Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think we've sidetracked here. For some reason I missed this or it hasn't been posted. I suspect it will help much more than pictures of crazy eurocarves as I think the issue deeper than just carving and gets down to proper basics.

I agree

·
Registered
52 Posts
By the way for who want to go better In carving I suggest an interesting exercise for understand if we are central or not on the snowboard

sometime we do not realise that we are not in the Center And that why sometimes we are not able to make a good carve

you have to take a stick and put it on your shoulder and ride with that

looking for put in the same line the shoulder and the snowboard

There is a video that maybe it will be more clear

It Is made by hour Italian team of border cross

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I get paid to snowboard and I suck. Carving is like golf, it's easy to learn the basics but to get good takes a lot of time and practice. It's knowing the subtleties of when to engage your edge, how flexing your back knee in at certain points can change the edge control, it's understanding ankle steering, hip roll, when to put your hands down, how to manipulate a flex point. It does not come easy and most people will never get past the linking a transitional carve from toe to heel. The more you do it the more you proceed at getting better.

Watch any of the Yearning for Turning, Moss Snow Stick, Gentem, Offshore Snow Shapes, Antti Autti, Yawgoons edits and you'll see the subtle complexities of it and it should visually give you a way of learning.
thanks i definitely will watch them 🙂

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Amen to that :D

Hannah, I can relate to you. Fun is nice, but you're right that one can increase the fun factor if being better. I didn't love snowboarding until reaching a certain level. The early years sucked, as I sucked. (Well, in some parts, I still suck at snowboarding, as there are a thousand things I can't do, like I'm a total clown if it comes to switch riding, as I hardly ever exercise, and your rails and boxes would scare the shit out of me :)).

But if I look back over the years, I see progression in the type of riding I like (freeriding). I can jump down a dropin and ride a narrow steep chute smoothly having yeeeeha fun where I tomahawked my way down few years back, or would have timidly sideslipped down the dropin (or a combination of both 🤪). So the fun factor definitely increases as skills increase.

Everyone has a different learning curve... Repetition will make you better, and challenges will make you better. Half of the riding is building up muscle memory, i.e. riding becoms second skin. For this, you need time on slope. Simple as that. The other half is a mind game. Overcoming timidity, overcoming bad habits. That's the basis for working on fine tuning of what you already learned.

With many things, one never stops to improve. Like carving. It took me more than a decade (hey Wrath, we're the same old slow learners, lol) till I would call what I did carving. And I'm still working at improving it. Lower, faster, smoother... there's always room for getting better.

What helped me to get over lag phases in the carving learning curve is a) riding with better riders and monitor them, b) take multiburst photos of them AND me doing moves, and go through them frame by frame, to check, how my body position is vs. theirs in any second of the carve. (Turned out that my mistake for years was hidden very early in the initiation, lol.)

Have fun! (And ride low, weight on front foot :))

BTW: agree to the above posts about having the wrong board and taking lessons. Doing the same thing a thousand times the wrong way will only increase your risk to get a bad habit deep into your muscle memory. Thus, a lesson could help to boost your learning curve. And if you're on a ill fitting board for you and your aims, the curve gets shallower as well.
Thanks so much for all the help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Me to.
I had done it in my head so many times before I ever tried it.
I knew what needed to be done to snowboard.
Nobody told me about that front side toe catch though & I had never seen one on film.
That was a nasty surprise. haha

TT
First time I thought I was gonna go straight down the hill didn’t even think about stopping.firsttime actually going I couldn’t even stand up on the board😂😭

·
Super Moderator
5,911 Posts
I took a full day lesson at Whistler today (I'm in significant pain right now, thanks for asking). I've been riding for ten years now, getting at least 25-30 days per season, and I've taken at least one lesson every season. The instructor today still found issues with my riding that I could improve on. And not platitudes, either--stuff that I could feel right away worked better.

Mind you, it's more subtle things these days, rather than "board points downhill, stupid" kind of stuff. But the point is that you'll always have room to improve. "Sucking" just means you aren't satisfied with where you are.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There's probably always going to be a gap between where I want to be and where my abilities actually are. That gap is where progression lives. It's an alright place to hang out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yep, I came here for some technical board advice and found out right quick most people don’t know wtf they are talking about. It’s a sad state. You can’t blame them though. Snowboarding companies defined the sport and people bought in to it, so people’s advice is through that lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 107 Posts