Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Hahaha! Awesome! I need to top out on that peak! Looking good. I talked to Kev and it looks like he's going to be in Steamboat MLK weekend. So at this point I am weighing my options. I've got an invite out to Wolfy to hit up Colorado with me that weekend now. I haven't heard back from the guy. I'm still working on a Oootah trip for this season. It's a short drive or a cheap flight for me. I might have to shoot for Mid Feb and not President's weekend.

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Ben Lomond is in the Wasatch front for sure. I've skinned all the way up to the base of the final ridge lookers left. To get turned around by increasing avalanche conditions (snowing more than 2" an hour), and dropped into the trees below the ridge, lookers left just out of view in the pic. Fantastic run. Second attempt at it was last year. Tom and I woke up a little late, left late, and didn't get to skinning on that peak until around 9 am. Conditions were perfect, but neither one of us was moving fast. We had a flight to catch and shit to pack, so we didn't even make the base of the last climb before we decided we should bail. Which was a good idea as it turned out. There are great turns up there and little to no one else going up there. So the capt is teasing me with a good time! Dammit...

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Ben Lomond Peak is above Ogden btw. You look at it as you drive up to Powder Mountain. A city type park sits below it, with machine groomed cross country trails and such. Kind of a weird dichotomy there for sure.

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Oh and Martin Luther Kind day is Monday January 18th for 2010. I can definitely take a couple of extra days making it a 5 day trip or more if necessary. Just let me know what you are thinking wolfy.

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Not to make you jealous but....I took that photo from my deck!
That's pretty rad. Does that mean you live in Eden or am I looking at Ben Lomond from a different perspective, like North Ogden? If that's the case my description would probably mean I skinned to ridge on lookers right instead...

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Yeah, North fork seems to be the way to approach it. Lot's of good turns to be found in that park. If I lived there, I would be exploring that area all season long. Being that I am an out of stater, I only get to fight a battle or two up there per trip.

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Cross country ski's are tooth picks. I can see that being a nightmare. Splitboard ski's are way more stable and easy to deal with. They are not really anything like cross country ski's. More like over sized snowshoes.

Though I will say, the last time I did the cross country thing (like 25 years ago in California), we were traveling over flat terrain on long kick and glide ski's. You can cover a whole lot of terrain doing that style. Skate skiers look like they just want to torture themselves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts