Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e been riding a freethinker which I like allot, twin profile but want an upgrade. Debating custom or custom x. Would you say the custom is a better all-around board?? If you had to pick which would it be and why?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, the top sheet is fine, the bottom is mac and cheese.. Its like they couldnt figure out what to put on the base..

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Man and cheese is yummy.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Man and cheese is yummy.
Mancheese?

I guess vinylwrapping the base is still an option:)

What I meant about the free thinker being an in between custom, is that you should have a good idea if you want a softer or stiffer board. For allround, softer would be easier to use on jibs, smaller jumps and ice, but theres still no noserocker, so not a do it all board by todays standards.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Custom X is violent. Maybe too much, It's amazing to ride but scary at the same time. It's not a board I would ride all day long, and it ain't made for everyone, you gotta to know what you're doing when riding it.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL Why scary? I've been riding customs for 5 years, I doubt the X is that much different. I agree it has its place, In my Quiver!!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
LOL Why scary? I've been riding customs for 5 years, I doubt the X is that much different. I agree it has its place, In my Quiver!!
There is a lot of hyperbole surrounding the custom X. I have no idea why. It's a stiff traditional camber board, so if you're into that it will be fine. If you're not then it's not different than any other traditional camber stiff board other than the quite excellent tech in it that way makes it light and not a plank.

But for some reason the custom x seems to be at the center of a snowboarder metoo movement where everyone who's ever caught an edge talks about the custom x as being a horrible terrifying board that rapes young boys if you aren't riding it like Red Gerard.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is a lot of hyperbole surrounding the custom X. I have no idea why. It's a stiff traditional camber board, so if you're into that it will be fine. If you're not then it's not different than any other traditional camber stiff board other than the quite excellent tech in it that way makes it light and not a plank.

But for some reason the custom x seems to be at the center of a snowboarder metoo movement where everyone who's ever caught an edge talks about the custom x as being a horrible terrifying board that rapes young boys if you aren't riding it like Red Gerard.
Especially when Burton started to soften X a little by little since 3 years ago. It's a ride or die deck only for incompetent riders.

·
Registered
413 Posts
There's a custom x for sale near me in SoCal, just met the guy to buy a set of bindings from him. If anyone's lookin pm me and I'll try and bring ya'll together. He wasn't sure what it was worth, but he said he's priced lower than everyone else on Offer Up.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've only ridden one Custom X, I think it was a 2017 or 2018. I took a hand full of runs on it at a demo. There was nothing "scary" or "violent" about it. I would say maybe words like powerful and precise might be better descriptors. If someone prefers a more casual laid back ride versus a more aggressive ride perhaps the Custom X isn't the ideal choice but I think any competent intermediate rider should be able to ride it provided that it is sized appropriately for them.

·
Registered
973 Posts
This whole thing about the custom x is just silly. It’s a board that rides like boards used to ride. When I was like 14 I would take my buddies custom x and honestly it just felt like a snowboard.

·
Registered
413 Posts
X? Must be like extreme Zander from Triple X. So extreme brah good luck riding it, it’s so gnar. Keep up or die.

Seriously though, when did all these easy to learn on designs really grab hold of the market? Maybe those who are scared of the X don’t know what the norm was in the 80’s and 90’s ... says the guy you was always sick of hearing it from crusty old dudes, now maybe that’s me

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've only ridden one Custom X, I think it was a 2017 or 2018. I took a hand full of runs on it at a demo. There was nothing "scary" or "violent" about it. I would say maybe words like powerful and precise might be better descriptors. If someone prefers a more casual laid back ride versus a more aggressive ride perhaps the Custom X isn't the ideal choice but I think any competent intermediate rider should be able to ride it provided that it is sized appropriately for them.
I agree, it is precise and powerful. It can pop insane, light and agile. But you got to push it to see how great it is. It's gonna give it to you no matter how hard you ask from it and the more you do the more you can see how much awesome it is. I can't denied it, I was amazed.

But there is this fact, can you push it a whole day long? Trying to do the same agressive riding from the beginning of the day at the end of the day? That board left me of impression that you can't and have to be careful with it. A second board is a must IMO.

I founded the Custom X "boring" when you wanted just to go down the slope smoothly...it hate it and you can feel it. It so rewarding when you use it aggressively that you just can't let go that feeling when you're on it.

Just wanted to clarify my feeling about it from upper post I made.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts