Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ladies, first time in here glad i found out about this wonderful forum and i hope you can help me out

I im at an intermediate level however i never went too much in depth with all the shapes.. finding myself in the need of switching board due to issues with my old one and foot size..
I come from a classic camber but that was an i was smaller and younger... therefore i'm not really used to it and want to find the perfect fit to go for
I was considering getting either the burton Custom flying V or full camber version
because of my stats i was leaning towards the 162W in both versions
101kg (222lbs) 191cm (6'25'') and 46eu boot size (13 us)
Considering my stats i was uncertain if the full camber would be an issue because of it being too big in terms of freeriding/park/ all arounder
The flying V sounded since because im thinking of it being the solid option due to the size of the board already and that shape might help out

·
Registered
86 Posts
Depends on what you want to do. A rocker style board is a lot different than camber. It's less "catchy", which is a nice way of saying it doesn't hold an edge very well. The Flying V is more of a custom shape, so it won't be as bad. But I have a Hot Knife and that super ugly and cheap Rome Artifact Rocker, which is an extreme noodle and rocker. It doesn't hold an edge and is scary to go fast. But it butters like crazy and is really lax to ride on.

When people say rocker boars are mellow, they mean they don't catch edges easily, are very forgiving, and aren't very responsive. Hot Knife and Artifact Rocker are complete opposite ends of the spectrum, so I'm giving you extreme cases. But if you want to be charging and riding fast and hard on a rocker you will end up on your ass a lot as the back washes out when you go to throw it around. Once I get above 20mph on my GPS, the Artifact Rocker gets really unstable and worrying, and I charge on my Hot Knife in the 30s (that's all I can do in my size hill) all day long. The Flying V won't be nearly as extreme as the Artifact, but it'll be closer to that than the camber you're used to riding.

My experience on boards is pretty varied but limited. I rode a Burton Deep Thinker a while ago, it's a good middle ground between a hardcore camber and something more relaxed, but it still holds an edge will and was very enjoyable to ride without having to get aggressive like I do on my Hot Knife.

I wear size 11.5 boot, weigh about 215 pounds, and am 5'8" and rode the 160w. It was still playful and a little aggressive but more forgiving. It was wide enough where I didn't even come close to booting out on some hard pack groomers.

You probably want something with a hybrid camber shape. Flying V is more of a hybrid rocker.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Get the camber. It will help you progress much faster and you won't ever outgrow it.

Flying V pretty crappy unless you're always riding in perfect snow conditions. Even then there are better boards.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Only gonna be an issue if you have a narrow or low angle stance and carve very hard. Otherwise you should be okay.

You should measure your feet to make sure you have the right boot size. Sizing a board based on your barefoot measurement is a good idea.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have us12 boots and I discounted all Burton boards on the basis that they're not wide enough. You might be different and I am a picky git but I'd be looking for a waist width at least 27 with those feet. Custom just isn't wide enough if you ask me, in fact most boards will cause boot out with size 13s. Rome national is 270 wide and a similar board, I'd be looking at that.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm your size and used to ride in 13, but now I rock 11.5 boots. I got significant comfort and performance gains and many more boards worked for me. Measure your feet in mm to get your mondo size. Using this will help you choose boards and bindings besides just boots.

Also, I'd be looking for a wider board as well. Profiles can be confusing- from grippy to loose there's camber, s-camber, RCR, flat to rocker, CRC, s-rocker, and rocker. Camber and flying V are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't think flying V is very versatile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm your size and used to ride in 13, but now I rock 11.5 boots. I got significant comfort and performance gains and many more boards worked for me. Measure your feet in mm to get your mondo size. Using this will help you choose boards and bindings besides just boots.

Also, I'd be looking for a wider board as well. Profiles can be confusing- from grippy to loose there's camber, s-camber, RCR, flat to rocker, CRC, s-rocker, and rocker. Camber and flying V are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't think flying V is very versatile.
my feet are roughly around 28.8 towards 29 on normal shoes size would vary much depending on brand

ue if you have a narrow or low angle stanc
not a narrow stance due to my height 6'25''

·
Registered
186 Posts
my feet are roughly around 28.8 towards 29 on normal shoes size would vary much depending on brand

not a narrow stance due to my height 6'25''
Jeez buddy hate to say this but you're wearing slippers not snowboard boots! You're full mondo smaller than me and I am wearing US12, why are you in 13s!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yep...., you are probably in too big of boots and Wired' will be in here shortly to sort you out with his expertise. I'm 30.9 mondo and in US13. I'm just under your weight and 210lbs/191cm (kitted up). For Australia's fantastic piste conditions??? I ride 166W CX and Custom (266WW) and absolutely love this size board for stability and high speed carve ability. I'm not really that into park and really ride like a freeride surfy charger. With our size and power you'll never have any problems punching this size board around the mountain. I wouldn't ride anything under this unless its starts getting a lot more directional.

Remember....., a BIG guy needs a BIG board.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would agree with other dudes
1) Get as small boots as possible, this will allow you to ride a lot more boards
2) Get the board suitable for your boot size, weight and skill, Custom 162W+ looks good, if you want to carve deeper take a look at Nitro Team (camber) 162W-165W, they have 27+ waist

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep...., you are probably in too big of boots and Wired' will be in here shortly to sort you out with his expertise. I'm 30.9 mondo and in US13. I'm just under your weight and 210lbs/191cm (kitted up). For Australia's fantastic piste conditions??? I ride 166W CX and Custom (266WW) and absolutely love this size board for stability and high speed carve ability. I'm not really that into park and really ride like a freeride surfy charger. With our size and power you'll never have any problems punching this size board around the mountain. I wouldn't ride anything under this unless its starts getting a lot more directional.

Remember....., a BIG guy needs a BIG board.
I wanted to get into some park as well, thats why im hesitant about getting the biggest one..

I just measured my feet again and they are about 28.6 heel to toe.. and trying out the burton moto 13us as we speak.. toe almost touching the front

·
Registered
620 Posts
13's are way too big. 28.5 is a US size 10.5! Measure the width of your feet as well. You should have both toes and heels touching the liner firmly in a properly fit boot. Boots transfer your force to the board, and they do that very poorly when too large. Also, your foot slides around and actually hurts your toes more in a big boot. @Wiredsport can help, maybe go to the boot fitting section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts