Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1341 - 1352 of 1352 Posts

· Registered
1,380 Posts
I’ve be alternating between 36/12 and 24-27/6 on some of my boards. I haven’t switched the angles between boards so it’s not apples to apples but I think I preferred the 24-27/6 this season. Going up to 36/12 on my Cafe Racer felt like I didn’t have leverage to get back toeside - id also not be able to nuance the rear toeside contact point like I wanted. I have 8.5 boots though so I’m outgunned from the start on that board. Great on heelsides though, felt fantastic.
I felt the same way. I tried 27/12 on a wide carving board and didn’t care for it. Back foot is the finesse steering foot and it wasn’t as effortless. Back to +6 rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,380 Posts
I was riding solo on Thursday. I met up with a chill carving guy on the lift. We were running laps at Southface Okemo and shared some refreshments after a couple rides up. We got to talking about my Kijima carver I was riding (second day on it!). He asked who made it and I told him. He says "Oh yeah I know Kijima. I read the 60 page thread on the forum. I was referred to it from another carving forum."

It got me thinking about this thread and the impact of it, at least for me. I went back and re-read the whole thing yesterday when the rain kept me inside. It's amazing that over the past 2 years, these tips have taken my riding to the next level. The impact of dolphin dancing, hula hooping, squatting, squeezing, extending has been amazing. It has effected every area of riding for me. I ride with so much more precise control. It's my flow.

Anyway, on to new revelations. Let's talk about ankle flexibility. Keeping my boots looser combined with softer bindings has been my next breakthrough in riding. I'm much more able to actively shift my weight over the deck.

· Registered
Amplid splitboard, Phantom Bindings, Atomic Blackland
9,063 Posts
On a soft snow day take the high backs off, it's an ankle eye opener. The beginning of heel side turns becomes a whole different thing. on super hardpack snow it sucks tho, which is most of the time for us
Or go with AT Backlands with link levers and Spark Dyno DH bindings, just flip the link lever to tour mode and there is no high back, perhaps like doing a snow snurfer. In untouched powder runs a whole different ride FUN... until you hit the cat track or groomers to get back to the chair...then its WTFFFF. lol

· Registered
81 Posts
Or go with AT Backlands with link levers and ... flip the link lever to tour mode and there is no high back, perhaps like doing a snow snurfer.
Been there, done that. For me, it feels different from no boarding even then. I'm trying to think why.

With no boarding I stand differently - more of a surf stance, and the action is very definitely ankles and weight shift down there.

With Backlands, even in walk mode, I have a more forward (40/35) stance and still have the lateral stiffness of the boot. I'm also turning "from higher up" than my ankles. I much prefer riding with the levers (phantoms...) engaged, because I have that extra control from front-back as well.

That's powder; on hardpack, I'd not be riding in walk mode or trying no-boarding.

· Registered
2,292 Posts
@Scalpelman what binding boot combo did you land on? While waiting for EVO to warranty my boots I had to go back to my Adidas Acerra boot - and I missed the lateral movement and definitely fell back into habits of letting the boot do all the work. Now I’m sitting on the couch in a very tight pair of Ride Fuse, hoping they pack out a little. I went .5 down from my mondo this time.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
I’m riding Burton photon size 9. Always wanted to try Adidas bc of their toe box but too late to the party. I’m using Now Pilots for bindings. Love the rubber interface. It gives some dampness without having to buy a damp board. Only issue is the toecap that seems to slip down. I just swapped to Burton toecaps.

· Registered
245 Posts
I’m riding Burton photon size 9. Always wanted to try Adidas bc of their toe box but too late to the party. I’m using Now Pilots for bindings. Love the rubber interface. It gives some dampness without having to buy a damp board. Only issue is the toecap that seems to slip down. I just swapped to Burton toecaps.

I'm actually selling used Acerras in US9 if that's what you were after
nvm they 9.5

· Registered
2,271 Posts
Is anyone in here using Salomon bindings? very curious about shadow fit. Also they come in purple which is debatably the only thing that matters
I think they are nice, have the District something, but I’d like one without canting. Highback and the cables seem to work well together. You need those leg stabilizers more, so might feel it the first few days, but the freedom is nice.

Got me some purple Cartels too because it matters.

1341 - 1352 of 1352 Posts