Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been brainstorming this casually for a few years but decided to seriously look into this recently cause I've noticed the past few seasons I've mainly been riding at night cause, well, it's cheaper. Every year lift ticket prices go up around here but after 2pm or 5pm, some of the local hills have a cheaper rate.

There's a lot of benefits to night riding for me, cheaper, easier to find parking, much less lineups - except - only the runs that are lit are open. I don't need to go down the closed runs cause there's usually a closed chairlift at the bottom anyway. But just for those "connecting" trails that aren't lit (that lead back to a lit trail), going through some trees, that sorta thing. I also like be able to make out what I'm riding on that much clearer; avoid black ice, rocks and shit...

Looking online, I was a bit surprise that no one makes a helmet light by now? So I decided to make my own. I can fix almost anything so if I could find the right light I could make it work. I started looking into those lights in LED people use for construction/work that's held onto your head with those small looking goggle straps; I just didn't need the strap. Holy shit they can get expensive around here but found the best bang-for-the-buck at Walmart of all places.

They carry the Energizer version of them (at least in my area) so it should be made relatively well.
Energizer LED headlight

Ironically I found a 350 lumen one on the shelf which according to Energizer's site they don't make anymore? Because it's for work, it's waterproof, shockproof and suppose to last up to 6 hours on high, which is perfect cause the local hills close before then anyway. I opened the package and turns out it's hinged and can be adjusted down, so bonus!

Mounted it on the front my helmet with industrial, waterproof, indoor/outdoor double-sided tape I had.

Tested it at home and lit up my whole backyard! I think it'll do the trick on the hill. I'll try and post an update with hopefully some pics. I'm itchin to go just to try it out but won't have time til after this coming weekend when I'm back in town...

*DISCLAIMER: I'm not advocating anyone go out of bounds, ESPECIALLY at night. Use your goddam mountain sense for fuck's sake...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Neat, but I thought night riding = the resort has runs that are lit up. Riding in full dark even with that headlight seems like death to me.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Night riding is fun, I made a gopro mount for a my bike light, put the batterypack in my pocket. No problem with any terrain. Usually best to go well outside resorts, since skipatrols will drop whatever they are doing to chase you down, for some reason..

·
Registered
676 Posts
Night riding is fun, I made a gopro mount for a my bike light, put the batterypack in my pocket. No problem with any terrain. Usually best to go well outside resorts, since skipatrols will drop whatever they are doing to chase you down, for some reason..
Yeah, what do you suppose the reason could possibly be?! :dry:

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
The thing with this is that it's functional use will be highly limited. Resorts with night riding are lit obviously, the real problem with a head lamp is light coming from one focal point pointed forward. And when snowboarding you aren't looking directly in front of you especially only a short direction. You should be looking far down the run and picking out spaces, points, bumps, turns, etc well ahead of time. A head lamp approach doesn't actually work well for allowing this. It'll work in a gimmick slow riding open terrain kind of way, but it will never be an actual thing and doesn't serve any real practical use. But hey go out and screw around with it, it'll still be fun to just play with if ya want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The thing with this is that it's functional use will be highly limited. Resorts with night riding are lit obviously, the real problem with a head lamp is light coming from one focal point pointed forward. And when snowboarding you aren't looking directly in front of you especially only a short direction. You should be looking far down the run and picking out spaces, points, bumps, turns, etc well ahead of time. A head lamp approach doesn't actually work well for allowing this. It'll work in a gimmick slow riding open terrain kind of way, but it will never be an actual thing and doesn't serve any real practical use. But hey go out and screw around with it, it'll still be fun to just play with if ya want.
Building on this though - strap another lamp round your front leg, pointing over the front of your board. Should help a lot. Olight HS2 is superb by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Yeah, people use headlamps at night on the mountain I go to. It's a tradeoff...see really well for five feet in front of you at the expense of your night vision which would help you see where you're going.

I try to stay away from those people because I'm pretty sure they'll never see me.

One thing you can do is find a red light that will still provide enough light to see if you get stuck in a dark area with no recourse, but won't completely ruin your ability to see anything else. Most camping gear/lights have that feature.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
I've thought about putting a black light in a headlamp.

You know, the kind that make white shirts glow at the bar.

Think I brought it up here once before, and the majority said it wouldn't work.

But, I have yet to see anything white, not glow.
So I still think it'll work.

Don't think they make little black light LED's?
You'd have to find some gel(see through plastic film)

I would love to see you prove me right. Haha

TT

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

TT
They make blacklight headlamps.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts

TT
Your black light isn’t gonna light up snow unless it’s covered in phosphates -which given your location it’s probably not. A black light will do a great job at illuminating all the dandruff and jizz on people’s outerwear. So it could still be a worthwhile setup. Like CSI Whistler. Good to know who the serious tossers are when you’re in the lift line.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So had a chance to test out the helmet light. To see the best difference, I went to an open but unlit trail that connected 2 lit trails.

Before:

After:

I'm very happy with the results! There's a lot of powder between the trees at night that no one else touches! And that was the goal. It's lights up about a 20' round spot in front of me. And I'm glad I happen to get a light that adjusts up and down; I can further adjust it to the angle of the slope I'm on on the fly. The batteries that came with it last all night. I turn it off in the chairlift line up and on the chair to both save battery life and not be a dick. Lighting/LED's have already come a long way which is why I think this idea works and will probably only get better over time.

On lit trails, it's kinda like having your car's headlights on at night, even though the road you're on has street lights, it's that much more lighting. Which helps in my case cause even though some trails on lit on the local mountains around here, they're not lit very well. It's not like an open football stadium at night, more like a tired street lamps on an old, country road...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

TT
These guys provide LED's in black light (aka 'UV' or 'Ultraviolet'): Autolumination

I get all my LED's for my cars from them, I guess it'd just be a matter of a battery setup that would power it properly. It wouldn't look pretty but something to get your brainstorming started. And it should light up the snow.

Yes, if you've ever been in a club with darklight, 100% cotton tshirts glow. Phosphorus is in the tube style lighting which is used to produce the brightness itself. Put a charge through phosphorus and it glows and lights up. Darklight tubes has a coating on or in the glass that filters the white-colour wavelength into the UV wavelength.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts