Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if the ones priced at $100+ are any different than $30 pads/shorts, don't want to waste money just because something has a brand like Burton on it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Azzpadz offer excellent tail bone protection if youre doing park. They are bulky though.
i use burton impact shorts and burton knee pads for warmth and comfort on the lift and when sitting. They offer very limited protection but better than nothing.

Dainese and leatt make some gear aimed more at mtb and moto but would work on the snow too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
demon-united.com has d30 stuff and azzpadz. The impact shorts are bulkier in real life than in the pictures on the website just as an fyi.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dainese hard shorts E1. I use them for downhill MTB and rocky trail riding. Light, great mesh ventilation, hardshell/memory foam on the coccyx area, flexible hardshell on the outer thighs & good hip padding. probably cheaper elsewhere than the link.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,672 Posts
More expensive items use D30 or something similar, which is a flexible padding that stiffens on impact. Otherwise you're using foam/plastic padding that's far more bulky. More expensive items will also tend to have things like adjustment straps, while cheaper ones will just be a pull-on design.

These are generalizations, but if you try on a cheap set and an expensive set, you'll notice the difference. Whether you're willing to pay for that difference, well, that's up to you. How attached are you to your knees? 😁

(Seriously, if you've ever been subjected to a single knee-strike, you'll never complain about cost of knee pads again)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah Demon even has full length pants to cover knees. Wish those had stronger knee protection, but I can go with the shorts. Shame they don't have this product at any retailer outside of their own side.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,672 Posts
I once saw a guy doing a boadslide on a rail on Seymour. His board slipped out and he sat down hard on the rail, right on his tailbone. They had to cart him away. This leads me to 2 conclusions:

1. Ima spend as much as necessary to get the best protective equipment.
2. Never, never, never gonna do a boardslide on a rail. Not for any money.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More expensive items use D30 or something similar, which is a flexible padding that stiffens on impact. Otherwise you're using foam/plastic padding that's far more bulky. More expensive items will also tend to have things like adjustment straps, while cheaper ones will just be a pull-on design.

These are generalizations, but if you try on a cheap set and an expensive set, you'll notice the difference. Whether you're willing to pay for that difference, well, that's up to you. How attached are you to your knees? 😁

(Seriously, if you've ever been subjected to a single knee-strike, you'll never complain about cost of knee pads again)
I was in a deep toeside carve on the icecoast and my back knee tapped the ice for a second and holy hell it left me down for a hot minute. Been bruised for a while and still a tiny bit weak after a week and a half. So definitely going all out on protection from now on.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I was in a deep toeside carve on the icecoast and my back knee tapped the ice for a second and holy hell it left me down for a hot minute. Been bruised for a while and still a tiny bit weak after a week and a half. So definitely going all out on protection from now on.
That's happened to me before on somewhat soft snow, and it wasn't fun at all. Hitting ice is next level. Going ++ seemed to reduce that risk a great deal. Now my back knee is tucked in a good deal more. Pads would give further peace of mind no doubt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's happened to me before on somewhat soft snow, and it wasn't fun at all. Hitting ice is next level. Going ++ seemed to reduce that risk a great deal. Now my back knee is tucked in a good deal more. Pads would give further peace of mind no doubt.
I need my 🦆 stance, pads for me lol

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I've been wearing Burton impact shorts for years. One pair has lasted quite a few seasons, and I always have them on. I like them because they're comfortable enough to wear all the time even driving. I don't fall a whole lot anymore but I have landed on my tailbone a few times and came away with a bruise instead of a break. Still hurt, but only for a day or two.

I have broken my tail bone after landing on ice, and had to sit on donut shaped pillows for three weeks. It can be a season ender for sure.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Man, that happened to me too! I broke my tailbone closing day at Vail one year. Very unlucky. I popped off a roller full send into an icy mogul field. I was happy it was closing day, but it really ate into my biking season.

Any injury is bad news. You lay yourself open to injury every time you ride. I've been opposed to it, but maybe some padding would be a good idea. I wear armor when mountain biking. Getting some for snowboarding seems like a good idea, but I probably won't.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Burton doesn't say anything about their protection having any certification so I'm leaning toward Demon with d3o. Only problem is shipping probably will take forever

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I used to wear the Azzpad for a couple of season then switch to the demon 3d shorts, more comfortable. I also use the 3D knee pads and that has saved me a few times on slipping on ice while toe side and my Level gloves with Biomex wrist protection. Recently, i have been wearing the Demon protective vest with back protector just in case, and that case happened today,as i was going thru some tree runs when i caught a small stump that knock me off balance in which i got pinballed until i smack into a tree backwards. I think i was lucky today.

·
Registered
546 Posts
@drblast I definitely go with option #2. But it isn't just rails that can bite. I caught a heelside edge over a month ago after landing a jump. My butt was black for weeks, if this wasn't the interwebz I'd post a picture for the shock value. The backside of my knee joint turned black and blue too, I guess the blood trickled down. Still hurts a little. And I was wearing G-Form base layer, if not for these I think they would have needed to amputate the buttcheek. Not a perfect solution, I'd like more padding, but it's what I've got.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 7.23.38 PM.png

·
Registered
781 Posts
Black Diamond Telekekneesis are great knee pads. Super low profile and they stay in place.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
@drblast I definitely go with option #2. But it isn't just rails that can bite. I caught a heelside edge over a month ago after landing a jump. My butt was black for weeks, if this wasn't the interwebz I'd post a picture for the shock value. The backside of my knee joint turned black and blue too, I guess the blood trickled down. Still hurts a little. And I was wearing G-Form base layer, if not for these I think they would have needed to amputate the buttcheek. Not a perfect solution, I'd like more padding, but it's what I've got.

View attachment 156223
That is what i wear(G-form not the Demon 3D) except its the short version, same with my kneepads (G-form).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts