Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1321 - 1340 of 1352 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,829 Posts
I have a buddy who has a korua and also one of my 28cm wide Taiyaki 151. Korua is much stiffer especially between the feet.
I don't want to say a negative word about other boards, but this is a game of flex, stiff boards do not help you carve.
Are you talking torsionally or longitudinal regarding stiffness and isn't this going to be relative to the speed and turn radius of the carve? Surely with a softer board there's going to be issues at higher speeds and through chopped out terrain?

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,322 ·
Are you talking torsionally or longitudinal regarding stiffness and isn't this going to be relative to the speed and turn radius of the carve? Surely with a softer board there's going to be issues at higher speeds and through chopped out terrain?
Longitudinal stiffness and mostly between the feet. Yes stiff boards are good for chopped up conditions because they plow through, but this is a carving thread :LOL:
You could walk into a ferrari dealer and ask about off road performance but you would be in the wrong shop.
There is a long held belief in snowboarding that carving needs stiff equipment but my results have come by embracing flex.
Stiff boards need larger radii because they are very hard to flex and large radii boards are dogs to ride at anything less than mach 10, such that most people don't enjoy them, me included.

· Super Moderator
1,829 Posts
Longitudinal stiffness and mostly between the feet. Yes stiff boards are good for chopped up conditions because they plow through, but this is a carving thread :LOL:
You could walk into a ferrari dealer and ask about off road performance but you would be in the wrong shop.
There is a long held belief in snowboarding that carving needs stiff equipment but my results have come by embracing flex.
Stiff boards need larger radii because they are very hard to flex and large radii boards are dogs to ride at anything less than mach 10, such that most people don't enjoy them, me included.
Ah yes, I forget that some people are blessed with ultimate carving conditions most of the time, especially now with border restrictions. Make the most of your soft board because in 12 months I'm hoping you'll only be able to get 30 minutes of these conditions before the international tourists destroy your playing field. :LOL:

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,325 ·
Ah yes, I forget that some people are blessed with ultimate carving conditions most of the time, especially now with border restrictions. Make the most of your soft board because in 12 months I'm hoping you'll only be able to get 30 minutes of these conditions before the international tourists destroy your playing field. :LOL:
Catch ya later.

· Registered
595 Posts
Bern trying 24/6 following this discussion, actively not over rotating my upper body and it felt great, while still getting the benefits of +/+.

I think the most benefits come from having less difference between the front and back foot. With duck, it aligns your body, with +/+ it just twist your body.

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Bern trying 24/6 following this discussion, actively not over rotating my upper body and it felt great, while still getting the benefits of +/+.

I think the most benefits come from having less difference between the front and back foot. With duck, it aligns your body, with +/+ it just twist your body.

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk
I’ve tried lots of different angles. For carving 24/6 is my jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,652 Posts
This is why I realized I preferred other boards over my koruas. I love getting to mach 10 once in a rare while but that's really not how I normally ride...

· Registered
245 Posts
2 unrelated questions:
  1. Can this technique translate to fast/tight carving? If so, what adjustments need to be made?
  2. re: Toe turns - Been using a +27 +3 stance, and I feel like my hips are only really involved at the end of my turn. If I focus on pushing my hips forward, the overall turn shape ends up never going across the fall line because I end up in the backseat almost immediately due to my rear foot being way more responsive than the front to the hip positioning. Instead of consciously pushing my hips forward, should I be consciously weighing my front foot beforehand to initiate the toeside turn?

· Registered
245 Posts
You want to be drawing a line across the fall line between arcs. It’s how you get both the board and your body in position for the next arc
Thanks for the reply; I guess to be more precise, I can do a full traverse to a full stop back up the hill on my heelside, but on my toeside, I can't end up going back up the hill. If I don't recruit my hips and sort of prioritize weighting the front foot sooner and longer, I think I can achieve this, but not sure how optimal that is technique-wise.

· Registered
692 Posts
Gave this a try today and felt good. The lighting was just way too flat though to really ride aggressively so I’ll have to wait for another day to give it the full test.

24/6 is mine too! Carving for LIFE. Stance as narrow as the board will go.

I switch it to 24/-6 when I want to go freestyle.

Thanks @Kijima!

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Trying narrower might be next..I’m on reference but I’m 5’6”.

I’m 5’5”. Was rocking a really wide stance for awhile. Now back to reference. It’s all good. I think I was overcompensating for bad skills. Haven’t gone narrower than reference but maybe I should try?

· Registered
1 Posts
Well, with a seasons pass it's probably not much more than that anyway. Plus people don't go there to carve, or for anything much at all really. The real risk for that hill is it closing down due to financial issues, a lot of the infrastructure and facilities are up for sale.

· Registered
2,292 Posts
I’ve be alternating between 36/12 and 24-27/6 on some of my boards. I haven’t switched the angles between boards so it’s not apples to apples but I think I preferred the 24-27/6 this season. Going up to 36/12 on my Cafe Racer felt like I didn’t have leverage to get back toeside - id also not be able to nuance the rear toeside contact point like I wanted. I have 8.5 boots though so I’m outgunned from the start on that board. Great on heelsides though, felt fantastic.

1321 - 1340 of 1352 Posts