Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a memo that I am off from December 25th to January 2nd? hmmmm :)

not staying home this year so where to go what would you do? Personally, thinking Vail but it could cost two arms and couple legs???

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts

not staying home this year so where to go what would you do? Personally, thinking Vail but it could cost two arms and couple legs???
At that cost, snowboarding wouldn't be as enjoyable as you might have hoped.:blink:

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have 120 hours of vacation time and need to use 60 at minimum lol

You can plan a vail trip for 600-700 with air fare.

Check expedia mountain packages. Only thing that sucks is the least expensive one leave u in denver which is pretty far from Vail.

Interested in what you choose, because IDK where to go either :dunno:

·
Registered
145 Posts
The vail resorts will be packed at this time. I'm not telling you not to go to them, but understand that long lift lines are going to happen during that part of the year.

I would say visit Vail or wherever you want to go. Then spend some days at Loveland, Beaver Creek, or Copper Mtn. These places are going to be less crowded during Christmas because they are a little out of the way and people tend to spend all their time at Vail, Beck, and Keystone. I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you go but if you don't like crowds, go to the ones I suggested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm hearing the snow may not be great this time of the year?

Is this to our standards (east) or theirs (West) lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm hearing the snow may not be great this time of the year?

Is this to our standards (east) or theirs (West) lol
Its by west standards. I'm sure it'll be better than anything on the ice coast at that point. Though really our season is best by February. That's when things really start to get interesting. Though it really depends on the season.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Might as well throw Wolf Creek in there SK if you are going with those rec's.

CB and Telluride are the only true resorts out of that batch. Steamboat, and Aspen are the other places that are more like Vail in terms of amenities. They do come at a premium.

If you are trying to budget a little. Monarch is pretty reasonable and they get awesome snow. The vert is much shorter than other Colorado areas but they have fun terrain. You could get a hotel in Salida for probably well under $100 a night. It is off season in that town. About 15-20 minutes from the ski area. It is an easy drive.

Durango is another good base. Purgatory is right there, Wolf Creek and Silverton are within a reasonable drive for the day. Not sure on hotels in Durango but it is also fairly off season in that town too. They are a little busier due to the college but there should be more reasonable accommodations there.

As far as this season goes. We are off to a really good start. One of the best I have seen actually. Of course it could dry up, but so far we have been getting moisture on the regular. If this continues into November we have a good shot of having a great base by the time of your trip. As far as great conditions go, well that is a crapshoot. If it doesn't snow during your trip, conditions will be okay at best.

You may also look at Utah. You can get a lot of bang for your buck there. Find a hotel in Sandy or Ogden. Lots of options by both those towns. Lift ticket deals can be found at most shops in the area.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hotels in Durango are sketch.......couple downtown are nice, but costly. For the money.....Durango youth Hostel....super clean. Lady that owns it is really nice. Discounts for group size and number of days.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's a fucking expensive time to go. I just booked a 1 bedroom in Breck for 12/26-12/30 to split with 2 buddies and it's $400/night. Same room is $100/night the following week. Ugh. I'm going to go into a rage if there's shitty snow.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Yea I was including Silverton, WC and whatever else is down there, I wasn't meaning the Durango ski hill specifically.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
That's a fucking expensive time to go. I just booked a 1 bedroom in Breck for 12/26-12/30 to split with 2 buddies and it's $400/night. Same room is $100/night the following week. Ugh. I'm going to go into a rage if there's shitty snow.

Ummm, yeah that is still very early season for just about anywhere. If 80% of the mountain is open, consider it a win.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys really learning lot about the west, considering utah now per killclimbz's suggestion, hotels are sooooo expensive what's up with these people at vail...omg, almost what i pay for a resort for my summer vacations

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
thanks guys really learning lot about the west, considering utah now per killclimbz's suggestion, hotels are sooooo expensive what's up with these people at vail...omg, almost what i pay for a resort for my summer vacations
Destination resorts. People with money are going there. If you can't afford it the next person in line probably can. It sucks, but this is an expensive ass sport. Especially if you are paying for lifts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts