Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I wouldn't buy it. Theoretically it works better than foam but I don't think that it is better than CE approved hard shells. If the material is that good, why don't they prove it with motorcycle indursty standard EN tests? (which requires a maximum 9kN energy transmission on a standard crash) (I know I'm not giving specific test names and etc. but just google it)

And this simple funny test says they aren't better :cool:
d3o advanced motorcycle armour - trauma test

·
Registered
88 Posts
d30 is quite nice, absorbs impact really good and it flex's with your movements.For snowboarding I would say they provide ample protection.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a lot
I am not completely totally sold on this new technology, I remember watching a video where it showed not a clear victory over traditionally shells

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but is the area they cover big or little? I am scared that if the area isn't big enough, after snowboarding few hours shorts will move, and protection will go off most important area

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have not tried d30 impact short's, just knee and elbow pads. To be honest you don't need serious motorcycle armor while snowboarding, that will constrict your'e movement too much.Just get something that's not to bulky.

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
The purpose of the D3O isnt to be the best protection. It is supposed to be the best protection that doesnt hamper your freedom of movement. For that purpose it works pretty well
Exactly. If you don't like wearing helmets, they have beanies with d3o in them. It offers some protection, and some freedom. I personally prefer a helmet though.

Long term, after more testing future iterations of the product it might eventually compete though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm a bit of a tech nut, and D3o fascinates me to no end, so I've ended up using or at least looking very closely at most of the snow d3o stuff on the market. It absorbs impact like a champ (the thin kneeguards that come with the sessions bottoms allow me to drop straight down onto my knees on a hardwood floor with absolutely zero pain) and has little to no movement restriction depending on the design of whatever it is you're using. Both my wife and I always wear pretty much a full suit of d3o every time we go out, and I've put it through its paces in terms of impact, it has yet to disappoint.

Are there any specific questions you have? Recommendations for gear?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got the burton impact shorts and they were pretty much useless as far as tailbone protection goes. Last season I bought some skeletools shorts and took out all the pads besides the tailbone protector and they work great.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Burton has two versions of their shorts, the Impact shorts, and the Total Impact shorts. As you've noticed, the Impact shorts are not designed very well. The Total Impact shorts have way, way beefier protection. I couldn't find any pictures of the rear of either version of the shorts... so here's a quick shot of the ass side of my Total Impact shorts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So you're pretty limited in choice for d3o tailbone protection. In my opinion the RED total impact shorts provide the best protection, but are naturally the bulkiest out of the d3o shorts. The sessions bottoms also have a tiny bit of tailbone protection, but it's really small coverage.

I think what you'll find is that the d3o stuff is lower profile, and less "cushioned" than traditional foam padding. The dainese shorts you're looking at have a hard shell with soft foam underneath it, which will make it a bit thicker, but will be more comfortable when you take a shot in the ass. When you take a hard impact with d3o, the impact feels "heavy," even though it's been fully mitigated, because they're not usually backed with really soft foam that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts