Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :)

So I'm going to be starting my 3rd Winter season soon, having been given free hire boards for the past 2 seasons, this year I am buying my own.

I am female, 5'3 (160cm), with size 8 uk (9US) men's Snowboard boots. I've looked over loads of websites that all seem to say different things. I would really like a women's board but alot look like they might be too narrow for me. I've been advised by a shop to not go under 24.5 at the waist; but measuring at the waist really doesn't make much sense but can't find other binding inset measurements anywhere really. So really what I'd like to know if anyone else has this experience, or knows if going for like a 24cm waist would be ok too or too narrow? as if thats too narrow it would really seem I would have look at a men's board. As they don't seem to make women's boards much wider.

Any help and ideas would be amazing. Thank you in advance :)

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
Have you measured your feet (barefoot)? What's the measured length in cm?
(I'm asking cos it could well be that your boots are too big; many of us went through that learning phase after advise from @Wiredsport and others and sized down boot size, I as well; UK/US/EUR shoe sizes one usually wears are no well indicators for choosing the right boot size; better measure the actal length of the foot and then chose the corresponding Mondo size)

Reactions: deagol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My feet at 25cm. my shoes are size 7 UK, but when being fitted with Snowboard boots in the shop I ended up getting ThirtyTwos brand, size 8 Mens Uk (9 US) and they fit my feet perfect.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
25cm is a mens 7 us. This is going to get frustrating and sound repetitive, but try to hang in there, seriously. Your boots likely are too big, and that is a good thing as at 5'3 you really shouldn't be worrying about finding a womens board that is wide enough.

To lesson the confusion forget about shoe size and take a look at the mondo size on the boots, which is basically mm.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
This is going to get frustrating and sound repetitive, but try to hang in there, seriously.
^ this. It's going to be frustrating to get new boots... but nothing good will come from staying in too big boots (on contrary: you'll buy too big bondings and too big board).

Even if you think they fit "perfectly" right now... after some days in use, the liner will give way and you'll begin to slip around n get heel lift. Very bad.
A "good" fitting boot should feel very snug in the shop when brand new, toes touching the front.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to add, I've bought my boots before last season, with my toes just at the end of them with Snowboard socks on them. rode with them for 5 months and had no issue size wise.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
Mondo size 27. So how does this help please?
Your foot is 25cm, so you're a Mondo size 25. Mondo size is a 1 to 1 footlength in cm size.
So... go to a shop and try women's snowboard boots of that size 25 Mondo (ignore UK/US a.s.o. sizes on the tags)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have boots that fit me that I've used for several months with no issues. I'm just wanting to know if the standard size that seems to be under 24 cm waist on a women's board would be too narrow for size 9 US mens boots (8 UK)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My feet measure 25.4 and I've been wearing 32 UK size 7. I'm also reviewing this and foot width will also come into it somehow, as I understand.

I tried a women's board that was about 24.1 width and it was ok but no good if you want to carve due to boot out (depends on rear foot angle though). It was a Gnu B Street 148 or something like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My feet measure 25.4 and I've been wearing 32 UK size 7. I'm also reviewing this and foot width will also come into it somehow, as I understand.

I tried a women's board that was about 24.1 width and it was ok but no good if you want to carve due to boot out (depends on rear foot angle though). It was a Gnu B Street 148 or something like that.

yeh I have annoyingly wide feet, so these boots ended up being the best fit for me.

OK thank you for the info:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello everyone :)

So I'm going to be starting my 3rd Winter season soon, having been given free hire boards for the past 2 seasons, this year I am buying my own.

I am female, 5'3 (160cm), with size 8 uk (9US) men's Snowboard boots. I've looked over loads of websites that all seem to say different things. I would really like a women's board but alot look like they might be too narrow for me. I've been advised by a shop to not go under 24.5 at the waist; but measuring at the waist really doesn't make much sense but can't find other binding inset measurements anywhere really. So really what I'd like to know if anyone else has this experience, or knows if going for like a 24cm waist would be ok too or too narrow? as if thats too narrow it would really seem I would have look at a men's board. As they don't seem to make women's boards much wider.

Any help and ideas would be amazing. Thank you in advance :)
Yea, definitely wrong size boot. In contrast, I'm 183.5 CM tall and weigh 176 and I wear the same boot as you? Doubt it.. Definitely get refitted!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
OP, its not that the forum members didn't understand the question. Its that they saw a significant sizing miss with your boots and they are addressing that, which directly affects the issue you are asking help on. We see a lot of posts from new members that are related to wrong boot size. So forgive us if we collectively sound like broken records.

To take a shot at answering your question, IF you are in 250mm boots, a waist width of or close to 240mm should be no issue at all, assuming you have average stance width and angles. But in men's 9s (270mm), you should be looking for something at least in the high 240s if not more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, definitely wrong size boot. In contrast, I'm 183.5 CM tall and weigh 176 and I wear the same boot as you? Doubt it.. Definitely get refitted!
Yes i'm definitly shorter than you, to be honest don't weigh much less than you, and I have big feet and far too wide feet for my height unfortunatly.
Some people get fitted with boots 2 sizes smaller than their 'shoe size' and some get them bigger than their shoe size. My boots are around half a size bigger than my 'shoe size'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP, its not that the forum members didn't understand the question. Its that they saw a significant sizing miss with your boots and they are addressing that, which directly affects the issue you are asking help on. We see a lot of posts from new members that are related to wrong boot size. So forgive us if we collectively sound like broken records.

To take a shot at answering your question, IF you are in 250mm boots, a waist width of or close to 240mm should be no issue at all, assuming you have average stance width and angles. But in men's 9s (270mm), you should be looking for something at least in the high 240s if not more.

Thankyou for your response. Sorry I didn't mean to sound rude or anything, I just wanted to kinda state the size of my boots and that I'm comfortable with keeping them so more looking at the board sizing and didn't want people to like waste their time or anything.

Thank you for your suggestion. Do you by any chance know if you can find info online about board width if you know the length of the outside sole of your boot?

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I have boots that fit me that I've used for several months with no issues. I'm just wanting to know if the standard size that seems to be under 24 cm waist on a women's board would be too narrow for size 9 US mens boots (8 UK)
24 cm waist to a 9 us boot sounds about right to me. I'm like 25 cm waist to an 11 us boot. My 26 cm wide feels like an oil tanker compared to the regular wide. So if your thinking of going wider I'd say at least try before you buy.

Things you can do if your worried about toe/heel drag is get bindings with a raised base plate so your boots sit higher or get gas pedals which will push your toes a little higher. There are easy DIY approaches to both.

If you put a pic of the base with your boots strapped in we could probably tell you if you need to worry or not.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts