Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily rider is a parkitec, and I like it. Camber provides pretty solid edge hold, decently stable at speed for a park board. Not a bad board for an ice coast rider.

Yesterday, I demoed a custom x.

All I have to say is incredible.

The stability, the edge hold, everything about it is honestly incredible.

Its definitely not a board to take lightly, you have to be on your game when riding that thing. I got carried away for one second, hit a pretty large bump, and went flying - No harm done, it was sorta fun, and I honestly havent had a good wipeout involving some "oh shit what the fuck is going on, am I upright, hit the ground, realize your fine and sliding down the hill, get back up" so, that was sorta nice.

All I have to say is if you like charging, or carving, demo that board.

Unfortunately, due to massive lines and timing restraints I didnt get to take it on anything very steep, and far too many runs it was very crowded, but there were one or two were it was just me and my friend cruising fast. Damn that thing is fun, and going to be my next board.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
sounds like you were here at blue mountain Ontario yesterday - ideal day to see the benefits of that board - icy icy icy

·
Registered
49 Posts
My daily rider is a parkitec, and I like it. Camber provides pretty solid edge hold, decently stable at speed for a park board. Not a bad board for an ice coast rider.

Yesterday, I demoed a custom x.

All I have to say is incredible.

The stability, the edge hold, everything about it is honestly incredible.

Its definitely not a board to take lightly, you have to be on your game when riding that thing. I got carried away for one second, hit a pretty large bump, and went flying - No harm done, it was sorta fun, and I honestly havent had a good wipeout involving some "oh shit what the fuck is going on, am I upright, hit the ground, realize your fine and sliding down the hill, get back up" so, that was sorta nice.

All I have to say is if you like charging, or carving, demo that board.

Unfortunately, due to massive lines and timing restraints I didnt get to take it on anything very steep, and far too many runs it was very crowded, but there were one or two were it was just me and my friend cruising fast. Damn that thing is fun, and going to be my next board.
What year was the custom x you demoed?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like you were here at blue mountain Ontario yesterday - ideal day to see the benefits of that board - icy icy icy
Yep. Very Very busy too.

It was quite icy in some parts, didnt phase the board at all.

It was the latest custom x.

·
Registered
74 Posts
what size custom x? and what weight/boot size are you? I'm 160 with 10.5 Salomon boots (9.5 footprint) and went with a 161, mainly for boot size reasons. Haven't had great luck with it so far, probably just need to put in some more work on it!

Rob

·
Registered
441 Posts
I ride a 158 Custom X. I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been on the mountain plenty of times where I was a bit nervous to really "push it" because it was so ridiculously icy but if I did a bit the board was there for it all. Keep those edges sharp and it will hold on pretty much anything.

Seeing as how I love it so much plus most of my riding is ice coast I don't know if I will ever use anything else

·
Registered
4 Posts
i ride one as well, pretty sure it's the 2008 version with the x's under the bindings and the elements on the under graphic (trees, water, fire, etc). keep wanting to get a new board but i can't imagine anything being better on the ice in the ADKs and VT. thing is a beast.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i ride one as well, pretty sure it's the 2008 version with the x's under the bindings and the elements on the under graphic (trees, water, fire, etc). keep wanting to get a new board but i can't imagine anything being better on the ice in the ADKs and VT. thing is a beast.
You might actually like the newer Customs X's though. Try one if you get a chance. The newer aded tech does make it even better ride.....slightly. Its hard to get better than it already is but they have improved it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ride a 2013 X and I love it too. Lately I've been playing with some other Burton boards like the Super Hero and Nug, and the contrast between them has become more apparent. You can bomb HARD on a Custom X, it's very stable at speed and I am able to go 10mph+ faster on it confidently. It's got a ton of pop too, I love nollieing around and pressing hard. I do lose edges on it sometimes, and catch them when I am not careful, so you really need to be decent before you pick one up. I got one when I was beginning and it's been a bit of a rough ride.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I ride a 2013 X and I love it too. Lately I've been playing with some other Burton boards like the Super Hero and Nug, and the contrast between them has become more apparent. You can bomb HARD on a Custom X, it's very stable at speed and I am able to go 10mph+ faster on it confidently. It's got a ton of pop too, I love nollieing around and pressing hard. I do lose edges on it sometimes, and catch them when I am not careful, so you really need to be decent before you pick one up. I got one when I was beginning and it's been a bit of a rough ride.
I did the same thing. my second year riding was on a Custom X. Took some falls but nothing too serious....thank God

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did the same thing. my second year riding was on a Custom X. Took some falls but nothing too serious....thank God
I have 20+ days on the board and I still have to be careful. A month ago I caught a heel-side edge going 25ish MPH and ate it HARD. Hit the back of my head, flipped and cracked my knee straight into ice. The Custom X demands respect, you can not be too cautious riding this board.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I rode it's stiffer brother, the T6 and T7 for a few years. Solid board and one of the reasons why I think magnetraction is a marketing gimmick. Good stiff cambered board with sharp edges will GRIP.

The Custom X is a nice board!

Also look at the Volkl Coal XT if you like the Custom X...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Outside of it being a stiff, cambered, board what makes the custom x so unforgiving? Edge bevel, sidecut...not sure if that matters, etc...or is it as simple as that. I've always rode cambered boards and I'm just wondering if the "unforgiving" reference is more related to a comparison to some of the rocker/hybrid camber profiles you see today. Thanks....this is one of the boards I've had an eye on but may go with the Capita NAS for the price point. Since I brought it up, any comparison between the two?

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Outside of it being a stiff, cambered, board what makes the custom x so unforgiving?
That's it, the new generation has been brought up on softer, alternative profile boards. They've been lead to believe that "camber makes you catch edges"...

From every stiffer cambered board I've been on, I'd say they're not unforgiving, they're "responsive". Make a mistake and it'll respond badly, ride it well and it'll respond well. I'd prefer that to riding with training wheels... :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's it, the new generation has been brought up on softer, alternative profile boards. They've been lead to believe that "camber makes you catch edges"...

From every stiffer cambered board I've been on, I'd say they're not unforgiving, they're "responsive". Make a mistake and it'll respond badly, ride it well and it'll respond well. I'd prefer that to riding with training wheels... :D
+1

it's more application these days, the more accessible tricks in the park are gonna be the small jumps, rails and boxes which is why this younger generation leans towards soft rockered/flat boards, it's just a flat out better/easier board for the type of stuff they start on. Kids that graduate to bigger jumps, spins & pipe often graduate to more aggressive boards

the training wheel comment is a bit unfair as you still need the skill/ability to shred dope with rocker or camber. A certain profile isn't going to make you land a trick you can't do, a soft rocker might help you with consistency on board slide, the same way a stiffer cambered deck might help you with consistency landing a bigger jump but you still gotta go thru all the hard knocks before you can put that trick in your bag.

In the end is just a tool, which is why that 150 park deck you can burn laps in the park with is gonna be a shit ride in the knee deep and vice versa.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts