Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to boarding and just starting freestyle. A few days ago someone asked my had I tipped and tailed my board ? Basically taking the sharp edge off- I'd never heard of this and have not done it- my question is how will the characteristics change when riding if detuned- will it help butters? And will it slow my braking or turning ? Any advice would be great- cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your tip and tail never make contact with the snow when you are turning, so they don't need to be sharp at all. SO, you want to take a file and round the edge off your tip and tail to the point where you reach your contact point-area where your board is the widest. This is where your effective edge(point where your edge becomes used in turns, so a sharp edge is necessary) starts, so you want to NOT file that down.

Basically, everyone can get anyway with taking the edge off their tip and tail because it doesn't affect one's ability to turn, and it helps when pressing the board because the sharp edge won't stick.

If you want to detune your effective edge that is a another thing.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
detuning a board will help a lot when doing rails and boxes since the dulled out edges will not catch while sliding.. Some park boards already come factory detuned for that reason.

and some boards also come with a higher base angle edge. thats the angle of your edge measured from the base of your board. the avg board usually has an 89 or 90 degree edge. And some park boards might have a 92 degrees edge...the higher the edge angle...the more dull it is....makes sense?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts