Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got this Dakine stomp pad DAKINE Spike Stomp Pad at REI.com , it says you can cut it and manipulate it to your liking... since it's in 5 rows/columns, i was thinking to cut 3 peices.. have two rows up top, one in the middle, and 2 for the heel? does anyone have this stomp? or have any recs? i want all areas of my foot to be supported..

cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i purchased this thing... cut it in a few strips so all parts of my boot would be supported.. and this thing is legit! super grippy, no slip.. no fall getting off the lift!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the big spike Dakine pad and it holds onto my boot really well, even when my board is covered with snow.

Another friend got the modular Dakine pad and said it's like nothing is there if there's even a bit of snow on it. He has buyer's remorse and wishes he'd gone with the big spikes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
if your gunna do a stomppad the spike ones are the only ones worth it.

However, stomppads are completely useless. I was told by a coworker this season that stompads are unnecessary, and I responded yea well I like my foot staying in place. He said "yea me too, but its straight physics. exert pressure through the board and the concave of the topsheet will hold you foot on."

after getting used to it, Ill never buy another stompad.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I use the Dakine Pyramid Studs. They are large like the rubber spikes, so they wont become useless when a bit of snow gets on them. I like them better because they dont shout out "HEY LOOK AT MEEE IM A STOMPPP PADDD!!" They come in black, white, or chrome and you can arrange them however you want to keep your setup looking clean and natural. I arranged mine in specific points on the board so that every single contact point of my boot is supported by a spike. They look like more of a decoration than a functional stomp pad... they remind me of those square studs kids used to put on their backpacks at school.

·
Registered
922 Posts
honestly, ive found the best stomp pads to be the metal studs that burton, volcom, dakine etc sell... make a triangle out of them angling inward toward your back binding..its better than any stomp pad ive used and looks way way wayyyy better

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,135 Posts
if your gunna do a stomppad the spike ones are the only ones worth it.

However, stomppads are completely useless. I was told by a coworker this season that stompads are unnecessary, and I responded yea well I like my foot staying in place. He said "yea me too, but its straight physics. exert pressure through the board and the concave of the topsheet will hold you foot on."

after getting used to it, Ill never buy another stompad.
Could you elaborate a bit on this?

I'd be happy to get rid of stomp pads, but if I have to exert pressure on my board to keep my boot from slipping off - well, I'm too lazy for that if I'm skating any distance.

Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?:dunno:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Could you elaborate a bit on this?

I'd be happy to get rid of stomp pads, but if I have to exert pressure on my board to keep my boot from slipping off - well, I'm too lazy for that if I'm skating any distance.

Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?:dunno:
He means your back foot can stay in place simply by pushing down on it more, which is true. But like this, the sole of the boot could still slide out fairly easily
What a stomp pad does is stops your back foot from sliding across the board. My Dakine Modular pad is pretty slick like I said, but the spikes dig into the sole of my boot and keep it in place, which is nice and makes it a lot easier to skate farther on snow.

This is my stop pad. The EVA foam section in the middle isn't part of it; I just added that for extra friction. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
The spikes on the smaller modular Dakine pads dont hold up well. At least mine didnt. Lasted a day and they were all flat. Use the big fat rubber spikes. Far better. Mine is charcoal in color and not a huge distraction on my board in my opinion. I found it unnecessary to cut up all over the board. grips great as it is. Ill put pics up in a minute.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The spikes on the smaller modular Dakine pads dont hold up well. At least mine didnt. Lasted a day and they were all flat. Use the big fat rubber spikes. Far better. Mine is charcoal in color and not a huge distraction on my board in my opinion. I found it unnecessary to cut up all over the board. grips great as it is. Ill put pics up in a minute.
How much grip to you actually need? I like the dakine modular because its super thin. I actually trim the points off of it with a nail clipper. Foot doesn't feel elevated like its on a platform and I can manipulated edge pressure much better. Honestly though I stopped using them on the last few boards because it was mostly there for psychological purposes. Once you get used to a board without one it all feels the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In order...before, dakine modular, dakine rubber spike.

Sorry...phone shots not intended to grab just the stomp pads, but you get the idea. Plenty of grip without cutting up and spreading out.
was it difficult to get the old stomp pad off?

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,135 Posts
was it difficult to get the old stomp pad off?
If you've ever seen a product called "Goo Gone" in a hardware store, it's the best for removing stomp pads. Let it soak in overnight and the next day the stomp pad should come off easily and cleanly.

It's worked for me every time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts