Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been snowboarding since the beginning of last year and my carving really sucks i cant lean back enoughand everything. i cant do rails or anything i can barley do boxes.
i have been trying to improve my riding and carving skills but i still seem like im not getting any better? :cry:😭😡:-(

how many years did it take yall to be a decent carver?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i have been snowboarding since the beginning of last year and my carving really sucks i cant lean back enoughand everything. i cant do rails or anything i can barley do boxes.
i have been trying to improve my riding and carving skills but i still seem like im not getting any better? :cry:😭😡:-(

[/QUOTE

maybe its that i dont weigh enough? im like 120

·
Registered
943 Posts
You shouldn't be leaning back carving......, need to have your weight forward engaging the front EE on toeside/heelside turns. Keep your stance (arms/shoulders) inline with the boards direction the best you can. Grab some lessons which could be a big plus for you. You can gain helpful skills that you can bring across from skateboarding/surfing/wakeboarding. Some people can pick it up fast and some it takes longer. I was a pretty good skateboarder and really solid competitive surfer (shortboard) so sliding these skills into snowboarding made progress extremely rapid as a novice.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I'm a holiday rider, so at the beginning it was 1 week a year for me. I picked up the basics pretty quickly but after that it took me about 5 years to get to point where I really started to enjoy myself and my riding became more instinct than concentration.

I'm now middle aged and snowboarding is one of the few things I'm still getting better at. There's always new things to try/learn.

Except rails.

Rails can go fuck themselves.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I have been snowboarding for 3 years this is my 4th year snowboarding I have yet to perfect my carving skills not even close to perfection. I can ride only a little on my left (I am a goofy). Don't worry, going into your 2nd- 3rd you will improve so much. When I was in my 1st year I actually slid down on my edge on the easiest course and still managed to fall and tumble don't worry you will get good soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You shouldn't be leaning back carving......, need to have your weight forward engaging the front EE on toeside/heelside turns. Keep your stance (arms/shoulders) inline with the boards direction the best you can. Grab some lessons which could be a big plus for you. You can gain helpful skills that you can bring across from skateboarding/surfing/wakeboarding. Some people can pick it up fast and some it takes longer. I was a pretty good skateboarder and really solid competitive surfer (shortboard) so sliding these skills into snowboarding made progress extremely rapid as a novice.
Thanks so much for the tips 😁👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been snowboarding for 3 years this is my 4th year snowboarding I have yet to perfect my carving skills not even close to perfection. I can't ride switch and can like barley turn on switch. Don't worry going into your 2nd- 3rd you will improve so much. When I was in my 1st year I actually slid down on my edge on the easiest course and still managed to fall and tumble don't worry you will get good soon.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
... I'm still not great at anything except going down choppy resort runs at breakneck speeds.
This would be me. It only took me 14 years to even become somewhat acquainted with some semblance of carving. It took years to even figure out basic movements...find the creepy basement vid.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,119 Posts
I'm now middle aged and snowboarding is one of the few things I'm still getting better at. There's always new things to try/learn.

Except rails.

Rails can go fuck themselves.
Amen to that :D

Hannah, I can relate to you. Fun is nice, but you're right that one can increase the fun factor if being better. I didn't love snowboarding until reaching a certain level. The early years sucked, as I sucked. (Well, in some parts, I still suck at snowboarding, as there are a thousand things I can't do, like I'm a total clown if it comes to switch riding, as I hardly ever exercise, and your rails and boxes would scare the shit out of me :)).

But if I look back over the years, I see progression in the type of riding I like (freeriding). I can jump down a dropin and ride a narrow steep chute smoothly having yeeeeha fun where I tomahawked my way down few years back, or would have timidly sideslipped down the dropin (or a combination of both 🤪). So the fun factor definitely increases as skills increase.

Everyone has a different learning curve... Repetition will make you better, and challenges will make you better. Half of the riding is building up muscle memory, i.e. riding becoms second skin. For this, you need time on slope. Simple as that. The other half is a mind game. Overcoming timidity, overcoming bad habits. That's the basis for working on fine tuning of what you already learned.

With many things, one never stops to improve. Like carving. It took me more than a decade (hey Wrath, we're the same old slow learners, lol) till I would call what I did carving. And I'm still working at improving it. Lower, faster, smoother... there's always room for getting better.

What helped me to get over lag phases in the carving learning curve is a) riding with better riders and monitor them, b) take multiburst photos of them AND me doing moves, and go through them frame by frame, to check, how my body position is vs. theirs in any second of the carve. (Turned out that my mistake for years was hidden very early in the initiation, lol.)

Have fun! (And ride low, weight on front foot :))

BTW: agree to the above posts about having the wrong board and taking lessons. Doing the same thing a thousand times the wrong way will only increase your risk to get a bad habit deep into your muscle memory. Thus, a lesson could help to boost your learning curve. And if you're on a ill fitting board for you and your aims, the curve gets shallower as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I rode intermittently for decades and was average at everything. 7 years ago my son and I went all in. I took a private lesson at the beginning and that helped my heelside carves.

I learned immensely from reading other’s and posting my own on this forum in the past couple years. And a lot was gleaned from watching vids online. But my skills took off the moment I rid myself from my worn out soft Burton Moto boots and lifeless flat profile plank of a deck. The RCR profile allowed my carving and drop in skills immensely. Now I’m a bit of a board whore. Every deck has its niche and I know when to use them.
The progression will end when I’m too old and weak to strap in.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
I get paid to snowboard and I suck. Carving is like golf, it's easy to learn the basics but to get good takes a lot of time and practice. It's knowing the subtleties of when to engage your edge, how flexing your back knee in at certain points can change the edge control, it's understanding ankle steering, hip roll, when to put your hands down, how to manipulate a flex point. It does not come easy and most people will never get past the linking a transitional carve from toe to heel. The more you do it the more you proceed at getting better.

Watch any of the Yearning for Turning, Moss Snow Stick, Gentem, Offshore Snow Shapes, Antti Autti, Yawgoons edits and you'll see the subtle complexities of it and it should visually give you a way of learning.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I started snowboarding 2 years ago (around 120 days on snow, would be 200 if I lived in the mountains) and progressed quickly to basic carving (like 10 days on snow) cos I took an instructor the first day, got my basics first, watched all the youtube vids on progression (Snowboard Addiction are the best imo) and, what is the most important, I got filmed myself every single time for the first 10 days or so. I thought I’m centered on the board and when I saw myself filmed I was wondering if it is a poor attempt of a tail press at turning.

If you are stoked on riding, reasonably fit and really want to progress you will do that. Post here a vid of yourself riding, there must be some basic mistakes that hamper your progress and it is very likely that once you get rid of them you will jump to basic carving in ~~10 days. It wont happen overnight but 2 weeks on snow with a proper plan and its implementation change a lot at the early stage.

Since I started I’ve introduced to this sport like 9 of my friends, half of them are carving/on the verge of carving after ~~25 days on snow. Their different progression pace is mostly down to how motivated they are to progress, not to just travel on a snowboard and have a mountain trip to the Alps. One of my friends spent the first 3 days on a bunny hill with kids dialing his basic turns while others were more into heelside leaf travels on red slopes (or blacks in the US) as soon as they could. Yeah, they had better photos on insta that first days but guess who can post better insta movies now ;)

Or take the example of my skier sister and my brother (yeah, working on converting them).
The sis has been a skier for the past 5 years or so, around 40 days on snow. My bro started 2 years ago, also around 40 days (only cos he has a kid now).
The difference is massive. My sis is a self learner with her friends, they all compliment each other on how quickly they’ve ‚progressed to blacks’ but they simply skid/plow around reds/blacks. My bro has taken lessons early, asked me to film him, fixed his hip alignment and other common problems and is skiing better than 90 % of the people you see on the weekends who call themselves advanced as they have been sk for 10 + years.
The first time I went to the mountains with the sis and her friends what they asked about after a warm up was where are reds/blacks as blues (what Knapton rides) are too nooby. Saw her plowing around, filmed it, showed it to her to compare it to my bro’s riding. She immidiately booked an instructor for her next trip.

The sad part is that the progress slows down immensely later on.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts