Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well maybe I'm crying over spilt milk, because the pics make it look really tame. But there's about a 10 cm x 2 cm section of board edge that has rotated upwards ever so slightly.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm, that is not how I normally adjust my side/base bevel...
Lol, so I've decided I REALLY need to start building my own boards!!! I only really need one core shape, since I'll build all the boards around a 160 cm BX style core. RCR camber pattern. I'll build them for myself and if anybody wants to buy my crazy contraptions they can go for it! lol :yahoo:

I'm thinking I should do nothing to the virus, and just continue to ride it. Chances are as long as I don't land on another rock, it'll be fine like this. Although the heelside carving may suffer a wee bit! :giggle:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Bummer but not the end of the world.
It looks like a heel side skidded turn has hit something just behind the edge tines (obvious by the base damage) which has pushed the edge out and possibly up aswell, cant make it out in the pics.
I would straight edge it and mark it with a marker to see how much material will be lost if you file it back to straight, if its half or less file it back.

On another note is there a thread on these boards somewhere? I would like to hear your impressions.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer but not the end of the world.
It looks like a heel side skidded turn has hit something just behind the edge tines (obvious by the base damage) which has pushed the edge out and possibly up aswell, cant make it out in the pics.
I would straight edge it and mark it with a marker to see how much material will be lost if you file it back to straight, if its half or less file it back.

On another note is there a thread on these boards somewhere? I would like to hear your impressions.
Yeah as I look at the base, and the pics it doesn't look as bad as I originally though. I think I'm just bummed that after 20 days on it I've beat it hard enough to break SOMETHING.

Here's be review thread, with a link to the initial thoughts: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboard-reviews/71802-review-2013-virus-avalanche-flp-aft.html

In short, the board is fantastic. It looks weird, clumsy, etc. but it floats in powder quite well, yet rails a carve HARD, truly the best board I've ever owned by far. That's why I'm so sad about the damage!

I think there are two things that really make this board what it is...

1) The BX shape gives you tons of effective edge. Over 140 cm on a 160 cm board. This means not only on groomers but in the powder that nose is big and wide.

2) The relaxed camber profile (it's got about 1/3rd the camber of my Burton T7) with the lifted nose makes it really fun in powder. I had it out in a DEEP day about a month ago, and going from a Burton Custom 156 to this board in a 160 was like night and day. Not even in the same realm. The Virus was fun, while the Custom was a lot of work to ride.

Shit... Now I've convinced myself I need to order another Virus... :blowup:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It's not the cost of buying an expensive board, it's the fact that you need to be prepared to replace it because you busted it or got it stolen etc. unfortunately for aggressive riders snowboards are like gas, you buy em you use them up, you buy more.

It's either that or stay on the trails. Look at it this way, you've now got the hottest rock board around. :)

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
It's not the cost of buying an expensive board, it's the fact that you need to be prepared to replace it because you busted it or got it stolen etc. unfortunately for aggressive riders snowboards are like gas, you buy em you use them up, you buy more.

It's either that or stay on the trails. Look at it this way, you've now got the hottest rock board around. :)
Real logic and truth here. Don't feel bad I shark finned a brand new swallowtail yesterday 5 minutes after getting off the lift. Board now has a 2 inch section of sidewall and base mangled and I'm pretty sure I was the first person to ride it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you're anal, you could take care of the top sheet, so it doesn't snag on anything and peel. Hard to tell from the pic if this is a possibility.

That and if you fixed it with a black color that blends in, you wouldn't feel as bad when you looked down on it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
yea man dont feel bad, ive beaten my evo into the ground and i love it to death. has a deep shot right next to the edge right under my bindings, some really gnarled gouges and i put another little shot into it on a rock on wednesday. it still rides like a beast but i know its days are numbered. its going to make a beautiful wall decoration one day

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the last few posts... I do have 20 solid days on this board, and it's seen more abuse than I ever thought it would handle. If you divide it out it's still only $60 a day or so, and it should have a lot of life left in it.

Time to suck it up and order another! lol :eusa_clap:

·
Registered
393 Posts
...and it should have a lot of life left in it.

Time to suck it up and order another! lol :eusa_clap:
Fortunately for you, the bamfb2 household is currently accepting donations. Let me know when you get a new one, and I will PM you the address. Don't worry, will pay for shipping. It's for a good cause.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You paid $1200 for that board??? :icon_scratch:
Yeah, about $1250 actually... And it was one of the cheaper options I was looking at for the group buy. :blink:

Fortunately for you, the bamfb2 household is currently accepting donations. Let me know when you get a new one, and I will PM you the address. Don't worry, will pay for shipping. It's for a good cause.
You know the funny thing is I have never got rid of a board. I still have ALL of them! Should probably mount them on the wall one of these days. Bronzed or something!

·
Registered
786 Posts
That sucks. I haven't damaged any of the rental demos yet, but as soon as I get my own I bet then I'll start breaking stuff!

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sucks. I haven't damaged any of the rental demos yet, but as soon as I get my own I bet then I'll start breaking stuff!
I only break things at Lake Louise. I've chewed through a couple boards there this year apparently! None of the other hills I go to seem to inflict even half as much damage. Well they don't call them the rocky mountains because they're all snow covered meadows... :dizzy:

·
Registered
756 Posts
I seem to trash my boards pretty quicky (Then again.. I don't pay 1200 bucks for them! :giggle:)
My Evo is completely thrashed, but it'll work another year.
I broke my Supermodel last year too.. got a newer one cheap though!

Edit.
Damnit, this thread is old dude!
haha.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where at lake louise are these cliffs? On the south mountain?
The rocks I broke it on were Eagle ridge 7. Back side between paradise chair and top of the world... It's a fun run but there are better runs there!

I seem to trash my boards pretty quicky (Then again.. I don't pay 1200 bucks for them! :giggle:)
My Evo is completely thrashed, but it'll work another year.
I broke my Supermodel last year too.. got a newer one cheap though!

Edit.
Damnit, this thread is old dude!
haha.
Yup yup thread from the dead! I'm still going to ride the shit out of this board this year. I'm willing to bet it will last a few years yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts