow slash and poof lens is packed in. That shit ruined 2 days of heli riding for my friend up in AK as the only usuable stuff he had was before he slashed a spine.
that was my biggest reason for not giving contour a 2nd look.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Man that blows...just got a Contour+ for Father's Day. Thought it was awkward that Travis Rice signed with Contour awhile back and then you started seeing him push GoPro through social network...

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Drift closed their eagle headquarters also. We have the same contacts but no office for them and a hold on free gear for a couple months.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I am not surprised that Drift closed their Eagle offices. What a horrible location to run that sort of business and costly. I'm sure they wanted to be in an area where they consider it idea for their cameras, but it doesn't serve them well for awareness. A city would have been a better choice to start.

I really like Drift's product. It just seems they are sort of shooting themselves in the foot with their attempts to gain traction in the States. I do think the camera is doing much better overseas. It doesn't seem like they are in the troubles that Contour has, but maybe I am wrong.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Wow i was lucky then, i sent one back 8 weeks ago for replacement under warranty, and only got it back 3 weeks ago...!!!

It does suck though, as i have 2 x contour+2's, my son has the GPS, and my stepson Sneaky has the Roam...!!!

Although i did purchase a GoPro last week as well... Haha

Might be time to have a clear out of old gear before it becomes common knowledge and get all new gear...!!!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Blows. I liked their product. My +2 never gave me any issues. Took some great training vids doing hoist work from the skid of a 'copter. I never noticed the mic problems people keep mentioning, I always had it turned off anyway. Bought an armband for my iPhone and always had a viewfinder on

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Sucks for the people working for them especially. Got to agree with Donutz here about the marketing

Sorry if this has been posted before, the news article is from January, but this is a pretty interesting read of what might be to come as far as sports/HD cams.

AnandTech | Ambarella Announces A9 Camera SoC - Successor to the A7 in GoPro Hero 3 Black

...lower power consumption for the same workloads and the ability to record 4K30 video as well as 1080p120 or 720p240, double the framerate of the previous generation thanks to higher performance. The A9 is the direct successor to the A7 and enables 4K video capture with enough framerate (30FPS) for playback without judder, the previous generation's 4K 15 FPS capture pretty much limited it to use for recording high resolution timelapses or other similar scenes that would be played back at increased speed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What recessed lens? On my Contour +2 the lens is flush with the body.

This sucks. Much prefer the Contours over the Go Pro's, the form is so much better, the app worked brilliantly, the rotating lense and status checks were better and the always on on the +2 meant no more "is it on?" nonsense. And I've never had any problems with flimsy parts or breaking easy. Only issue I had was when the dive housing failed on a dive and leaked water in, destroying the camera. They shipped out a replacement (only recently too, lucky timing for me).

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Blows. I liked their product. My +2 never gave me any issues. Took some great training vids doing hoist work from the skid of a 'copter. I never noticed the mic problems people keep mentioning, I always had it turned off anyway. Bought an armband for my iPhone and always had a viewfinder on
I have a viewfinder in my Goggles... Hehe

1 - 20 of 43 Posts