Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Im pretty new to snowboarding, but I have the basics down. I am 5'1, 120 lbs. When I was shopping for a board one sales guy told me to get a 138, another told me a 142, another told me a 144 (Im in the weight range for all). I ended up going with the Salomon Lotus in the 142 because the sales guy insisted it was a better choice. Now I am wishing I had got the 138 for tighter turns and learning switch. Also I got the board because it has "bite free edges", but its a flat out camber design, and now everything I am reading says rocker is better for learning. Im wondering if I should try and sell this board, or if it wont make much of a difference. I am an all mountain kinda gal who likes powder and tree runs, playing around a bit, little jumps...or bumbs lol... but not in the park. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
You'll be fine with that board -- size is right and the flat profile is going to be versatile for you. Enjoy it!

FWIW one of my daughters is your height and a bit lighter than you and her favourite board for everything this season was a 148 cm. Last season she most commonly rode a 142.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You'll be fine with that board -- size is right and the flat profile is going to be versatile for you. Enjoy it!

FWIW one of my daughters is your height and a bit lighter than you and her favourite board for everything this season was a 148 cm. Last season she most commonly rode a 142.
What he said, that board will take you further than a rocker board. have fun !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im still wondring if this board is right for me. Most things am reading has boards coming up around chin length, and this one is top of my lip. Also I had no idea when I bought it about the width mattering, until I read on this site. My feet are about 2 cms shorter than the board where the bindings sit. I should have done my research before I made the purchase, but I also wish the sales person would have known more aswell.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Sizing is better done based on weight. The board flex is engineered to match your weight. If you're lighter than the recommended then it will feel stiffer than it's designed to feel. Vice versa for if you're too heavy.

If you look at the Salomon website you'll see weight recommendations. No height recommendations. That's the standard. Yes, you can modify those recommendations as height will have an effect at the extremes (eg. 6' tall and 140 lbs should probably size up a bit on the board length despite the 'low' weight), but generally you're fine going with sizing based on the manufacturer's weight recommendations.

As far as I know they don't make women's boards in wide/mid-wide, etc. 1cm of 'underhang' on each edge vs your bare foot is fine/normal. When you put your boots on the board you'll probably see a bit of overhang from the boots, themselves, and that's also fine/normal.

You can return the board if you like, as you seem pretty worried about it, but the salespeople and those of us helping you here have told you the sizing is fine. If it's really the sizing then that's your answer. If it's actually that you really want a different board then by all means, get one. There are tons of good deals on boards right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I just have a hard time spending money on myself so I feel a bit guilty, especially if I made a wrong choice. I guess I just need to breathe lol. Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
No worries. The fact that you can't ride it till next season certainly doesn't help. If the world hadn't been turned upside-down so suddenly then you'd already have it on snow and had your answer (that it's all good and there was no need to worry) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Thanks! I just have a hard time spending money on myself so I feel a bit guilty, especially if I made a wrong choice. I guess I just need to breathe lol. Thanks again :)
That's buyer's remorse but in this case you have a board that's perfect for you. The sales guys steered you in the right direction.

My wife and both daughters are about your size and ride 143's as their smallest boards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm kinda going through the same thing. I have a board in the mail that I'm stoked on, but it might be on the shorterish side of my ideal perfect snowboard, by 3 measly centimeters.

What's awesome about buying a snowboard is that there are lots of choices, and since every offering from every company is a little different, you can dial in so much stuff. Buuuuuuut, if you are like me (and you?) and prone to analysis paralysis and buyers remorse and self doubt, all of that choice can be a double edged sword.

Here's a thread with people discussing why they like riding boards on the wider side:

I couldn't find a quick and easy thread where people talk about longer boards, but it will give you more stability and help you go faster and lay down sick carves.

Camber will help you progress more and learning on it will make you a better rider and better person in the long run.

And you know what's awesome (or awful)? I could go dig up threads with info on why shorter boards are preferable, and the advantages of a narrower board and why it's better to learn on a rocker.

If your decision haunts you all summer, just buy another board! It's been a shitty winter. It's been a shitty spring. There will probably extra off-season discounts because no one is buying snowboards when life is shitty. Options!

Everything is meaningless (in a good way!) Life is short. Go shred.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
You really will get used to riding anything.

I have two of the same board in two different sizes, 159 and 162. Last year I rode the 159 as a daily driver, this year I was less injured and rode the 162. The 162 is definitely "more board" than the 159.

I took out the 159 last week and now it feels ridiculously easy and nimble, despite being a very stiff aggressive board that felt like a lot of board when I got it.

Which brings me to reviews, which are typically of a single size. You can have a dramatically different experience based just on a few centimetres difference with the same board model. But it's also about what you're used to. The best thing to do is stop second guessing and ride the hell out of the board you have. Every minute you spend second guessing and researching gear when you could be riding, exercising, or watching instructional videos is wasted time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts