Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Early stages of revamping the quiver - Jones Flag 162W is my new daily driver. I have a ton of versatility in that board if I don't know what I'll be facing.
Got a ton of recommendations for charging / carve decks as well that I'll be adding.

I need a pow slayer now!
I have the archetype and have loved the freeride / carving side of it, but the powder side is leaving a lot to be desired for me (I've loved that deck, just not in love in powder). I'm looking to ride fast and surf, and I'm pretty sure I don't want a board that tops out at 159 (orca). I know I'm leaning on the directional side - (scooping the ejack knife 162W to replace my freestyle board and don't need more than one twin deck honestly). Not looking at many CRC's either (started on an NS T2 and it was chill, not my vibe though squirreling around). If it rips carves too that's a bonus but don't want to come at the sacrifice of the feel in powder, which is how the EA feels for me.

I've been looking at the
moss U4 and swallow
bataleon CT
Korua Dart
Spring Break Snowcraft (there's like 6 versions of the SB)
dupraz look tight too
Burton fish - every burton board I grab just feels heavy to me for some reason. My friends Flight attendant feels way heavier than my flag - and the flag is a gun.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,314 Posts
I had asked for similar recommendations last season when I was looking for a pow deck for SO (who otherwise rides a 164 carbon Flag as daily driver).

I went with a Nidecker Mellow for him in the end (a 160; he's 190lbs), as Argo's kid rides one; if the kid likes it, it must he good :).

And indeed, SO likes it a lot. It's a good quiver addition to Flag. Effortless float and can be ridden with fun at the high speed he likes to charge pow, but also surfy. May be something for you, too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I’m sure the Dart is awesome. If you want to burn more money I can recommend the Pencil plus. Not damp but fun and light weight.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Met a guy yesterday who worked for burton and was on the new 'deep days'. He was pretty stoked with the preformance on powder and on groomers. Looked like it would have a ton of float as well.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
EJack is your twin? But it's not remotely twin....

If an Archetype ain't floaty enough:
Volume: Marhar Sasquatch, K2 Cool Bean, Rossi Sushi
Not Volume: pretty much anything Moss, TJ, or Gentem, K2 Overboard, Snofisk Deeps, Stranda Tree Surfer, Weston Japow, Jones Lone Wolf

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Have 3 different Moss
U5- is the cruiser which does everything well
PQ54- is fast and responsive, good for carveing and powder up to about 6-800mm deep, easiest to ride, loose and fun
62SW- big carver, great edge hold and best in the deep stuff
they all do groomers extremely well and are a ton of fun, none of them are bombers, better to use like a surfboard carving and hitting berms,lips like surfing.
K2 party platter 18-19 model is poppy and very playful and carves like it is on rails. 150 seems a little short in the medium powder for me (185cm)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think a fair amount of folks have commented that it could use a bit more early rise to help with the float. He's not the first person I've read say that it didn't do as well in powder as they expected.
Those people are delusional. Probably the same people who complain about their board being 2cms too long in the trees.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think a fair amount of folks have commented that it could use a bit more early rise to help with the float. He's not the first person I've read say that it didn't do as well in powder as they expected.
That’s the issue I think...the rise of the nose. My hovercraft and skeleton key have far more rise in the nose. By no means is the EA a slouch in powder. I just don’t think it’s the ultimate deck for deep powder.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Those people are delusional. Probably the same people who complain about their board being 2cms too long in the trees.
I felt the same unitl I took mine to Japan a few weeks ago and it did not float well enough for a typical Japan pow day. Don't get me wrong though this is easily in my top 3 favorite boards of the 8 that I currently own, its just a little too centered for riding in untracked deep and light powder.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
30mm of taper with a swallowtail and you don't like the powder aspect?
Nonsense. Archetype is a freeride board with decent powder performance. It's not a pow stick by any stretch of the imagination. Taper and (even more so) swallowtail are not exclusive to powder boards/only for pow performance, they have other purposes also.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I laughed when I read this, have heard this often and is absurd. Not the same and not delusional though....There's a difference between "fine" and "great". Great freeride deck, FINE in powder. It's not unsinkable by any means (I'm at max setback and still feel the need to ride it like a manual on a skateboard to keep it fun).

I felt the same unitl I took mine to Japan a few weeks ago and it did not float well enough for a typical Japan pow day. Don't get me wrong though this is easily in my top 3 favorite boards of the 8 that I currently own, its just a little too centered for riding in untracked deep and light powder.
Feel the same way. It's such a fucking rad stick, going to sell my 159 and go for a 164 or 165 when put out bigger numbers next season. That should bump up the game in both areas for me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Feel the same way. It's such a fucking rad stick, going to sell my 159 and go for a 164 or 165 when put out bigger numbers next season. That should bump up the game in both areas for me.
Tried riding my skeleton key the other day figuring I would change it up cuz conditions weren’t that great and still wished I was riding the AE...thing is I don’t think it would take much modifying to the design to have it be incredible in pow too. Pretty sure those changes could be made without losing its awesome overall freeride abilities.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts