Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like you don’t consider them high end or in the same ball park as the mentioned bindings. Could you elaborate a bit more as to why that’s the case (and sorry if I misunderstood your post!).
No Im sure they are high end, Ive just never used them. People seem to really love them though. I have always been that guy who gets the same brand binding as the boot I’m wearing…

·
Registered
123 Posts
@Yeahti87 @drblast can I ask which binding sizes you each have for the Katanas (and Cleavers as applicable) at which boot sizes? I have actually ordered the Katanas in size M and couldn’t resist to also order the Cleavers which only were available in L/XL. The Cleavers arrived today and I was surprised how small the footbed is for an L binding. Have a bit of room on the sides but doesn’t look that big actually…with 10.5 US boots I’m kind of in an awkward spot for bindings between M and L but manage to get into the Ms usually.

I will only have a direct comparison tomorrow as the Katanas will only arrive then but was curious to hear your experience.

·
Registered
985 Posts
@Yeahti87 @drblast can I ask which binding sizes you each have for the Katanas (and Cleavers as applicable) at which boot sizes? I have actually ordered the Katanas in size M and couldn’t resist to also order the Cleavers which only were available in L/XL. The Cleavers arrived today and I was surprised how small the footbed is for an L binding. Have a bit of room on the sides but doesn’t look that big actually…with 10.5 US boots I’m kind of in an awkward spot for bindings between M and L but manage to get into the Ms usually.

I will only have a direct comparison tomorrow as the Katanas will only arrive then but was curious to hear your experience.
Your’re absolutely right about the footbed. Union has them too long for L and Rome has them pretty short in both sizes.

I had the Katanas L/XL for Adidas Tactical 10 US (shell like Burton 10.5 US) and that was a good fit.
After I downsized to 9.5 US and while upgrading the Katanas I went M/L now. I could test the whole winter my friend’s M/L and it worked well with my 9.5 US. The biggest change is the weight between M/L.

Another friend lately got Tacticals 10,5 US and a month ago we went to the shop to compare the M/L and L/XL Katanas for his new boot (I don’t have my old L/XL anymore).
The L/XL looked better and imo that’s the size you’ll want to keep yourself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your’re absolutely right about the footbed. Union has them too long for L and Rome has them pretty short in both sizes.

I had the Katanas L/XL for Adidas Tactical 10 US (shell like Burton 10.5 US) and that was a good fit.
After I downsized to 9.5 US and while upgrading the Katanas I went M/L now. I could test the whole winter my friend’s M/L and it worked well with my 9.5 US. The biggest change is the weight between M/L.

Another friend lately got Tacticals 10,5 US and a month ago we went to the shop to compare the M/L and L/XL Katanas for his new boot (I don’t have my old L/XL anymore).
The L/XL looked better and imo that’s the size you’ll want to keep yourself.
Cheers mate!

That was my first impression also. When I placed my boot in the binding I was thinking how on Earth the M/L should fit 😂. I’ll see tomorrow when I have the direct comparison but that would then also solve the question as to whether I go for Katanas or Cleaver. Katana only available in M/L and Cleaver in L/XL…oh well. Although I’m a bit worried about the issues with the 2020/2021 Cleavers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I own both, what do you wanna know?

Katana is more comfortable and a better all-around, do-anything binding and is plenty responsive for the Alchemist. Cleaver highback and baseplate are ultra-stiff and the extra metal on it makes it have that immediate response feeling. The Cleaver is no joke, but it's still comfortable and damp. Katana is more comfortable because the softer highback conforms to your boot - Cleaver highback does not conform to anything, so you have to set it up just right - I initially felt some pressure in my upper heel from it.

I've had a Cleaver baseplate break (Rome replaced it) and think it should only be mounted 4x4 for that reason. The Katana has a more flexible baseplate and the asymwrap puts less pressure on it so I don't worry about that one at all.

Cleaver is the Formula 1 car - top of the line everything but like anything that stiff and performant you're going to pay for it somewhere else like comfort or reliability. Katana is a high-performance production sports car. If you genuinely are between the two get the Katanas. If you know you absolutely need a very stiff but still comfy and damp binding, Cleaver. I guess there's something to be said for putting a "pull out all the stops" extreme binding like the Cleaver on a board like the Alchemist, but really either is going to work really well.
Seriously though, I’m worried about all the stories about broken base plates especially as the 2020/2021 version was the first one. Thinking whether Rome might have looked into this and changed something in this years version. Do you think mounting 4x4 will properly solve the issue? I’ve always mounted my Falcors the way you had @drblast without issues…even if it works kind of silly to restrict adjustability (I actually like to play around with stance width depending on board etc) for a binding in that price segment.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I have M/L in both bindings, US10 boots (32 TM-2 and TM-3).

You can see my Cleaver baseplate breaking thread on here if you search. Rome was really good about replacing the baseplate, but it is something I'm concerned about when mounting 2x4. Another reason I'm not jumping to Cleavers over Katanas - I'm not sure they've worked out the problems yet and the full wrap heel loop does put more pressure on the baseplate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have M/L in both bindings, US10 boots (32 TM-2 and TM-3).

You can see my Cleaver baseplate breaking thread on here if you search. Rome was really good about replacing the baseplate, but it is something I'm concerned about when mounting 2x4. Another reason I'm not jumping to Cleavers over Katanas - I'm not sure they've worked out the problems yet and the full wrap heel loop does put more pressure on the baseplate.
Thanks mate!

I had a look at your baseplate thread last night which was the main reason making me worry. And I share your thoughts that the issue might not be sorted out, and I’d be looking at last years Cleavers! Question is whether I want to rely on the assumption that the 4x4 mounting would solve the problem or whether I wouldn’t trust the bindings either way. Probably the latter so that there is no point in getting them in the first place. And since all of you say that the difference in terms of response and stiffness is not that significant wouldn’t sacrifice much. I did look at the Altas FC today too but that’d be double the price roughly from what I could get the katanas for…

Sizing wise comparing the M/L Katanas to the L/XL Cleavers there is not much of a difference actually. The baseplate is a bit wider and ca. 3-4mm longer. But my boot fits quite nicely into the M/L Katanas. Sure, the footbed could be a touch longer but think it’s still ok. The Falcor in size M is about 2-3mm longer than the M/L Katana in terms of footbed so all more or less aligned. Looking to downsize my boots half a size soon anyway so I’m tempted to stick to the Katanas and check them out after all the praise😊!

·
Registered
163 Posts

Do tell. What do you guys think on a size 10 k2 boot?

·
Registered
123 Posts
So...Black Friday has let me also order the Atlas FC now to add to the mix :sneaky:

I'm still debating whether the Katana wouldn't be a little too soft for me and then saw this offer and could resist. Will check it out alongside the two Romes although I still don't feel comfortable with the Cleaver issues

21 - 31 of 31 Posts