Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
"I would think that more recklessness comes from people coming in and drinking at lunch time and then going back out"

...that's probably the first time I've ever completely agreed with a skier

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sounds like some cops just want free lift tickets, er wait, I mean volunteer work. And pot heads totally just smoke on Friday Saturday and Sundays.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Might be one hell of a nasty Scorpion to wipe out with a fully locked and loaded Glock on your hip. (or whatever sidearm the RCMP carry)

·
Registered
947 Posts
First, they are easy to see. Second, they are all big guys, bet they cant even catch me if they tried. And police on hills is just retarded. They are going to cancel it once someone injuries them self or someone steals a gun of a cop.... such a stupid idea.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Might be one hell of a nasty Scorpion to wipe out with a fully locked and loaded Glock on your hip. (or whatever sidearm the RCMP carry)
Don't cops in Canada just carry batons since civilians aren't allowed to be armed?

And if you're worried about being able to smoke just go to WA or CO. Perfectly legal.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kind of wondered if that isn't a safety issue? I've never thought about riding with a loaded gun. I don't really get why they are carrying guns in the first place. Are stoners more violent in Canada? Do they have gangs at resorts there? :dunno:

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Don't cops in Canada just carry batons since civilians aren't allowed to be armed?
Pretty much all cops carry sidearms here. They're left at the station before/after duty though...

I kind of wondered if that isn't a safety issue? I've never thought about riding with a loaded gun. I don't really get why they are carrying guns in the first place. Are stoners more violent in Canada? Do they have gangs at resorts there? :dunno:
A loaded gun is totally safe. As long as you don't have a round in the chamber, you'd have to pull the slide forward and release it to load a round in the chamber, and then without the hammer being cocked it's usually a really tough pull for the first round (around 8 pounds or so). There's more danger of it poking a hole in their thigh than actually firing.

That said, I think kids/people have just taken things a little too far. Back when I still enjoyed the sweet leaf on a regular basis, we'd go to a remote part of the hill, duck into the trees, have a quick smoke (a SMALL one) and then head back out riding. Now guys are smoking all over the place. Unfortunately I think it's the idiots that ruin it for the rest of the smokers.

I know Nakiska and Lake Louise quite well, and it'd still be VERY easy to ride and smoke... Just gotta use your head!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
A loaded gun is totally safe. As long as you don't have a round in the chamber, you'd have to pull the slide forward and release it to load a round in the chamber, and then without the hammer being cocked it's usually a really tough pull for the first round (around 8 pounds or so). There's more danger of it poking a hole in their thigh than actually firing.
I was under the impression that cops kept their sidearms locked and loaded, meaning they are ready to draw and fire with activating the action. I've read that cops in training have shooting accidents more often than you realize with specific types of sidearms, notably Glocks that really don't have much in the way of safety mechanisms. Accidental discharges with some of these semi-auto handguns are not as uncommon as you think and it's entirely possible to have one happen during a snowboard accident, assuming they are fully locked and loaded that is.

Like I said, that could be one hell of a wipeout.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I was under the impression that cops kept their sidearms locked and loaded, meaning they are ready to draw and fire with activating the action. I've read that cops in training have shooting accidents more often than you realize with specific types of sidearms, notably Glocks that really don't have much in the way of safety mechanisms. Accidental discharges with some of these semi-auto handguns are not as uncommon as you think and it's entirely possible to have one happen during a snowboard accident, assuming they are fully locked and loaded that is.

Like I said, that could be one hell of a wipeout.
In the U.S. anyone carrying a gun for defense (Police, security, armed civilians, etc) keeps a round chambered at all times. Canada may be different though, I'm not familiar with their practices. This is because deploying a gun in a self defense situation is extremely stressful. Adding additional steps, such as cycling the slide to load a round into the chamber prior to firing could cause you to fumble, which could inevitably lead to your demise. So for the saftey of the person carrying the firearm, a round is always chambered.

Having a round in the chamber is no more dangerous than having the chamber empty. All modern handguns come equipped with a firing pin block. In short, it is mechanically impossible for a modern handgun to fire, unless the trigger is pulled. You could drop it on concrete, hit it with a hammer, run it over with a car, etc. It will not fire. It is mechanically impossible, because the firing pin is blocked from contacting the primer unless the trigger is pulled. Any quality holster will have the trigger gaurd of the handgun completely covered. This ensure while the firearm is in the holster, the trigger cannot be pulled. And if the trigger cannot be pulled, the firearm cannot fire.

The situations you describe above are not "accidental discharges", they are negligent discharges. As in the person used poor trigger disipline and pulled the trigger unintentionally. With modern firearms, there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, because they cannot fire unless the trigger is pulled.

All that being said, unless these guns fly out of their holsters during a crash, there is no way they could go off.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yeah, my assumption would be that they had enough sense to not have a round in the chamber while skiing/boarding. I think their risk of encountering an armed assailant is slim to none!!! :laugh: Personally I'd rather they didn't have this presence. I though most ski resorts were private property, and the property owners have ski patrollers to watch this kind of thing.

To me if you're a dumbass and smoke where you're going to get caught, they clip your lift ticket for the day. But if you're caught by the cops it's a lot worse!

What is the penalty if u get caught with weed in Alberta anyway? A small fine?
Well in Canada drugs are a federal issue, so the penalty is the same no matter what province you're in (I'm pretty sure). I believe it's still a criminal offence to have any marijuana on you?!? I thought the enforcement was relaxing until this started in the last couple weeks.

I'm wondering what event or person prompted this?!?

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm well aware what it takes for a firearm to go off, I was thinking more along the lines of an impact right on the hip. Or if the gun were to fly outta the holster, get buried in the snow, picked up by some kid... that kind of thing. Still don't get why they need em in the first place. So if they catch someone smoking, and cant catch up to them are they going to shoot? I'm pro gun, but I see ZERO reason to carry one on the slopes. :dunno:

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
And there you have it folks... No need to risk police action when you can just whip out a nice brownie "snack" on the gondola. Nobody will be the wiser! The little kid with his parents on the gondola will just wish he had one too!

I'm pro gun, but I see ZERO reason to carry one on the slopes. :dunno:
Agree 100%.

·
Registered
297 Posts
So how good are these cops at snowboarding anyway? Most of the spots that I smoke at are very difficult to get to. And if you don't know the mountain really well, you wouldn't be back there anyways. I keep that shit on the dl because I have kids and I respect that kids are there. And weed is legal here. Just saying that people should just have some respect for others that are around.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just hope this doesn't become a trend or get completely blown out of proportion. I can almost see it now, first it'll be busting people for weed, then comes the tickets for riding while drunk, then the speeding tickets for blazin through the slow zones ect ect... :dizzy:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts