Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell if you're crayoning enough wax? It seems like certain patches are unwaxed, even though i've gone over it multiple times.

Also, is it just me or does oneballjay f1 wax smell like red jello?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
When crayoning wax I like to get a thin even layer over the entire base first, so everything is more or less covered in wax. Then I iron. At this point if it seems like there are some unwaxed spots, I'll recrayon, or drip wax in those areas and iron again.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The nature of crayoning wax on builds high spots and then those high spots are the only contact point between the base and the wax block. It's unavoidable.
Swap your iron for a heat gun and a rag and you will never have to worry about even distribution again.

Crayon the wax, melt a pool with the heat gun and rub it in with the rag. No scrape needed and perfect coverage achieved every time.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Board bases have highs and lows as mentioned. If you crayon and use an iron, you will push wax off the high points into the lows and coverage will be complete. I sometimes drip a little onto those spots that I know are low. Binding suck for example.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
How do you tell if you're crayoning enough wax? It seems like certain patches are unwaxed, even though i've gone over it multiple times.

Also, is it just me or does oneballjay f1 wax smell like red jello?
I'll still get the moist trail looking thing, if theres a non waxed spot I'll first try to drag some hot wax over from farther down the board, or more crayon or a few drips will do it.

·
Registered
Burton Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158
247 Posts
Just trying to understand lingo. I understand the methods.

When we talk crayon are we talking about rubbing wax with no heat across the base or touching wax block to hot iron then rubbing the wax on base? Is there different terms for these methods.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just trying to understand lingo. I understand the methods.

When we talk crayon are we talking about rubbing wax with no heat across the base or touching wax block to hot iron then rubbing the wax on base? Is there different terms for these methods.
Good question; I'm referring to no heat, just friction.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I’m talking iron and smear. Nothing wrong with doing a cold rub first I’d your wax is soft enough, but a cold rub alone doesn’t put down enough wax to iron

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I use Zoom Universal and I crayon cold. I do three crayon passes of the entire board ( now I am using a big, wide 400 gram block, so coverage is huge ) and then hit it with the iron for about 7 minutes. Lays down a beautiful razor thin layer that covers completely and usually scrapes off with one pass of the metal scraper. Quick rub down with the green scrubby and good to go.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'll touch the wax to the iron and crayon from there. Doing it cold just feels like an exercise in futility. You're already using way less wax doing it this way vs dripping it on.

I guess it's different if you have a rotobrush or something.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll touch the wax to the iron and crayon from there. Doing it cold just feels like an exercise in futility. You're already using way less wax doing it this way vs dripping it on.

I guess it's different if you have a rotobrush or something.
I might try this. How much do you melt before crayoning?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I might try this. How much do you melt before crayoning?
You literally just touch the iron. enough melts from the touch then you rub then you touch again as the smear stops. I usually rub on a layer totally cold. then touch to iron and smear along edges and contacts points mostly then center.. then use iron to spread it... as i touch to smear a few drips fall every now and then i try to position the iron strategically to drip in spots i want.

I might be doing something wrong but essentially all three methods at once for me using iron to spread in the end.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I do the same re catching drips on the board. I don't do a cold rubdown since that seems like a waste of time to me but might give it a go next time I wax to try to prove myself wrong. No harm trying.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I do the same re catching drips on the board. I don't do a cold rubdown since that seems like a waste of time to me but might give it a go next time I wax to try to prove myself wrong. No harm trying.
It probably does little difference with the cold rub down first. but its more of a mental thing for me knowing im not touching the hot iron surface to bare base. which really isnt that big of a deal anyway when its a split second. It just keeps me feeling better about it. Also makes me not be as anal about coverage of the touch and smear method that follows.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've been doing cold rub downs followed up with a rotobrushing. The touch and smear method puts down way too much wax for the rotobrush to quickly work into the base. I think the block of wax I'm using may last me the rest of my life.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been doing cold rub downs followed up with a rotobrushing. The touch and smear method puts down way too much wax for the rotobrush to quickly work into the base. I think the block of wax I'm using may last me the rest of my life.
Curious about this... are you roto-corking or roto-brushing it in? Doesn't brushing clear it out rather than work it in?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts