Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So next year will be my first time snowboarding, I’m starting to look at getting my gear (board specifically) so I can get in the practice indoor slope as soon as possible to get as much practice as I can before I go...

to be honest I’ve found the whole thing completely overwhelming, so many choices for so many different styles of riding..

The guys I’m going with have been a couple of times before, some of them are more into park and some more into all mountain..

I think I’d enjoy both but maybe leaning more towards park?

basically what I need advice in is whether the boards I’ve “shortlisted” are any good for me.

I’m 5 foot 11, size 10/10.5.... I currently weigh around 220 lbs.. so a bit on the heavy side, however I have been losing weight, and hope to be at least around 200-210 by the time we go (March 2021)

Sooooo.... I absolutely love the Capita Scott Stevens Pro 2020 board.. I’ve been so close to buying a 157cm one but unsure how it really performs on all mountain? I’ve read many reviews that it’s a great park board but can’t seem to find anything that says how it fairs elsewhere.. I am just slightly worried that my weight might not be ideal for this board?
another board I really like is the Lib Tech Skunk Ape, now I’ve read this is good for “larger” riders and took that to mean weight also and not just foot size. I’ve heard it’s a good all mountain board but not sure how it would perform in parks?

those two are my favourite board (to look at)

Some others I like... either quite a lot or enough to buy if it was more practical but ideally those two above are my favourite.

Capita Horrorscope 2021
Lib Tech Box Knife
Lib Tech T.Rice Pro
Lib Tech Box Scratcher
Lobster Halldor
YES Jackpot

pretty much in that order

Thank you and I massively appreciate any reply and help, feel free to recommend something else, I may have already checked it out as it’s all I’ve been reading about for days but maybe not who knows haha!

·
496 Posts
To be honest it might be worth hiring some demo boards or borrowing gear from some mates to really get a feel for it and understand what type of riding you really want to do. It’s always nice to have your own gear but you’ll find what you think you like now might be totally different in a few weeks of riding.

Boots are the most important, make sure you know your foot size exactly, measure it as per WiredSports boot fitting thread, if you can’t find it sing out and I’ll link you. But plenty of guys have been riding around in boots too big so get that right first and build a package around that.

Link here Snowboard Boot Size Web Tool - Mondo, Brannock &amp...

If you have a local store you’re thinking of buying from ask them about trialling some demo gear, they’re usually pretty helpful if you’re genuine about buying through them.
Make sure you look at the weight recommendations for any board size you grab, you’re also going to want to keep an eye on waist size if you’re a 10.5, creeping into that area where a wide board might come in handy.

If you’re deadset on buying new gear straight away, check out as many reviews as you can for the different boards which sounds like you may have done, I’d look at the Yes Basic tbh, should be able to pick something up cheap and give you an opportunity to work out what you really want at a low budget option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, that boot sizing tool is really helpful I’ll definitely use it later and see what I come up with.

Unfortunately I live in the absolute back end of nowhere in the UK and there is no snowboarding shops anywhere around, even the practice slopes are a good couple of hours drive away, so it’s more likely I’ll be ordering a lot of stuff online.

I’ve based what I believe my preferences on how I’d like to ride on the videos I’ve watched, things I think look the most fun haha, I know it’s not ideal at all though and like you say I could easily change my mind.

I am pretty dead set on buying my own gear as this is going to be a yearly thing now, plus I can’t deny I’m a bit of a “all the gear, no idea” kind of guy haha!!

I’ll keep in mind the weight ratings on the board, it was something I never even thought of till I joined this forum. It saddens me a bit because that Scott Stevens board is so nice but I know even at the 157cm I’d have to drop a fair bit of weight.

How would you rate the skunk ape though?

I’ll check that YES basic out when I wake up I’ve not heard of that one before. (Just finished night shift)

thanks again for your help, it’s much appreciated!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are looking at going to indoor to practice, the shops there usually let you demo boards and bindings for free so long as you give them a week or so heads up. If you like what you ride they'll knock the pass cost off the price as well most of the time.

·
496 Posts
I've only ridden the Horrorscope on your list, it's a decent entry board but with a more freestyle/park focus. I think you will find it'll limit your ability to advance your riding outside of the park. Sure it's fun and great for runs through the park, playing around and small side hits but if you're only looking at a one board quiver there are better options. If you've got the coin and want to ride one of the best recommended all mountain boards you probably want to look at the Capita Mercury, never heard a bad thing about it. Something like the Yes Basic though will probably let you gain confidence quickly and progress where some of the stiffer boards might take a bit to wrangle when learning.

Bataleon boards maybe worth looking at, the Evil Twin is a more freestyle focused deck and popular.

Some others to look at Yes Typo or Jones Mountain twin, these are both popular boards.

Ding something up that's cheaper and look forward to throwing big dollars at something you can appreciate more later down the track would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
466 Posts
1. Like it’s been already pointed out - make sure you get the right boot size. Mind you, these are not your daily sneakers. For reference my Adidas sneakers are 10 US (and could do 10,5 US probably) while I’ve squeezed into 9,5 US Adidas snowboard boots.

2. Considering the current sales, grab something 40 % off. Preferably a rocker camber rocker board.
There are plenty of boards that will fit your needs, I vote for Yes Typo (my buddy owns one) over the Basic. You get a sintered base and the board is really easy to handle if you have your basics while the price difference with the sales is small. From Yes you could also go Yes the Greats.
The Mercury is noticeably more aggressive than these.
I’d also throw in Rossi One LF, it’s a great all mountain board that is easy to handle.
You have dozens of options an sale now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've only ridden the Horrorscope on your list, it's a decent entry board but with a more freestyle/park focus. I think you will find it'll limit your ability to advance your riding outside of the park. Sure it's fun and great for runs through the park, playing around and small side hits but if you're only looking at a one board quiver there are better options. If you've got the coin and want to ride one of the best recommended all mountain boards you probably want to look at the Capita Mercury, never heard a bad thing about it. Something like the Yes Basic though will probably let you gain confidence quickly and progress where some of the stiffer boards might take a bit to wrangle when learning.

Bataleon boards maybe worth looking at, the Evil Twin is a more freestyle focused deck and popular.

Some others to look at Yes Typo or Jones Mountain twin, these are both popular boards.

Ding something up that's cheaper and look forward to throwing big dollars at something you can appreciate more later down the track would be my suggestion.
I'll second the Bataleon suggestion. In my experience as an instructor 3BT can be really useful when learning to link turns and really helps to avoid snagging your edges. Also their whole website is 40% off right now which can never hurt ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you everyone for your comments it’s all much needed and appreciated haha

I’ve took everything yous have all said in, some things I never even thought of was having more than one board, Im pretty comfortable money wise so that’s definitely something I’m considering...

I’m really thinking of the capita Scott Stevens for park shenanigans just because I love that graphic so much...

and I’ve took everything you guys have said in while I’ve been looking for something else and the YES Greats and the Bataleon Evil Twin are two I really like the look of!!

Boots wise when I’ve measured myself using that tool I’m coming in at a size 10 it seems... Unsure which boots as of yet I might go for but I really like the Adidas style ones or vans. I’m pretty easy though I wouldn’t really mind any.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you want this Capita, I’d think about some directional all-mountain/freeridish board as a second board. You don’t need 2 true twins in a 2 board quiver.

·
496 Posts
The problem you'll have with the Scott Stevens is that the suggested weight range max is 130-190 so even if you do hit 200lb you're still just over so it will feel softer and make life dificult around kickers and jumps, $1000 AUD for a graphic on a board that might be a noodle seems a bit of a waste. You could pick up 2 boards for the same price with current deals.

Check out Angry's latest 2 board quivers reviews, there's some great boards listed in there depending on riding styles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Get a Bataleon Boss. At 40% off it’s a steal and great all mountain freestyle board. The 157 and 159 are both wide enough for your foot. You will not be disappointed.
It’s essentially an evil twin with upgrades . I have an evil twin also, can’t go wrong with either but at 40% off id go BOSS. Plus I prefer the 2020 graphic on the boss over evil twin

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would do a season rental board and buy boots. Don't order your first set of boots online. Go to a shop and get sized. Its not unusual for your snowboard boots to be smaller than your street shoes. Plus different manufacturers boots run smaller or larger and have different widths. I can't stress enough the importance of properly sized boots.
I have not road any of the boards on your list. Honestly your first season is going to be a lot learning. You may decide you don't want to ride freestyle and may be more into freeride. It would be a shame to drop money on a board that not your style in the end. I made that $500 mistake when I started.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts