Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off, I'm just going to say that I love my new Sherlock, and I can't wait to get on it next winter.

I'm just a little worried about learning some more park stuff, because I got the 160 instead of the 158. (My dad thought it would be better as I'm still in the middle of a growth spurt...I thought boards weren't really determined by height.)

But yeah, did I make a bad choice? I'm about 50-50 leaning towards 60% all mountain park. I can't return the board or anything, but I'm just wondering. (The 158 also had an ugly black base, haha.) Also, I was considering selling my current board, but should I keep it? It's much shorter, but I forget the actual length. I think it's a low 150-range. It's camber though, and has a pow setback.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It would be helpful to know your weight, size and boot size.

Generally I can tell you that a difference of 2cm will be hardly noticeable. Meaning that the board won't hold you back in the park, compared to the 158.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know it's big but I'm just nervous that it's bad for learning park. I forgot to include my height and wait in the original post, so sorry about that :p. My dad insisted that I bought the bigger board. So, should I keep the 152 or sell it? (My old board)

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Keep the shorter board and use it for park. The 160 will be a super stable all-mountain monster concerning your weight/height. Now you've got the best of both.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm going to buck the trend here.

Your Dad made a mistake, probably listening to some wannabe/knows everthing... or just wasn't really paying attention sales guy at the snowboard shop.

Keep the 152 and Sell the 160. ( or just keep it for something to look at and ride a couple times a season in deeper snow )

I'm 5'11" and weigh around 180lbs. Have been riding for decades and occasionally have bought longer boards as I thought they would be cool. even have a 165 Vokl Anthrax ( great board, but do I really need it? )

I'm a pretty agressive rider and like to charge things. My whole career in Snowboarding I've found over and over again... A solid 156/157 allows me to pretty much stomp the whole mountain from Park to Freeride. ( caveat.. in powder need a soft 157 or like I have this year a Proto 157 which I swear should be called a 159 or 160... which is why I'm moving to a Proto 154 for next year )

anyway.. If I were 5'8" 150lbs I would be geting a stepchild, Lib, Rome or similiar make 151 or 148. and a soft & Rocker at that!
know plenty of guys on the mountain your size riding these type set-ups. (almost all have been riding for 7 - 15 years though... and are pretty much one level below pro/sponsored level.. so that could make the difference)

Last thought:
*Even if you buy a shorter board and one day grow out of it. years later you will always bust it out for a bit of fun jibbing around, or butter'ing the muffin if you are riding with a new main squeeze who is years behind you in experience but 'keen on being educated ;)

**Longer Boards?? hmm... they just seem to be a nice addition to the quiver that never get used nearly as much as their shorter comrades; for somone who gravitates towards Parks..

Everyone is different... but that's where I stand. the day is young, if you are 'that' enthusiastic... save some money and go buy another board. **just take the beating your Dad will dish out when he finds out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
160 is a big board for your size, but if you like the board you can keep both your boards, give a chanche to your new battlecruiser and in the worst case trade it at the end of the next season...

Shorter/rockered/softer boards make snowboarding less tiring, but if you got the skill you can shred on any stick!
Btw I'm about 140 lbs and I ride a 157 as everyday deck

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'll pile on. Like the guys a few above said, a good 56-57 is perfect for me as well, at 178 or so. Bought a 159, which is only 2 cms longer, and still feel myself wanting to be on a shorter board most days.

IF you are going to use the Sherlock as a powder board, and that's it, perfect, keep it, and add another board to build a quiver.

If you don't ride that much powder in a year, sell the thing, and get a 53 or so as your all mountain deck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ahh, whatever. I'll just keep it as I want to be a more pow-person when I get older, but I can't ride powder deeper than an inch because I don't live out West. When I'm 16 I'm allowed to buy that perfect board without a sale or whatever, and I'm planning on buying an Evo or a Proto, which is two years. I can take two years, considering I'm not good at jibbing anyway. I can go on most jibs, and pipe drops and stuff, but I can't do anything on them. I won't want to bang up my new board anyway, lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.